Sign in to follow this  
MaLikah

Affirmative Action

MaLikah   

I am a former-Canadian who's been living in the States for the past couple of years. Now, for all you Canadians, I'm sure you can agree with me when I say, we know zilch about African American/Canadian history because they skipped that portion of our curriculum. What we also don't hear alot of in that part of the world is affirmative action. Recently, I was doing some research for an organization that I am apart of when I came across some interesting information.

In California and Washington, they've pretty much gotten rid of affirmative action. Now, they have become the first 2 states to remove consideration of sex and race in the public sect. This has undoubtedly affected minorities in many areas, such as public contracting, housing, employment, and college/university admissions.

As a university student myself, and an pro-affirmative action individual, I was shocked to find out about this. Needless to say, you definitely won't catch me in either states, but I wanted to know how you nomads felt about this issue. I know some Somalis don't feel they will be affected by this much, since they believe it was enacted for just African-Americans (in fact,it was for all minorities).

So nomads, speak your minds. I want to know how you really think about the situation. Do you think this will affect you at all? How? And what will this do to the nation?

MaLikah   

Yeah I do brah...its called the Washington State Initiative. I believe its been effective for the past couple of years. They put it into action rite after California, so I'd say since about, 1998-1999. Crazy huh?