Sign in to follow this  
The Rocks Chick

Book Club

Blessed   

Allah... nayaaa Rock;s Chick.... U start a book club and fail to inform me !!!!

You have alot of explainning to do young lady!

Count me in ... but I must conffess I am rather biased when selecting books for reading. I got to have some sort of a common connection with the characters in the book.... which I suppose rules out NY's bestsellers list. I am into African American writing...

But anyways.

What book have yous lot selected?

nice topic i would like to say i love

1 harry potter lol what can i say?

3rd and 4th book< eagerly anticipating the 5th

2 of men and mice JOHN STEINBECK classic purely<

3 clifford the big red dogg .>>

peace lol

Changed   

count me in

am all up for it

any wayz did u make a selection.......

if so informe please.......

and i am jhon grishams biggest fan am all up for #7

Nazra   

Have you guyz read the new book by Waris Dirie called: DESERT DAWN it's actually better than the last one DERSERT FLOWER..it's quite interesting i say check it out :D

Hey you guys!

It's been a while since I've been here, I want to say welcome to most of you smile.gif

Link, Nasra, Girl_F_Y_D and Saud (or Suad), welcome you guys.

Mr. L_Ice,

whatever the majority agrees to is fine by me, so sure I for one would like to support follow nomad....na'mean ;)

Haaruun,

been here and there bro, I too am a great John Grisham fan, but my favourite book is The Pelican Brief, which was also a movie.

Ameenah,

Sorry sis, this was back in july, I blame all that sun :D

Of course you're welcome, and bring your ideas with you.

Tenacious_J,

Harry Potter is too thick for me to read, but the movie I can tolerate.. :D

I started this topic back in july and althought few people showed interested, no one followed thru except moi, but even I didnt read all of them......lol

I read only, #4 which I find to be funny and interesting, and #9 which was also very intriguing (but than again anything is interesting during my long commute than looking at the faces of strangers :D )

Changed   

The Rock's Chick since alot of peeps are showing interest now how about u start over sis .....i think the best work of grisham was the client(i did'nt like the movie) and time to kill the movie rocked and so did the book ......but i love all his work

Girl_F_Y_D ,

I agree sis, but I'ld like for others to start this time :D

You should visit; JOHN SANFORD...anyone?? few of us have been discussing Author's in that topic,it is interesting check it out smile.gif

If you want to start a book club, I don't see why we shouldn't concentrate on books that are relevant to us, specifically Somali authors? Nuruddin Farah is a world reknown and celebrated Somali author. I've read several of his books (I would recommend "Maps", "Gifts" and "Secrets") and his writing skills are on par with anyone you will find on the New York's Bestseller list. On top of that, his novels all deal with Somali folklore and culture! Happy Reading!

I gotta agree with Jazeera let's concentrate on topics or authors that we could connect and what not, and if any of you are un aware M.M Afrah then your really missing out on the good stuff. If any of you guys want to get info about him just go on any search engine and type M.M Afrah and you'll get any info on him. So please let's not forget our legends.

peace:

Ariadne   

I have a book proposal, lets all read the new harry potter book coming out in the summer. Its said to have 900 pages smile.gif:D

Blessed   

^^^ Sorry mate, I've had it upto here with baby books.. 900 pages markaan akhriyeyno ma aduunkaa noo istaagey!

I've recently finished Reading Nuraddin Farah's Novel .... 'Gifts'. I am not a real fan of Mr Farah but this one was just splendid.

It is based in the 1980's Muqdishu and the main character is a single mother. Dunya a nurse lives in a run down district of Muqdishu and she basically falls in love with a rich dude .. or he with her. Anyways, the way this storey unfolds is so cool.. cos youd get a snap of her past, a bit of the presnt and at the same time the writer deals with the political situation in Somalia. He also explores the stereotypes found in Somali society, like fgm and even a crazy reer Burco female. I can say more, but I don't wanna spoil it 4 ya!

U guys have to read this book, it is funny, political and has a bit of romance in it.

Be warned though. it is not for the critical pro. dhaqan peeps. The author doesn't write for Somalis so the books lacks moral fibre (according to the Somali standards). Which is cool for me cos all somali books do is preach to ya....

If any body has read this.... or will read it ... holla back...

Hi everyone,

Welcome, I havent been here for awhile myself...been keeping busy namean :D

hey Ameenah aka Tweety, I've heard about that book and would like to read it.....hook a sista up ;)

Harry Potter,

Not exactly my kinda book, it is too thick man but I liked the movies (both of them), So I'll just wait for the third movie :D

But if y'all wanna read you're welcome to it, and it is a great idea.

later peeps