Sign in to follow this  
Koora-Tuunshe

Open Letter to Somali Diaspora (UNPOS)

Appeal to all members of the Somali Diaspora

Ahmedou Ould Abdallah

May 06, 2008

I am writing to thank you, the members of the Somali Diaspora, for your continuing patriotic support for your country. I have met many of you in Dubai, Kenya, Norway, Sweden and the US and plan to meet others in the UK, Canada and elsewhere in the near future.

I have found your letters, statements and comments generally very interesting and useful as we at the United Nations work towards the peace and stability of Somalia. It is inspiring to know so many of you are supporting the peace efforts.

Furthermore I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all of you for looking beyond the issue of tribes to strive for the good of Somalia as a whole and for your ability to take responsibility for the past and future of the country instead of simply blaming others. The remittances that you send back home on a regular basis are appreciated as a major contribution to the country’s economy.

I am asking for your continued support for the ongoing process and our challenging undertaking to return Somalia to a normal, stable country back in the international arena.

In this context I would like to inform you that I am organizing a small, technical meeting between the Transitional Federal Government and the Alliance for the Re-Liberation of Somalia in Djibouti which opens on 10 May 2008. I will keep you informed about the progress of these talks and I am sure that your positive backing will help to make them a success.

Thank you once again for your commitment. I believe that together with other committed Somalis we can contribute to a peaceful, prosperous and stable Somalia.

Yours Faithfully

Ahmedou Ould Abdallah