Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Fowler back at Anfield!!!!!

N.O.R.F   

Watch out Chelsea and Arsenal (especialy Arsenal)

Liverpool make shock Fowler swoop

Fowler scored 171 goals during his first spell with Liverpool

Manchester City striker Robbie Fowler has made a surprise return to former club Liverpool on a free transfer.

The 30-year-old striker, who has joined Liverpool for the rest of the season, made his debut for the Reds as an 18-year-old in 1993.

He scored a total of 171 goals in 330 games for the Anfield side.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez told the club's website: "He's got a wealth of experience and he gives us more attacking options."

Benitez added: " He's a different kind of striker to what we have at the club.

"We have signed a player with so much passion for this football club and I think he will act as an example to every player here in how much he loves Liverpool.

"I'm not sure I've ever seen a player quite so happy to be joining a club before.

"He hasn't been signed because he loves the club; he's been signed because he's one of the best goalscorers ever to play in the Premiership and he can score goals for us right now.

"We have signed a player with a passion and a heart for this club that no amount of money can buy. We are close to a very high level right now but with Robbie we can go even higher."

City boss Stuart Pearce said he did not want to stand in the way of Fowler returning to Anfield.

"Liverpool are his dream club and he wanted to leave and rejoin them," Pearce told the Cityl website.

Archive: Fowler joins Leeds

Pearce added: "If I refused him this opportunity of fulfilling his ambition it would not be good for him or Manchester City Football Club. We wish him well for the future and thank him for his efforts."

Fowler moved to Leeds in 2001, before former City boss Kevin Keegan spent £6m to take him away from Elland Road in February 2003.

I'm absolutely delighted, can't wait to see him in a red shirt again

From AJC

Have your say on 606

Injuries have hampered his career at Eastlands, but he recently scored a hat-trick against Scunthorpe in the third round of the FA Cup.

And he also scored against Manchester United in City's 3-1 derby victory.

In his autobiography Fowler claimed he was forced to leave Liverpool because of his treatment by Benitez's predecessor Gerard Houllier, while his Anfield career was marked by various disciplinary problems.

He had a training ground squabble with Liverpool assistant manager Phil Thompson as well as an argument with teammate Neil Ruddock left him with a nose injury.

Fowler also had an on-field fight with Chelsea's Graeme Le Saux after making obscene gestures towards the England international.

The striker is not eligible to play in Sunday's FA Cup tie against Portsmouth but could make his comeback in Wednesday's home game with Birmingham.

Whether Fowler is offered a contract extension will be reviewed at the end of the season.

Jaylaani   

North,

I think they televised those two teams for us laws weekend. I was watching the NFL but I think I saw these two names flushing on the TV set. Are they that good?

North.....let me ask you this couz. How come they have multiple teams in the English League by the name of UNITED?

N.O.R.F   

Robbie Fowler was the best goal scorer in the English league after Alan Shearer but he was a little bit of a badboy. Now he is back to the club that made him!

Saxib, the Uniteds you are refering to come from different cities ie:

Manchester United

Leeds United

Sheffield United etc etc (not sure what they mean by united though)but i guess its better than names such as Raptors, Galaxy and Lakers :D

Jaylaani   

United is the Nick Name of those clubs, right? My question is, if a certain team takes ownership of such name why do the others follow and call their clubs the same name?

N.O.R.F   

^^lol

It is not the knickname saxib, they are all official names but as a whole ie Manchester United is the name of one the clubs in Manchester, the other club is called Manchester City. Like-wise for Sheffield (two clubs)

Teams are often called by shortened names as you can not say Manchester United every time you are refering to them, you say Man United or Man City or simply Utd or City.

Its like having the LA Lakers together with the NY Lakers but the lakers being part of a whole name. I hope i made sense.

N.O.R.F   

lol

We dont have two 'Manchester' Uniteds but we have other 'insert city name' Uniteds. Therefore they do not have the same first names but share the 'United' as the second name. Its Brit thing,,,

ps what does the Knicks, Bucks, Pacers, mean?

J.Lee   

Bucks: Male deer or human (young buck?) I believe

Pacers: those who pace a lot, a very abject description of their playing habit. :D

Knick: I have no clue.

Jaylaani   

I don’t think you getting my point. See, I’m okay with the city name but why two or more UNITEDs teams located in two different cities within the same league?

For example there is no LA Sixers in the NBA. The Sixers is the name that belongs to that franchise in Philly only. If some one else use it in the same league, they will be sued.

If you and I were discussing about Basketball and I say the Sixers or the Lakers with out naming the city, you would immediately understand whom I’m taking about. The same can’t be said about those soccer teams in England. If I say United, you wouldn’t know who am I was referring to unless I add the city name. I hope I explain it right this time.

Originally posted by Northerner:

Watch out Chelsea

Yeah, you Kops becoming Dad's Club is gonna worry us Chelsea fans.

Wishful thinking, apparently, is world's most powerful narcotic.

Urban   

jaylaani, 'united' or 'man united' aren't nicknames for Manchester United, its just a shortened name for it because as northerner said, its just annoying to say 'manchester united' about 20 times everymatch. now, 'Red Devils' is manchester united nickname, if another team used that name, man utd can sue them. same with manchester city, their nickname is 'citizens' i think :confused:

sheffield united: the blades

West Ham United: The Hammers

Arsenal: the gunners

Liverpool F.C: the reds

and as for many teams using the word 'United', nobody really knows why.

...hope this explains a little.. :D