Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad

Islam and Revolutions

Muhammad   

Asalamu Alaykum,

I was reading some of the works of Muhammad Assad(ra), on the subject of Revolution and Islam.

What is Islam's view on Revolution(bringing about change in the society)?

Is it permissible, or is Islam on the side of Evolutionary change when it comes to the socio-political arena?

Kashafa   

Wa Alaykuma Salaam,

The best example would be that of Prophet Mohamed(PBUH). And reviewing his Seerah, he used both kinds of tactics. Outright military struugle(revolutionary) to bring about change, as well as through Da'wah and education.

but I don't think it was 'evolutionary';as the word implies a gradual process taking a very long time.

Bakar   

Though one could possibly make the argument that some situations require both revolution and evolution, there is nothing circular about this interplay. Evolutionary (gradual process) is the better approach, I think, when tackling crises in muslim societies. Many societies underwent all forms crises that emenated from their respective rulers. To eradicate existing social problems, revolutionary approach has in most case failed, in spite of the widely believd notion that it is antidote to the problem. Its aftermath poses difficulties to dealwith political vacuum that is left behind by the previous regime. Prime example is the unconstructive inherent in revolutionary approach in 1991 Somalia, which became a major setback to reinstate political and social order. It has been more than a decade ever since they ousted the previous regime.

Evolution is the best way to produce a society capable of dealing with any political or social issue with civility, that is, it is not driven by emotions and xenophobic behaviour. If we take look at current state of muslin society, it is apparent that we are in constant struggle which can only be attributed to the lack practice and knowledge of basic principle of Islam, which encompasses every aspect our society. Illumination of the mind and soul is the only path to promising future.

salaama

salams.. bros first of all Allah and his messenger didn't order us to revolt against our leaders.. but the ahadith show that we need to obey them...the only exception that i know of is that if the leader turns inot a "kafir" and his kufr is as clear as the sun... i lean towards a gradual change.. the prophet SAW spent 13 years in makkah planting the seeds of iman into the companions hearts and teaching them patience,, and never were they ordered to fight back despite what they were going through but to make hijra.. by the way jihad was made obligatory in madinah... so all this time in makkah they never raised a sword...

bros this topic is a very detailed one and needs to be discussed with the scholars... let's not depend on our opinions...

Allah SWA knows best..

wasalam..

FatB   

if the course is just and i meen just not (iraq has WMD lets bomb it) then we (as a wise man said) fight and continue to fight for only then can evil be held back but, not defeteded.

however, having said that islam is a "religon of tolorance and peace" and violence should be a last resort, for if u can make a change through peacfull methods isn't simple logic that that avenue should be used till exortion?