Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

2006 African Cup of Nations

Oz   

African cup of Nations -DAMN!! I'LL BE WATCHING THE HIGHLIGHTS THAT'S ALL ESPN WILL ONLY SHOW THE HIGHLIGHTS ?

I've been always a fan of Ivory-coast but the dont do well when it comes to final matches...fingers crossed .......COTE'DE'VORE

Castro   

^ The last thing they need, good Viking, are injuries in an African cup (a meaningless year no less) when they (the players) have a chance to shine on the world stage in 5-6 months and potentially earn millions in professional European leagues. If I were them, I'd show up on the fields in Cairo in my pyjamas. :D

Viking   

Castro,

That is what a friend of mine says too. But Nigeria won the cup in 1994 and went on to play well in the WC in USA the same year. In 2002, Senegal lost in the final to Cameroon on penalties but went on to perform well in Japan-Korea. Togo and Angola are not better than Senegal and Nigeria, the latter two paid for their slow start to the qualifying campaign.

I think they should hold the CAF every four years just like the WC and EC, only then would we have a more competitive tournament. Plus, the racist Europe should allocate more spots for African nations in the world cup (South America with 13 countries gets five spots for the WC and Africa with 54 countries gets the same number).

Castro   

^ You forget though that stakes are now higher. Back in the days, African teams weren't scouted that much for talent. Now the world cup is a recruitment fest. Good luck to them anyway. I have yet to recover fully from the 1998 Denmark-Nigeria 4-1 massacre. I still have nightmares. :(

SoMa_InC   

I think they should hold the CAF every four years just like the WC and EC, only then would we have a more competitive tournament.

I agree with the above statement if only it is coming from an African. It was on the news the other day that western football heavyweights have sent a signed petition to CAF governing body requesting for it to take place every four years. I really wanna see how Issa Hoyatou (dont know if that is the right way to spell his name) would react to this.

Yeah Castro, after trashing Spain 3-2 (I think) with the superb strike from Sunday Oliseh, loosing to Denmark was a kick on the teeth. They underperformed but what do you expect, money comes first to those players.

Viking   

Castro,

Kanu and co underatted the Laudrup brothers :D They did the same in 1994 when they lost to Italy.

African teams have two maladies; lack of organisation and a high level of corruption and and interference on the side of the federation and politicians. The DR Congo team were planning to boycott the games until their president called just before the match and guaranteed that their wages and bonuses would be paid. Some presidents/ministers decide who is in the starting 11, things like these make the players nonchalant about playingfor for their country and concentrate more on displaying their talents to the hundreds of agents looming in the background.

Castro   

^ Unfortunately that's the case with Africans good Viking. Still, this is the 7th world cup I'm old enough to witness and I still have the same hope and fire for African teams that I did back in 1982. The fact that I've been dissapointed (crushed sometimes) six times in a row apparently has not deterred me yet. Yaa rab. May be this year. :(

N.O.R.F   

^^African(s) won the World Cup for France saxib ( a collection of), lets hope they (1 African team)do it this time around.

Guinea 1 Tunisia 0 at Half Time, an upsaet on the cards???? Again, i'm rooting for the sub-saharan boys rather than the Arabs :D

SoMa_InC   

Already Togo, Angola and Ghana are out! I wonder how they will perform in the World Cup.

Here is an update on the Quater finals:

Tunisia vs Nigeria

Ivory Coast vs Cameroon

Guinea vs Senegal

Egypt vs Congo

Good games coming up.