Sign in to follow this  

Opportunities in Somalia

Dear all,

Hope you guys are doing well. I am looking into moving to Somalia (Somaliland) for six months in the fall of 2011, inshaAllah. Do any of you know any Diaspora Somalis down there doing some kind of paid work? Or is that totally unheard of?

Thanks for any replies.

Ismalura   

Yeah it is heard of; many people from dibadaha and other African countries go there to work. I personally know two of my Somali Kenyan high school teachers who have found good jobs there. I think NGO's and other international organizations employ people and I was told that the pay is good.

Good luck.

Blessed   

Keep your eye on here http://unjobs.org/duty_stations/somalia - it's always updated with new jobs. I know a few people who went back and got jobs through cold calling and good old waasta. I think JB will be the best person for information here..

Good luck, sis. I'm spending the summer in SL and looking for volunteer opportunities otherwise I'll be bored out of my mind after two weeks.

Many thanks to both of you!

Blessed, that website is great. Fear of being bored out of my brain is the main reason I'm looking for work opportunities, too! Six months is a very long time to spend in Somalia (Somaliland) shaqalaan. I'll be definitely checking out that site regularly.

hey guys, i'm in Somaliland. living and working there. please send me an email and i might be able to help you guys out.

there are lots of opportunities here. i'm in talks with another forum members about making a recruiment site that enables people to apply for jobs - both paid and voluntary.

cheers,

Alpha

Thanks Alpha.

How long have you been there? How are you finding living there?

I'm in the creative industry here but I'm guessing I should forget about that there?

Blessed   

Not, necessarily. The beautiful thing about Somalia is that there's scope for development and opportunities in every field. Perhaps you can embark on a personal creative project in addition to whatever you manage to find yourself in. You'll get plenty of free time over there, the pace is slower and a day ends up feeling like a week.

Alhamdulilah, Ive got an encouraging reply back from an organisation I wanted to volounteer with the other day. I'm so excited. Good luck on your search too, hon. :)

Blessed   

LOL. Waxaan u malaynayaa in ay 5 Somalia u socoto. Laakin anigu Shankaroon meel aan ahayn uma socdo. :P

Haye I need the Geography of Hargaisa. Is there an area map online somewhere?

Opportunities in Somalia bay ku odhanayaan hadana Somaliland bay war ka rabaan ,,,,,, how could I help markaa dee ,,, :)

Of course there is an area map but should send u in private or through kaad garanayso ,,,, lol ,,,,, Don't wana Shabab fanatics to use it ,, haha

Well, this is Somaliaonline isn't it Jacaylbaro? Being a little selective, aren't you...

Anyway my intention wasn't to get into politics or get myself irritated by narrow-minded dividing. If you want to throw your 2 cents, you're more than welcome.

Blessed that's a great idea. Also maybe we could hook up in the summer inshaAllah. I might come to Hargeisa, it's either that or Mogadishu. I'll keep you updated later in the Spring, iA.

Blessed   

That would be nice, sis. Let's stay in touch, Insha Allah.

Jacaylbaro;683036 wrote:
Opportunities in Somalia bay ku odhanayaan hadana Somaliland bay war ka rabaan ,,,,,, how could I help markaa dee ,,,
:)

Of course there is an area map but should send u in private or through kaad garanayso ,,,, lol ,,,,, Don't wana Shabab fanatics to use it ,, haha

LOL. Waan yaabay, kuwa uu google ii soo gufay waa useless, maxaa la is ilaalinayaa. My contact na xaafada reer hebel buu igala bixi waayay. I've a very specific question, so I'll PM you.

Teeda kale, maxaad isla xawaasheneysaa. Marka kaleba SL xayasiis aan laguu dirsan waadiga soo dejiya. :P