Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

Range on the Run

Xudeedi   

It seems the world is coming to know of this problematic deal.

Range on the run

April 21, 2006

In a sign of just how desperate oil companies are becoming to replace reserves, a mystery "oil major" has signed a letter of intent with Range Resources.

Range has the rights to 50.1 per cent of the oil and minerals in the semi-autonomous state of Puntland in Somalia - a place that oil majors like Houston's Conoco abandoned in the face of civil war 15 years ago.

The civil war is over in that part of Somalia. But the ******* clan is upset at the Puntland Government's handling of the Range deal and Somali sources report 10 people have died in clashes with the president's militia in the last month.

On Wednesday, an ex-pat member of the ******* clan told Xchange that at least two other clans and subclans were gearing up for more bloody battles.

Despite the political difficulties, yesterday's announcement sent day traders into a tizzy, making Range the most-traded stock on the ASX - 101 million.

The shares rocketed 1.4c to a steepling 5.2c before closing at 5c, after a week-long trading halt was lifted. No oil has yet been found in commercial quantities in Puntland but Range believes a few wells in the right places could rectify the situation. The company promised to reveal the name of the mystery oil major today.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

[ April 22, 2006, 01:53: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

art   

Maakhir, there is no point, I'm just following the direction which you started in the thread.

I presented information...thats all.

BoiBoi   

Maakhir,

What do you want Somalia to be? Do you think us Somalis have right to Prosperity?

If Allah has truely blessed us with resources maybe his devine plan was to makes us suffer before savouring the fruits of our Blessed land.

I for one think we should allow them a chance to open Somalia to the World.

N.O.R.F   

^^It is ok for Somalis to die in the process? Is it legal? do you really think Somalis will benefit?

Killing your fellow Somalis for the benefit of others???

art, forward more info mate, you seem to know more about this than some here..

Makhir seems to rush every time, can you update me on the armed struggle you was promoting?

Northerner, your point is not valid here, no one is being targeted here and it sure is legal for Puntland state which is part of the internationally recognised TFG to exploit its resources..

N.O.R.F   

Northerner,

There are plenty of our brothers dying from a lack of anything. Do you find that acceptable?

Answer a question with a question, a progressive debate indeed,,,

Let me try to make more simple, dying because of a lack resources whether it be due to lack of governance or lack of rain is quite different to that of killing your brothers for the benefit of a foriegn company to conduct 'research'. You get me?

Northerner, your point is not valid here, no one is being targeted here and it sure is legal for Puntland state which is part of the internationally recognised TFG to exploit its resources..

Legal without consulting with other tribes who reside there and are opposed to it? What is it mobb rule?

ps we both know the TFG is seen as a joke 'internationally' ;)

^^^ Legally tribes or in this case clans dont mean anything, as they are represented by the authorities on the ground. What is legal is not always moral. But dont get yourself confused futher. The state of Puntland has given its support, which the areas, Majiyahan [bari], Nugal, and other parts are within. The TFG, has given its support so thats what makes it a legal.

As for the last comment, I for one see no one prospecting anthing in Somaliland, so if Raange a listed company and now Knoc a Multinational are working in and coming to Puntland, who is the Joke?

The TFG in 1 year and a half has the recognition of the world, what have you achieved Mr Secesionists ;)

N.O.R.F   

What is legal is not always moral.

Thanks for clarifying your position, Mr Somalinimo iyo dalnimo :rolleyes:

The TFG in 1 year and a half has the recognition of the world, what have you achieved Mr Secesionists

:D Cheer on saxib, questions beg, What is recognition without peace? How long will the TFG get its act together and actually do something progressive? When do you expect peace? When will elections (local/national) take place? Do you expect warlords to bring peace? realism saxib, realism,,,,

Insha allah peace will come about soon but i'm not confident it will be brought from a warlord govnt. I would rather be unrecognised if the other option is anarchy and meyhem ;)

That is reality my friend, as for the incident in Bari, I have always stated it is not a big deal.

Puntland has a right to exploit its wealth to betetr itself and the Somali state. The importance of this project [Range] is to find out how much this wealth is in terms of hydro carbons and other worldly valuable minerals.

Your last comments gives an insight into your thinking, that this government will self negate and thus give credit to the lame claim that Somaliland the beacon of hope in the Horn should be recognised...

I am optimistic thus far, one the government has avoided all conflicts within the country, it has peacefully moved back into the country.

It has the support of its people and the interantional community on the whole. The country is more than 90% stable with the exception of the major urban areas in the south.

I do recognised it will take a long time to regain the whole nation but we are on the right direction.

BoiBoi   

I truly believe that Puntland/Somalia will be the envy of Africa in a few years time.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think for one moment Somalis will sit around and be helplessly taken for granted. After 15 year of war one thing is for sure Somalian character is alive and strong.

Xudeedi   

Duke and Boiboi, I have been tolerant of your invective words towards the people of Sanaag.

I don't endorse the legitimacy of this Building Block as having a jurisdiction over Sanaag. Contrary to how it is portrayed, Sool and Sanaag aren't part of Puntland in legality.

I think your cyber duty is to foment discontent and sidestep the political reality on the ground.

Listen, Puntland is a tribal administration that has no legitimacy as a state but only exists as a "building block". Though formulated in 1998 as an alternative to the Anarchy for the regions that qualify for a "state of recovery" status, Puntland is part of the six political units. Part of what you read there have evolved into the current Federal Transitional Goverment, as these issues are incorporated into it.

Puntland , comprised of three regions, is under the state of recovery. Other regions have yet to improve under the "state of crisis" despite a number of unsuccessful clan conferences of the main tribe in Mogadisho.

The attendant consequence of how this administrative region (self-declared as an autonomous state) came to involve of Sanaag and Sool's political map was the presidential ambition of Colenel Abdilahi Yusuf in his pursuit of a larger constituency. However, the W clan , in its entire territory, doesn't fall to this 'building block" but since their territory extends to Bari region, (The Main Suldaan confirmed repeatedly of this fact, even on BBC), this particular sub-segment find themselves part of this political settings and agreed to participate, and they, as a result, received the Speaker of Parliament post. (Open your eyes and see who to these two persons, the current and his predecessor, belong to, of what sub-segment of W??).

Your biggest error seems to rest on the main W segment collectively as though they are supportive of this "building block" system. It will be wise if you don't resort to jibes and poor judgement of this building block.

Somalitalk

----------------------

Editors' note: According to this Briefing, Puntland and Somaliand are part of the 'building blocks' based on a "Clan family" endorsed By the UN Security Council as part of six political units intended to be an alternative to the Anarchy. It also reveals how particularly Ethiopia supports the idea of regional administration as opposed to centralized structure. The U.N also endorses Punt land as comprised of only three regions..

Written in 1998, Patrick Gilkes, states of the purpose that justifies the incorporation of Sool and Sanaag into Puntland, a forgone conclusion. "Indications are that Colonel Abdullahi Yusuf has his eyes more on Mogadishu and the leadership of Somalia as a whole, rather than just Puntland. One illustration of this has been Puntland's claim to two of the regions of Somaliland, Sol and Sanaag."

For simplicity and emphasis, we have assembled the elemental paragraphs that constitutes the most relevant and critical aspect of the Building Block Policy .

^^^ Thanks for the effort Makhir, but alas all you provided was the Somali tendency to exagerate and create myths when there is need for reason.

The deal with Raange and Knoc is no different to the deals other oil producing countries have with Multinationals and organisations from western or developing nations.

I suggest one reads the history of hydrocarbon exploitation in the Arab world...