Sign in to follow this  
Thankful

Somalia: Sharif Appoints a Political Novice to PM

Thankful   

Seems that the Puntland government disapproves of Sharif choice for PM. In fact they see it as a violation of a previous agreement.

--------

Garoweonline

Somalia

Somalia: Sharif Appoints a Political Novice to PM

14 Oct 14, 2010 - 12:25:55 PM

Somalia President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed appointed a new Prime Minister Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed almost a month after the resignation of prime minister omar Abdirashid. Radio Garowe Reports.

"I appointed Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed who was a former Somali diplomat to be the prime minister of Somalia," Ahmed told reporters in his office in the capital Mogadishu.

According to Somali government statement, Abdullahi worked in the Somali Embassy in Washington from 1985 to 1988.

The prime Minister has trained conflict resolution and leadership skills at Erie Community College, a member of the State University of New York (SUNY) system, He has a master's degree in political science from SUNY-Buffalo, the statement read.

Abdullahi was born in Mogadishu in 1962, he held jobs in the U.S. including municipal posts in the Buffalo District.

Former Somalia's prime minister, Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke resigned on 21 last month to prevent what he called political turmoil amid an impasse with the country's president.

The resignation comes amid a rift between Sharmarke and Ahmed over a new draft constitution. The two have not gotten along for months, and a vote of confidence on the prime minister had been scheduled over the past month.

Independent Analyst tells Garowe online that Mr. Mohamad's appointment violates both the later and the spirit of the Djabouti peace process which stipulated that the top position are divided betwen the TFG led by Abdulahi Yusuf and the UIC [ Islamic Courts Union] which was formerly led by Sheikh Sharif among the others.

Somalia has been wracked by conflict ever since President Siad Barre was ousted in 1991 and although the administration of President Ahmed has the backing of the United Nations and AU, he faces a stubborn armed resistance from the very Islamist insurgent groups he created to fight against his predecessor.

GAROWEONLINE

^^^Garowe-online statement is accurate, the PM is indeed a novice, but is far more educated and worldly than the man who appointed him. :D

The reason for his choice is clear...

Thankful   

I don't know to be honest. But we know who owns Garoweonline, so I am pretty sure this is an indication of what Puntland's position is. We shall see!

I personally think Sharif will try and reach out to Faroole in some way and offer him something to compensate for not having the PM (maybe something like the Gaalkaayo Accord).

Lets be honest with the size of Puntland and the Peace it enjoys, plus the fact it doesn't hold secessionists day dreams. He needs to keep close connection to it.

Thankful   

Che,

I have no clue what Agreement they are talking about. Also, I don't see why someone from Gedo wouldn't satisfy any such agreement (if there was one).

^^^Sharif won’t move towards Puntland, he has enough battles, such as fighting the new constitution, extending his term date and derailing the Federal system.

He has many battles that he is readying himself for.

Thankful..I think we ought to curb this notion that a particular group of Somalis are entitled to run the country.The premiership and the presidency have been alternated between just two groups of Somalis.One of these two groups doesn't get what it wants-it automatically opposes the government for no good reason. This is detrimental to entire Somalia.

Hopefully the choice of Mr.Farmaajo will change the notion that the two top positions belong to Puntland and "Mogadisho" tribes.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by General Duke:

^^^Garowe-online statement is accurate, the PM is indeed a novice, but is far more educated and worldly than the man who appointed him.
:D

The reason for his choice is clear...

What makes him a novice? He has been in government for over thirty years, educated on matters of governance, and has experience in managing budgets and planning than any Somali leader anywhere in power in Somalia now. Not to mention he is an educator on matters of conflict resolution which is what Somalia desperately needs.

^^^That was an ironic statement adeer, a novice in Somali politics of the type we are used to. But he is educated and worldy, will his experience in the US help him navagate the nonsense in Mogadishu?

He is not Barre Hiirale, or Taano and thats a wonderful development, if I may add.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by General Duke:

^^^That was an ironic statement adeer, a novice in Somali politics of the type we are used to. But he is educated and worldy, will his experience in the US help him navagate the nonsense in Mogadishu?

He is not Barre Hiirale, or Taano and thats a wonderful development, if I may add.

Glad to see he has your support. smile.gif

^^^Why would he not have my support? I believe if he plays his cards right he might rest power from the ignorant buffoons who have led this particular family of ours into the bog. I also would like to state again that no one should place any blame on this man if this ship finally sinks, he has a short time and its Sharif who should take any or all the credit for the coming fire that will blow this weak house down.

Yes the new PM, has my support thus far, from what I know of him, heard about him through family channels and the brief conversation we had.

Thankful   

Che, I completely agree. Some one should be judged by their merits and not where they come from or who they are born to.

I personally think the reason Puntland has been represented in the highest positions within the TFG is because it has maintained law and order better then other regions. Most importantly it is far more organized then anywhere else and it should be rewarded! It takes in 10s of thousands of internally displaced from other parts of the country which are too violent.

Puntland has earned the right to run the TFG or be Prime Minister, because of it's hard work to try and run a peaceful region within chaotic Soamlia.

How do you expect to run the nation if your backyard is a mess?

Originally posted by Thankful:

Seems that the Puntland government disapproves of Sharif choice for PM. In fact they see it as a violation of a previous agreement.

If that is the case then I wonder when will Puntland ever get the state or quality of being fully grown or developed, the state of being politically mature and learn that NOT all the time she'll get a bargain at the auction iimaanka isku ceshaan is cebaynin dhahaya and somalia is not Puntland only!