Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The Brits try to influence the American election.

NGONGE   

The UK based Guardian newspaper had come up with an ingenious idea to affect the outcome of the forthcoming American elections. I couldn’t cut and paste the replies they received because of the filter on this site. Still, I think most of you that have been following this race will appreciate the humour, sarcasm and cheer idiocy in some of the replies that the guardian received.

Last week G2 launched Operation Clark County to help readers have a say in the American election by writing to undecided voters in the crucial state of Ohio. In the first three days, more than 11,000 people requested addresses. Here is some of the reaction to the project that we received from the US.

The replies are to be found in the link below.

America’s reaction to the British scheme :D:D

Baashi   

Please keep in mind that I am something of an anglophile, so this is not confrontational.
Please remember, too, that I am merely an American. That means I am not very bright. It means I have no culture or sense of history. It also means that I am barely literate, so please don't use big, fancy words.

Set me straight, folks!

:D

LANDER   

Have you not noticed that Americans don't give two shits what Europeans think of us? Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you ****** , yellow-toothed pansies ... I don't give a rat's *** if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. If you want to have a meaningful election in your crappy little island full of shitty food and yellow teeth, then maybe you should try not to sell your sovereignty out to Brussels and Berlin, dipshit. Oh, yeah - and brush your goddamned teeth, you filthy animals.

Wading River, NY

LOL...this one had me laughing. Americans are not all as dumb as one might think. You also have to admit that its very hypocritical for the Brits to convince americans not to vote for Bush when they can't even get rid of Bush's little handkerchief Blair. If there is one thing I agree with the american on, that's cocky little old Britain often over-estimates its relevance in International relations. You also have to admire the americans for their unrelenting patriotism and anybody who believes this little initiative from the guardian is a good idea has it coming.

oh yeah...this one too

Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican to a man - to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.

United States

AYOUB   

Originally posted by LANDER:

You also have to admit that its very hypocritical for the Brits to convince americans not to vote for Bush when they can't even get rid of Bush's little handkerchief Blair.

Saaxib I think if the Brits had a real alternative they wouldn't hesitate for a sec. Blair's opposition major opposition over here are the notorious Conservatives who were more vocal in support of the war than the ruling Labour party. Unlike in the US elections, people over here vote for the local MP's only and the winning party's leader becomes the PM. Blair is supposed to be good for domestic issues and no PM will ever say NO to Uncle Sam anyway and the Brits might as well try to get an 'uncle' who is good for them. :D

Americans are not all as dumb as one might think.

It's almost impossible to misunderestimate their dumbness :D

LANDER   

Ayoub,

you have a 3rd viable option, the Liberal-Democrats. I find it odd how somali british citizens were trying to convince me this summer that America is the devil while Great-Britain can do no wrong. For some odd reason they associated me with everything american and I was hearing so much propaganda that I found myself in the unlikely position of actually defending the US. Whenever I would bring up british foreign policy they always seem to come up with excuses like my friend Ayoub did above :D . So I ask you young brits, why can't you elect the liberal-democrats to power? We have a liberal government here in Canada and that government abstained Canada from the war. Canada does 80% of its trade with the US and has alot more to lose than britain in case of fall out between the two countries. So no excuses for the english muffins :D .

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

It's almost impossible to misunderestimate their dumbness

The word "misunderestimate" has the malodor of a newfangled neologism. Yes, it smells like something Bush would say. I hope you utilize it only as a jocularity jab.

AYOUB   

I find it odd how somali british citizens where trying to convince me this summer that America is the devil while Great-Britain can do no wrong. For some odd reason they associated me with everything american and I was hearing so much propaganda that I found myself in the unlikely position of actually defending the US.

Thats what you have to put up with when you live at house number 668 :D

Bro the Libdems are a long shot considering their performances in previous elections, i'm sure they'll do well next time but, in the mean time lets focus our negative energies on Bush, shall we? :D Remember, even the leader of the Libdems' speech at last year's anti-war rally included ''i'm here as an individual''.

The result of the 97/01 Elections

Labour............413..418

Tories.............166..165

Lib Dem...........52...46

Others..............28...29

AYOUB   

They've done it again!

Corrections and clarifications

Monday October 25, 2004

The Guardian

The final sentence of a column in The Guide on Saturday caused offence to some readers. The Guardian associates itself with the following statement from the writer. "Charlie Brooker apologises for any offence caused by his comments relating to President Bush in his TV column, Screen Burn. The views expressed in this column are not those of the Guardian. Although flippant and tasteless, his closing comments were intended as an ironic joke, not as a call to action - an intention he believed regular readers of his humorous column would understand. He deplores violence of any kind."

Paper sorry for 'kill Bush' line

NASSIR   

Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican to a man - to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.

This is very funny. I mostly concur with this quote. Why do the Europeans interest much the U.S elections. In fact, not a single medium in U.S covers the British elections or any other Euro country.

lol

On the other hand, here is link you can read the British responses to the U.S elections.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1326066,00.html

NASSIR   

Antonia Fraser

O duty

Why hast thou not the visage of a sweetie or a cutie ... ?

Why art thou so different from Venus?

And why do thou and I have so few interests in common between us?

These sentiments on the subject of duty, so brilliantly expressed by Ogden Nash, may well be yours, dear Unknown, when I, a national of another country, urge you to do your duty and vote in your coming presidential election. In fact, of course, we have all too many interests in common. When you vote - and please do vote by the way, even if you disagree with everything I am about to say - that vote will have as much effect on my future and the much longer future of my children and grandchildren, as it will on your own. For this is a crucial election, the most crucial, I believe, of my lifetime (and I first voted in 1955!).

As the bumper stickers put it, "Re-defeat Bush". But, this time, do it so overwhelmingly that neither his brother's friends in Florida nor his father's friends on the Supreme Court will be able to rig the count. Decent Americans - there are absolutely more intelligent, educated, civilised, cultivated, compassionate people in America than in any other country in the western world - please show your electoral muscle this time around. We in the rest of the world, who sadly cannot vote in the one election that really affects our future, are depending on you. Please don't let us down.

· Richard Dawkins is professor of the public understanding of science at Oxford University. More letters to Clark County will be appearing in G2 over the next fortnight.

This is very true. The undecided voters are ruining any hopeful result of the elections. Worrisome enough, people who care less of their future or the political situation of their domestic and foreign issues.