Sign in to follow this  
Darqawi

The Social Involvement of Women in Islam

Darqawi   

The Social Involvement of Women in Islam

By Imam Zaid Shakir

One of the persistent attacks against Islam is that it is a religion which stifles the social involvement of women. By social involvement, we mean involvement in those spheres of endeavor which occur outside of the home and impact on the general nature and direction of society. Islam, it is said, desires to divest women of any meaningful social role, to keep them “trapped†in the confines of their homes, under the constant surveillance and control of men. This claim, as we will endeavor to show, does not accurately reflect the fullness of Islamic teachings on this issue.

While Islam does advocate a social scheme which places great emphasis on the domestic role of women, it also creates ample space for their meaningful participation in public affairs. The purpose of this article is to examine aspects of that social involvement based on the Qur’an and the prophetic tradition. That examination will be preceded by a brief expose on the fundamental equality of men and women in Islam.

The Fundamental Equality of Men and Women in Islam

Read the whole article from http://www.zaytuna.org/articleDetails.asp?articleID=50

Nur   

Response Retracted For Review, Kept in its entirety in archives to be reviewed in light of Quraan and Sunnah inshAllah. Once done, a complete article summarizing my findings will be posted

Retraction was trigerred by a reminder by brother Xiinfaniin that my response may not be be defensible nor justifiable. In order not to confuse more viewers, like an automobile with a defective part, I decided to recall it, check it out and once certain that a throrogh check was made, release it back on the forum, and it may well be different than my original.

Nur

Viking   

Thanks for the article Darqawi.

Nur,

I agree with you! That single hadith (and lack of ijtihad in Fiqh) has made Muslims the most "backward" people on earth. How can a nation expect to prosper if it shuts out over half of the population? The author even forgot to mention Khadija ibn Khuwaylid (RA), whose massive role in laying the groundworks for Islam can not be overlooked.

Interesting read. JZK for the post.

A similar example can be taken from an incident which occurred during the conquest of Makka. Umm Hani’ bint Abi Talib, the sister of Imam ‘Ali, granted an oath of protection to two idolaters who had actually fought the advancing Muslim forces. When she informed the Prophet, Peace and Blessings of God be upon him, of that, he responded, “We give our collective oath of protection to anyone you have pledged to protect, Umm Hani’.†[22] This act of Umm Hani’ was a
state-level political edict
which was affirmed by the Prophet, Peace and Blessings of God be upon him. These and many other examples clearly indicate that the social involvement of women in Islam reaches the highest levels of public affairs.

Powerful example, indeed.

Nur, that post made me smile.. its been a while since I smiled after reading one of your posts.

Viking, I totally agree with you about taking single hadiths in isolation. One such that grates on my nerves is the 'muslims will break into 73 sects' one... its the #1 excuse for muslims to be passive, separate, turn a blind eye to each other's suffering and denigrate one another. What about the concept of muslim ummah? Is there even meant to be such a thing? Will there ever b? One state, one khalifah? On one hand we see people calling for the ummah to unite.. on the other, we see them willingly dividing. Muslims are confused... do you think they know what they want?

Khayr   

From Zaid Zakir's article posted by Darqawi, SOl Nomad:

We should note that the interpretation of the Prophet’s, Peace and Blessings of God be upon him, words concerning the outcome of a woman’s leadership, may involve intangibles which we are incapable of comprehending. In that context, they might not be the expression of a binding historical law. Were they the expression of such a law, they would seemingly be contradicted by events which occurred both before and after its utterance.

As for pre-Islamic times, the Qur’an itself relates the story of Bilqis, the legendary Queen of Sheba. She is mentioned in the Qur’an as attaining worldly success, [27] and as eventually accepting Islam. Ibn Kathir mentions that she commanded a council of 312 delegates, each of whom represented 10,000 men. [28] She was a very successful leader, and her people prospered under her reign.

After the time of the Prophet, Peace and Blessing of God be upon him, there are similar instances of successful woman leaders. Both in general, and in specific military campaigns, of the type undertaken by ‘Aisha. In this latter category, we could mention the British rout of the Argentines during the 1982 Falklands War. That victory occurred at a time when England was under the leadership of two women, Queen Elizabeth II, and Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

These two examples in no way contradict the statement of the Prophet, Peace and Blessings of God be upon him, “A people who depute their affairs to a woman will never succeed,†if we accept that the tradition in question has an interpretation beyond our superficial understanding. Surely, God knows best.

A nomad's Reponse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

Waxaad tiri Balqiis markay xukunka haysay waxay ahayd Gaal, waxaadna raacisay markay islaamtay ka dib way dhaaftay madaxtinameedii. Waxaan ku leeyahay uma aysan dhaafin madaxtinameedii maxaa yeelay waxay ahayd dumar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legend of zu ..

Bilqees ( the quen of Saba) was a disbeliever at that time as is clear from the verses: "I found her and her nation prostrating to the sun ...." [Verse 24]

"Verily she was of a disbelieving people". [Verse 43]

Later, with the invitation of Hazrat Sulayman (Alaihis salâm) she brought Islam. She said: "Oh my Rabb! Verily I have wronged my soul and I have surrendered with Sulayman to Allâh, Rabb of the worlds."[Verse 44]

After embracing Islam, she also surrended her kingdom to Sulayman (AS) as was the order of Sulayman (AS). This is apparent in the following verse: He said: "Do you give me abundance in wealth .... go back to them, for we will most certainly come to them with such armies that they will not be able to oppose, and we shall expel them in disgrace and they will be humbled."

It is sometimes argued that after Bilqees brought Imân, Sulayman (AS) married her and therafter sent her to rule Yemen. This argument is however incorrect because it is based on very weak Israeli narrations and besides being weak,

It may be concluded that although men and women are equal and that both have rights, they do not have the same rights. Among the sole rights of a male is that he is always the head of a family since he is the guardian of the women. Leadership of a country is in a similar vein the sole right of men. Most commentators of the Qurân have explained the verse under discussion that just as men only rule a country, lead the salâh etc. only men can be the head of a family.

A few examples are :

QURTUBI Says..... and the judges, rulers and mujahideen are among the men and this is not found among the women."

IBN KATHEER Says..... that is why nubuwat is reserved for men just as rulership ..

BAIDAWI " .... that is why nubuwat (prophethood), leading the salâh, leading a country and establishment of other sha-âir (distinguishing features) of deen (e.g. adhân, iqamah) are confined to men only.

among the ummah that female leadership is not permissible. Ijmâ is the third most important source of Islamic law and cannot be opposed.

Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "A lady is 'AWRAH' (something to be concealed). Thus when she leaves, shaytân stares at her.

In short, this verses has a major reason why women cannot rule in the Shariah. Just as she cannot lead a home, she cannot lead a country.

May Allah (sw)Increase our Islamic knowledge Ameen

w/salaam all

An SOL nomad put it well

Nur   

Nomads

Transparency is an eNuri policy, I have retracted my response after Nomad Xiin has shown me convincingly that a further analyses of this thorny topic is due before posting such a radical departure from a tradition that lasted for centuries. I am back in my library, taking dust out of books I have not looked for a long time, and will be practically a student researching the issue of womens leadership in Islam. I am going to start with no preconceptions, only DALEEL, solid proofs will be considered, InshAllah, I will share with you my in depth findings.

Nur

^ Thanks for quickly wiping that smile off my face, I didnt expect any different.

Nomad Xiin is a chauvinist and some1 like Khayr who constantly tries to overcome his insecurities about women by dipping into sacred text to prove women are inferior could never ever ever ever (cant emphasise it enough) do a better job than a woman as the head of a country...thats a fact no amount of self serving interpretations will change.

Salaams.

Khalaf   

^^^With do respect my dear sister, we shouldn't let our strong objections and emotions cloud our judgemnt. This is difficult issue that doesn't have an easy answer.

When we look at Islamic history there has never been a Woman to led the Muslim Ummah. What does that tell us-a lot. However, there is no verse in the Qu'ran which says a woman can not lead a nation. There are many ulma who object to this notion they use hadith, some even say a woman can not become a judge. Allah knows best. We all can disagree on this all day.

But we can't disagree on this known fact: A woman can not led the men in prayer in Islam. Islam encourages the seperation of the sexes. So my question if a woman can't lead a mix-gathering in salat, how can she led a nation and cabinet of a mix-gathering?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying a woman is not befit to be a leader-we all know there are many strong, intelligent woman capable, however I believe there is wisdom behind this on why awoman can not be leaders of a nation. Salaam

Khayr   

Khalaf,

well said.

Amelia,

Don't measure Goodness on a yardstick that uses Anti-Religious Metrics.

Translation: Don't sell your deen short and your self image short if it does not boast well with 21st century ideals. smile.gif

You are a Muslimah first, then somali, then a women etc...-that is how you should view yourself, if you are to take any pride in your religious tradition.

Fi Amanillah