Sign in to follow this  
me

Somali mass arrest in Addis Abeba

me   

Somalis held in Ethiopia capital

By Elizabeth Blunt

BBC News, Addis Ababa

Hundreds of young Somalis have been arrested in the past few days in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa.

A number were questioned and then released but it is thought at least 200 are still being held.

Most of the arrests took place on Tuesday night and Wednesday in the Bole area, the part of the town where most of the Somali community live.

A Somali embassy spokesman said he understood that security was being tightened before a regional summit.

In some cases young men were taken from their homes while others were arrested in the streets.

A spokesman for the Somali embassy in Addis Ababa said he and his colleagues were going around the police stations to find out what was going on.

No explanation

He said that following the initial round-up, police were now working their way through those arrested, checking their papers, fingerprinting them and then, if everything was in order, letting them go.

He said that as of Friday morning he believed that around 200 Somali citizens were still being held.

Asked how the embassy felt about the raids, the spokesman said he could not say they were happy but that this was the prerogative of the Ethiopian government.

He understood it had security concerns in the Bole area which is close to Addis Ababa's international airport, especially in the light of the upcoming African Union summit, and he added that if there was a security threat in Bole, then the embassy itself could be the first target.

Ethiopia's federal police spokesman, Commander Demsash Hailu, has so far not been able to offer any explanation for the arrests.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/africa /7800276.stm

Published: 2008/12/26 14:13:24 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Maskiin Alfa. Walaahay maskiin yaa saqiir. Saxiib ma kala jecla taageerayaasha CY ama tageerayaasha hebel ama hebelkale. Isku si bay noo arkaan saxiib, codowgooda iyo khatarta ugu weyn; soomaali mideysan oo wadan xoog badan leh. Taas weeye sababta ay noo kala qeybqeybinayaan, isugu keen dirayaan, qaarna u xasuuqayaan.

Marka waxan u malaynayaa saxiib inaad dabinkoodii ku dhacday. Again miskiin!

nuune   

^^^ A brother of mine who went there for short trip ayaa ku sigtey in la xiro maalmihii dhaweed, fara cidi leh ayuu kaga fakadey once he told them he is only here for short stay and was asked to show his ID, then he showed his passport.

Marka, lama kala jecla whether you support YEEY or not, this is effecting all Somalis down there.

Other people I know had being arrested and in prisons right now.

It is getting uglier, I was told!!

^But we Somalis fail to realise that. I wonder why?

Lately there have been going on fierce debate between supporters of different warlords and factions, while in same time our country have been one huge game board with those warlords and factions being the pieces on that board. The players as usual are; Ethiopia, Eritrea, USA, IGAD, EU, Yemen, Egypt............... etc etc. As a consequence our people suffer. All some people like Alfa do is..........