Sign in to follow this  
Waaq

The recognition of Somaliland

Waaq   

Of late, support for the recognition of Somaliland has increased. In large part because of support from South Africa. I do not want to debate the merits of recognition of Somaliland. Rather, most articles I have read state as the main need for recognition is the ability to borrow money from the international organizations, and receive aid from western governments. This is being heard increasingly from members of the Somaliland administration.

I believe that World Bank/IMF loans and foreign aid will only hurt Somaliland or a united Somalia. It is my belief that these are essential another tool of control. In my humble opinion, any future Somali state must reject these forms of assistance and make do with what we have. You often read about the contradicitons of Somalia, no central government yet booming business and advanced telecom. This has all been done with little to no outside assistance. So why can't we develop our country using our money and sweat. It is time Africans refuse aid, and rely on their own.

What do you fellow nomads think about this?

Baashi   

I think future Somali state will be financially hard-pressed. Some may well argue with you about the need for financial emergency fund by the future state to rehabilitate and jump-start the economy outweighs the downside of IMF policies. There is no question about the IMF policies being a tool the bullies in the West use to control 'us' in the third world under disguise of "liberalizing the economy" crap but I honestly don't see a way out for the poor states in the third world let alone our failed state. We are, and will be, in this trap for sometimes to come.

As much as I would like us to be financially free, the chance that happening very soon is almost zero. I'd be interested to know if nomads know a way out from this economic shackles IMF/World Bank put on us. Granted the part of the blame should be placed on ourselves but I believe there is 'world order' out there, backed by power and wealth, controling all the economic decisions.

I see one remote possibility that can save us from IMF/World Bank bullying tactics and that is if we can somehow negotiate a loan package from Islamic Bank. Anything short than that, in my humble opinion, is not a feasible alternative.

Bachelor   

As far as i am concerned, i have not seen a single country that is better-off because of IMF. Look at Argentia, Turkey and Brazil. They are merely an economic terrorist if you will. One of my major problem with IMF is as Baashi said "bullying" they are the one who want to make the decision what is good for you and what is not. They dont just give you the loan and let you manage it. They will ruin your coummintee. For instance, take a look at what they did to the local population of Gunjit river in India.

What is going on in all over Somalia right now is really promising and encouraging sign that we can do it without their mess.

Ibtilo   

Somaliland has done well so far, besides I think its teaching us how not to rely on outside forces lets face it, all the warlords get their backing somehow, Abdi qasim from the arabs, some from ethiopia, etc...

Somaliland has been doing its own thing all the time and we are doing better for it.

I think if we continue to build our nation Somaliland, all will be well.

But the main thing is not to get off topic as the Somalia people do, by that i mean, when they constently talk ish about Somaliland.

I think if we keep to our own affairs and our people, with the help of Allah all will be well.

Gardaro has never been our style, so let Somalia have a dealing in that area, but we stay clean and easy.

-Ibtilo

Go to Somaliland News they have alot of good articles written by non Somalis about the support for Somaliland.

P.S. support is growing guys soo much soo that am kinda shocked. ohh well whooo piiiiiiiii

Saalixa   

waaq,

if s/land was getting financial help from abroad countries it would have been rich and very rich by now. But it's not and people esp the authority are struggling prosper s/land and meet the demands for a still developing nation.

so i disagree with you in this matter.

it is difficult to avoid IMF/World bank's money and their dictation to third world countries but if we employ good economists and honest politicians who care their country and eliminate corruption and put the money in good use then we may have a chance to escape the fate of other third world nations who suffered because of IMF/World bank.

mojam   

all that the imf/worldbank do is colonize 3rd world countries economically. When a country takes a loan from the imf or worldbank they agree to certain conditions such as spending less money social services such as schools, hospitals, and gov administrative jobs. This in turn means that less people are working in these traditional fields and less money is put into the economy (because many people have lost their jobs as teachers, nurses, doctors, etc).

At the same time the country taking the loan is encouraged or rather forced to spend on productive industries not needed in that particular country but in countries far far away and way more richer (countries that support the imf and world bank).

The imf and wb always turns the economies of the borrowing nations into producing/exporting economies. The borrowing country will export a product to make money to pay back all these loans even it it means that this product is needed more in the country itself. However, the loan will never ever be paid off because there is so much interest charges. (unless the country is lucky and finds a fast way to make ca$h).