Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Can anyone beat Federer?

N.O.R.F   

FED-EXPRESS FAR TOO HOT FOR CHILEAN

1493917.jpg

Roger Federer claimed the 10th Grand Slam title of his career with a straight sets victory over Fernando Gonzalez in the final of the Australian Open.

The world number one stretched his unbeaten run to 36 matches in securing a third straight win Down Under.

"I've had a great run here again this year and I'm very proud to be holding this trophy," Federer said.

"Fernando is one of the great guys on the tour and I am happy for him to have played so well here."

Gonzalez certainly played his part in an entertaining match but appeared to run out of steam as his efforts in reaching the final took its toll.

Federer went on to win by a 7-6 (7-2), 6-4, 6-4 scoreline to become the first man to win a Grand Slam without losing a single set since Bjorn Borg in 1980.

However, he could well have seen that record disappear in the first set when Gonzalez had two opportunities to go 1-0 up.

The Chilean, 5-4 up on his own serve, showed his first sign of nerves to let the chance slip through his hands before going on to lose the tie break.

Gonzalez received treatment on a shoulder injury during the changeover but the opening six games of the second set were dominated by serve.

Federer - who constantly used the tactic of coming into the net - secured the one break he needed in the seventh game before going on to serve out for the set to love.

The third followed a similar pattern with Gonzalez having to work hard to keep the defending champion at bay.

Eventually Federer ground down his rival, a 24-shot rally leading to a 4-3 lead despite Gonzalez managing to save four break points.

Federer went on to serve out for the match in style, a crunching backhand winner on his first match point securing victory and a third straight success at Melbourne.

The 25-year-old has also now beaten Gonzalez in all 10 of their meetings on court.

"It was a really special tournament for me," Gonzalez said. "Roger is a great champion and he played great all tournament."

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1249232,00.html

ps Serena beat that Russian well and proper!

Jaylaani   

I only watch the women’s tournament. Tennis should be left out for the ladies.

North,

Is this guy better that Sampras? I never seen him played except the highlights here and there.

P.S. Serena destroyed that little girl.

N.O.R.F   

lol

I dont know. I was big fan of Sampras but i think Federa brings more of an all round game. Sampras had a serve and volley game but he also had more competition in Agasi, Becker etc. Federa doesnt have any competition. I dont think you can call Rodick competition and Nadal needs a few more years.

Looks like Serena is back!

Man! That dude is just too much.He did not loose one single set this OZ open. The last guy to do that was back in the 80s[Dont know his name,some norge dude]. I hate watching him,he is too powerful & dominating.

Sharapova was wayyyyy too cocky when she was facing the unranked Serena. Serena pounced on her like the Tigress she is smile.gif

Viking   

Originally posted by Northerner:

I dont know. I was big fan of Sampras but i think Federa brings more of an all round game. Sampras had a serve and volley game but he also had more competition in Agasi, Becker etc. Federa doesnt have any competition. I dont think you can call Rodick competition and Nadal needs a few more years.

North,

Everyone was a fan of Pete Sampras. Sampras' games used to be as struggle and very often were cliffhangers. But Federer is so good he makes good strong players like Nadal and Roddick look average. He has the ability of even surprising himself at times with some breathtaking tennis. Sampras won 14 grand slams in his career and Federer (only 26 years old!) made it 10 with the win down under. By this time next year he might equal Sampras' record, that's how good he is. Sampras was the 'King of Swing' but Federer is simply, THE KING!...and the scary thing is that he is getting better every year.

Lol Brown Tigress kuye..You mean you were there following the the two green covered balls more than the tennis ball, no?

I couldn't not help but laugh as she played/toyed with Shepa !

As for Federer he is not human...I was watching the slow motion of him returning a ball - it was absolutely amazing how he had his eyes on the ball until he hit the ball from the angle he wanted with the speed he wanted to the direction he wanted -Like Matrix Style - he is Neo 4 Tennis.

Cheers