Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Slash-and-burn; a new politico-Islamic strategy!

Gabbal   

In fact, as I hinted in my brief, I am willing to take it even further and assert that given Somalia’s total collapse and its apparently destined territorial disintegration,
Courts revolution, though painful as it is, is the only hope for Somalia’s rebirth.

If you don't mind my saying, I find that assertion fascinating.

In reaction to it or as a result of it?

Who in their right mind would depend on A/Y when it comes to Somalia issues? Is the man a leader that is worth protecting? If he was a leader that wanted absolute peace for Somalia and its people, then he would have taken the right actions in bring peace and having opened dialogues with the people in Mogadishu. If you are a leader that is for the people, then the people without any doubt will follow your lead regardless of what tribe you are from. But who are you kidding a warlord could only get support from other warlords.

If we take A/Y out of the picture we will have the ICU running the south, the puntlanders running their territory and S-land doing the same. Surely as time went by those three states could have came to a common ground, besides the chances of a united Somalia will be a dream almost come true.

me   

General Duke,

I am giving the courts the benifit of the doubt. TFG is dead with me. The TFG will be Somalia's stray jacket and we do not need a stray jacket we need a good dosis of wadaninimo and (religious) education. I want to see the end of clans not the institutionalization of them. Strong Central government, protection of the land, equality for all and justice in the land, thats all we need from a goverment. The rest we can take care of ourselves. I am tired of clannism Duke. I just want my country back.

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Xiinoow, don't you think the "tortoise it" strategy may have a better chance of succeeding than the "s-a-b" one?
:D

I know. I completely understand where you are coming from.

Mr. Owner, how have you been thesedays? I heard that you are going to donote this site to the Islamic Courts of Somalia for Public Relations purposes.

Any truth in that rumor? I will appreciate your reply, insha-Allah.

smile.gif

Warmoog   

*Bump*

For one, I would disagree with the notion that 'Somalia is already dead' and, hence, can withstand the efforts of anyone that may attempt to set it ablaze in the hope of sparking some kind of an immediate spiritual rejuvenation. This forestry analogy has a maniacally reckless quality that I find a bit unsettling. Frankly, it sounds to me like something only those in the comfort of their homes in the West, while pontificating possible quick fixes for Somalia's dire state of affairs, can afford to entertain with any degree of seriousness.

Needless to say, I find the slash-and-burn proposition off-putting; in part, because I'm inclined to think such an imprudent would backfire if the UIC actually used it, but, more importantly, because any reasonable person would have misgivings about whether those kinds of tactics would be lawful (Islamically) to begin with. Leaving those considerations aside, I cannot get past the fact that the slash-and-burn proposition rests on the outlandish premise that Somalia's religious consciousness is dead. When viewed from a different angle, this line of reasoning would suggest that the problems in Somalia are rooted in a crisis of belief. (How did you determine that one, Xiin?) Not only is this premise wrong, in my view, it also poses dangerous implications that would further factionalize Somali society.

^^Warmoog, Somalia is a tragedy that refused to go away. It has ceased to function as a state sixteen years ago. You need to understand what that entails though as you seem to have challenged the central point of my argument. Simply put, what that means is a total collapse of an entire nation---literally. In my estimate, and without exaggeration, Somalia risks extinction as a country if the current status qua remains unchanged! When you read news commentary about Somalia’s descend into anarchy and its lawlessness imagine mayhem at its worst degree and its social consequence! When you hear the suffering of our famine-induced starvation imagine the mass exodus that naturally follows. Of course there are pockets of stability in the east and in the north---no denying about it! But Somalia’s breadbasket region (South) remains dismal and dire. Add the clear external exploitation of our internal implosion to the already mentioned, painful, fact. The practical implication of a state that has been without defense for the last sixteen years should not get lost on you! If the chief deduction of that narrative is not the death of a nation, I don’t know what it’s! Now how does slash-and-burn notion remedy this calamity is a legitimate inquiry that needs a careful probe! But you need first to make a strong handshake with the truth as it were and understand the problem for what it really is; that Somalia is dead, and to revive it and inject a second life into it requires a drastic change. Whether my slash-and-burn theory meets that requirement is a different argument altogether yaa Warmoog.

But since you seem to have a lingering thought and wondered out loud as to what would the result be had the courts followed my slash-and-burn suggestion, I must remind you that these courts have already practiced it in the south.

You need to look no further then Mogadishu and see what happened when men of religion led a violent uprising against men who dominated southern politics for the last decade and half! To them the calculus was clear: probable civilian casualties which such urban wars will inevitably cause would be a calculated price to pay for the attainment of the greater good! So all I am really advocating is the repeat of what happened in Mogadishu and in Kismayo throughout the south. To do that would involve in some degree of slashing and burning, you see, but not to the level that you’ve literally interpreted it. I am hardly setting the country ablaze as you suggested yaa Warmoog!