Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Somaliland booms: Economic success in Somaliland

Jabhad   

Al Jazeera's Mohammed Adow reports from the breakaway territory of Somaliland, finding that stability has built a strong economy.

BEE.jpg

On the dusty streets of the market place in the Hargeisa, the capital, goods are displayed.

Money-changers also do a brisk trade, converting between shillings, dollars and euros.

They are cashing in on relative stability in the enclave to build solid businesses.

Goods in the market are brought in through the port of Berberra. The port itself is the backbone of the territory's economy and the main source of revenue for the government.

This is the port of Berberra, the single most important facility in Somaliland, it accounts for about 80 per cent of national revenue.

Strategically located off the Gulf of Aden, which connects this part of Africa to the Middle East, it is the port of choice for many.

Ali Omar is in charge of the port's management.

"This port is important not only to Somaliland but the whole region," he says.

"Goods brought in through here find there way to Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya and sometimes even Uganda."

Two-way aid

If the docks of Berberra oil the wheels of the government, then it is remittances from abroad that keep the private sector moving.

Many families survive on money sent back by relatives in Europe, the US and the Gulf who fled during during the 1991 civil war.

The government estimates that the diaspora sends back about $500m to Somaliland every year.

Yet Somaliland's population also sends money to their relatives abroad, when the going gets tough for them.

As one woman, Amina, says:

"I am sending money to my mother who lives in Canada. I want her to come and stay with us during the summer. I have up to seven relatives living in Canada. We support each other."

Optimism

The large flows of capital have contributed to the rapid economic recovery in post-war Somaliland.

In the capital, multi-storey buildings are springing up.

The livestock sector has traditionally been the backbone of the Somaliland economy.

A seven-year ban on export of Somali livestock to the Gulf had a crippling effect on both the rural and urban economies.

However, a recent lifting of this ban has provided much optimism.

Somaliland's people for now depend on their more predictable sources of income to survive.

And for now they seem to succeed.

Source: Al Jazeera

N.O.R.F   

Some good reports by AJE this week. Hargaisa celebrations, Edna Adan at her hospital, Bebera Port. I hope they make it to Burco.

Peacenow   

The day I see a sushi bar in Hargesiya, is when you KNOW it has all come together and worked out brillantly.

Seriously, the province has done well so far, with it's resources.

So well done to the people in the north on their hard work.

The real hard work now, would be to codefiy a set of laws that can regulate business and internaction in the province that would be flexible and effective.

Sad to see that the leadership of the north has failed to use the tools the internet can bring it. A system of e government, where information is on hand at local source on the web, like Estonia or Slovenia have done, would bring measurable results, very quickly.

Sushi is nothing more than a raw salmon and a bit white polished rice, adeer people in Hargeisa consume helib and geedo adari, to my knowlege no one in the wider world can beat that.

for you information, the e-goverment of estonia was freezed by the russians at weekend. all computers was jammed, from banks to defense, and they were calling for help to nato.

with that dameer biyole, let it go, nin dadaala xaaji cabaasna waa gaadha.

AYOUB   

Mohammed Addow's reports from Somaliland have been great. He is true Ndugu and the channel's no #1 star. smile.gif