Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Survey: Nearly 1 in 3 US Somalis live in Minnesota

N.O.R.F;680814 wrote:
What was the attraction of Min in the first place? Soomaalidu goormay gaadhay and why? I would understand NY, LA, Chicago etc ie the big 3.

The attraction; Jobs, small business opportunities, government support and low population. There is a term the rest of the US use to describe this state. "Minnesota nice".

Norf, the Somali's in MN, are becoming what the Asians are in the UK. The state has a low crime rate.The education system, and health care are also among the best in the US. It’s a prosperous and growing state. Bigger than Great Britain with less than 5 million people.

It would have been harder if the Somali community moved to Chicago, or other large Urban areas. There would be allot of tension with other minorities with jobs and living space.

The first big waves came in the mid nineties, and as the word spread of how well the residents were doing more people flocked from other states, Europe and Canada.

What the community has achieved here is remarkable. There is comfort in our number and I hope many of us stay don’t go anywhere else. Insha Allah in a few years we could have Somali members of the MN, legislator and maybe even in top echelons of the city admin.

We are under counted in this census for what ever reason. Now I am starting to believe what I used to hear from an African-American friend of mine, "blacks are no less than 20% of population" he used to argue. Under counting and lying about certain people's number is an oppression itself.