Sign in to follow this  
Hales

population of Somali region of Ethiopia

Hales   

http://******ation.blogspot.com/2009/11/asharq-al-awsat-talks-to-onlf-leader.html

According to this guy the Somalis number at around 8Million, but Ethiopian cencus puts it at 4.5; i also have a hard time believing the Ethiopians since they can skew the number for political reasons.

But 8Million is larger than the 10Million Somalis in Somalia. Plus take Somaliland out that would put it at 7.6 Million.

theres no way you can liberate that many and even if you do; successfully have the recources and the money to hold on to it.

Faafan   

That doesnt make any sense, how does a population been too large correlate to not been able to "liberate land", thats absurd.

There is no accurate count of the the population.Neither the Goverment or ONLF have a clue.Both estimates are Politically motivated, but its is generally accepted that the Somali population is the third biggest in Ethiopia after the Oromo and Amhara.

Your been very narrow minded and simplistic...the issues are more complex than your mind can fathom at your level of thinking.

Cowke   

The onlf are located in strategic position. They shouldn't waste their time fighting the ethiopians but rather use their strategic positioning in ethiopia to influence somalia politics. For example if the onlf signed a ceasefire agreement with ethiopia and demanded that the onlf state have the position of foreign minister or the somalia portfolio i am quite certain they will get it.

Imagine all Somalia leaders going to addis to get orders from wiil-waal in the same fashion as they do now to get orders from seyfoum mesfin lol.

The ONLF would influence who becomes president and who doesn't in somalia plus manage who becomes minister and who don't and at the same time they can always make sure onlf ppl within somalia are well looked after in terms of development.

I personally would prefer if the onlf would work with puntland and strategically always make sure ethiopia/kenya always support puntlanders in somali politics.

Hales   

Jabhad @ saxib That liberation statement was ridiculous of me, i was too emotional when i wrote it. But this guy says he control the desert and villages and controls the cities at night; if this is true then then you would have taken his views more seriously.

You say the numbers are not accurate

No one is saying these estimates are accurate from both sides, considering the population is in general difficult to count because of the nomadic culture of the populace and also take in the fact that Ethiopia recource-wise is poor. But saying they dont have a clue is going over the top. Plus its not clear that the 4.5 Million Ethiopian government figure is politically motivated otherwise they would do the same thing for other regions and this is from 2005 when the area wasnt perceieved by them to be as much of a threat.

"If numbers were anything Oromia would have taken over all the horn already."

This statement is so random and uninformed,lol.