Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

Mine and ammunitions clearing in Somaliland, against all odds.(Pic)

Fyr   

Originally posted by LANDER:

Fyr-Kanten,

sxb are these SA-2 missiles being disarmed in Somaliland too?

YES!

Clearing of the STYX and SA-2 missiles was done in 2002 by DANDEC ( Danish Demining Center)

The Russians installed these antiaircraft defences and put surface to air missiles around Hargeisa and Berbera. When they pulled out of the country they cut all the wires to the missiles, but left all the missiles on the launching ramp and in the bunkers. After all these years up to now the missiles have been a constant threat and it has prevented normal air traffic for the Hargeisa Airport and has hindered the expansion of these cities.

The (DANDEC) is not there to dismantle all of these arsenals and to clear all the land mines; they are there to instruct them on how to dismantle and to clear all of these land mines. After that the Somaliland government is going to handle mine and ammunitions clearing, and the dismantling of the missiles.

Fyr   

Originally posted by LANDER:

thats interesting sxb, can you provide a link.

thanks

Yeah sure!, if you can read in swedish :D

demining

page 30-31

N.O.R.F   

I remeber borading a plan from Gatwick to Djibouti, then onto Hargaisa, i got speaking to a cadaan guy from Birmingham, i was very curious to know why he was going to Somaliland. We got talking about his line of work, Mine Clearing. A very dangerous job being to on our behalf by a chain smoking midlander whom i wouldnt even consider a regular visitor to the homelands.

I made it know how appreciative i was of his dedication in leaving his family for several months at a time to clear mines in Africa. Him having a few to drink at Djibouti Airport and getting on the flight to H Town gave me second thoughts as to if he will be able to do his job lol :D .

Nice post Fyr-Kanten!

LANDER   

Originally posted by Fyr-Kanten:

Yeah sure!, if you can read in swedish
:D

page 30-31 [/QB]

:D , thanks for the link sxb unfortunately I can't read a lick of swedish. What I was wondering though is why these missiles were not salvaged, Were they obsolete due to their age? or was it simply too dangerous to try and salvage them. Perhaps its has to do with that UN arms embargo. Maybe you can tell me if it mentions anything about this in the swedish text.

Well Sophist, as Fyr Kanten clearly stated, the missiles were brought by the Sovjets and managed by them. The Somali government had virtually nothing to do with the military hardware of the late Sovjet Union.

However most of the mines were left behind by the 26th sector of the SNA Somali National Army based in Hargeisa that was commanded by Gen Abdiaziz Ali Barre.

I have to find some information on the net to back this up, but the bulk of the mines laid in North West Somalia to damage the mobility of the SNM was under the reign of Gen Abdiaziz Ali Barre.