Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Sororities and Fraternaties

For those of you in North america, Would you consider joining Frats or sororities in your school?

If so, Which one and why?

Where do those of you who oppose to such organizations stand on this issue?

**This is for discussion purposes only! I am aware that some people might involve religion into this topic, and those opinions are valued but lets not get too extreme please**

Salaama

Well hun......I wouldn't think of joining any Greek alliances or houeses such as those you mentioned due to that fact that their ideaology is one of mass production.......meaning that......they all formulate ideas as a whole......and me being the free spirit I am.....i wouldn't like restrictions when it comes to my free WILL.....and I must add that they are quite influencial and foster negative notions....like the girl houses at my school are a bunch of white harlots and the frats are the jocks.......who expose the ugly truth of hazing.....which is illegal in my state. Well I had this friend of mine who wanted to join a fraternity and as part of his initiation he had to sleep with a female T.A..........and this kid was the kindest and sweetest thing to ever come to ever face his demons had he gone thru with it....WHICH HE DID NOT...now I don't know what they were trying to prove......but he would have been suspended from school......and worst then that he would have been humilated.....Well as for me you know where I stand in this whole, i don't like to generalize but these houses at my school......are a big no no for me besides we as Muslims have morals that we want to abide by daily.....and that whole atmosphere wouldn't be healthy for such.

GODBLESS YA

lol@Hustla...

Sorry to hear about your friend, but I was talking about the black organizations. White orgz do things very different with their pledging. I agree with you about the hazing bit.

However I disagree with you on the whole mass production thing...I think they give you lots of opportunities in school and later on in your career. They provide and implement services in the neighborhood and they fundraise money. They hook you up with jobs, and they are a great source of networks.

I mean there are many ways to look at frats and sororities. You can look at the positive side or the negative side, which usually occurs during your undergrad years anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't look at white sororities. In my school, most of them have a slutty reputation.

Salaama

Homegurl.......black(which I mentioned as "other" houses) and white......are both alike.......all are in the same boat in my school :( ......well I think my enmity towards these houses stems from...... a certain someone :rolleyes: getting cut off the step squad.....I was better then that Save the Last dance chick.........and so it is my mission to bring down the name and form my own drill team......lolz.....anywho how is it different in graduate school if i may ask :confused: ?........cuz i'm an undergrad freshy :D ......and WHAT....lolz..... ;) and YES white boy Timmy is living a healthy life now.......he'll just leave all that in the past smile.gif And i still do KNOW that mass production is not my cup of shaah......if the black houses in ya school do that and encourage one another...WAY TO GO...but thats unheard of here.

GODBLESS YA

Hustla,

Well, in Black orgz...If your in the graduate level and they have to invite you to join...I dont think they go through the whole pledge line as they do with the undergrad chapters.

Yeah I would agree with making my own line but unfortunately, you dont get to have as much fun as they do cuz its so national, and you wont be affliated with other colleges all over the nation either...somebody oughtta start a Somali Frat/Sorority....That would be interestin'...wouldn't it?

I don't know where you at....but I hear that they have mad connections and hookups...all over the states. Besides, I do think they do uplift eachother, even thou in undergrad years, they go buck wild. But I think its because they are new to it and all...Oh well!

Macalin   

Miss Opnionated/and the hustling lady!

Joining frats and sororities that are non academic is not very good!..black greeks do infact do some good community work,like clean highways,serving in soup kitchens and when u graduate some of the bros/sisters do help you find jobs!.

However,in most colleges we have academic fraternities which help build careers and find jobs for you!..unlike the regular greeks like the kappas,Q's and Zigmas or the Deltas or AKA's besides helping the community ,do have negatives like endless partying,collective thinking and so on and so forth!

We all know most college kids join the greek community to FIT in and me personally i wouldnt join em coz i do not need an organization to help me IDENTIFY me!..although i was approached by the KAPPAS to join..and i wouldnt advice any of my sisters to also join in!..coz its a haven for MAD -Testeterone HIGH -HORMONE -raging BROS who would do anything to find a sister..not a very safe enviroment for a young sista..na mean?!

Just curious tho sister Opinionated..WHICH SORO do u like?..DELTAS?(i hope so..them my favorites)

Lakkad,

Not everyone joins a greek to "fit in". My state is not in the South, so greeks ain't everything on campus. However, what interests me the most is that its about sister/brotherhood, and helping people, and others helping you. It's great for networking. From what a friend of mine once told me: "You make the letters, the letters don't make you"...so, once your in, ain't noone forcing you to do anything you don't want to do na'mean.

On our campus, the Kappas are supposedly the "pretty boys"...lets just say, if i was to be interested in anything it would be the "pretty girls".....and the originals...