Sign in to follow this  
Delilah

Nationalism, where is it going??

Delilah   

I just wanted to pose a question out to the political minds of this site, so my question then is: Is nationalism a viable concept in the 21st century?

Salaam,

The prophet S said that nationalism (As-Sabiyyah) is rotten and that one should stay far from it. i think that this is enough evidence and a transgression for those seeking it.

Delilah   

i understand Yusuf, but nationalism isn't all that bad. Of course it depends on the country and the leader in which its being " practised". Nationalism has so many good sides to it. In many places its what units them. Take for example the Italians back when they were mere city- states. They were able to put aside their difference, for the sake of uniting and protecting themselves and flourishing economically and socially. The French Revolution, Canadian Confederation ( although i don't believe in Canadian Nationalism), and many others. Nationalism also can cause many issues for countries and nations.

Nationalism has been a very strong driving force for many ethnic groups to establish their own nations. My question is, although nationalism has done a lot for many countries (positive and nagetive) it is not as strong. So, do u guys think nationalism is going to die out soon or is it still alive and kicking? :confused:

somali chick, we have something better than nationalism, this umman has the deen of Allah. the problem is not the lack of unifying factor, but the lack of humbleness n sincerity in our hearts.

nationalism has downfalls, one of them being it tends to isolate a group of people, create feelings of superiority between muslim countries and prevents greater unification of the Ummah.

Liqaye   

I am tired with neo-nonsens atrribution to nationalism.

Whilst you dream about your ummah and qoute the scriptures let me follow my own star for an islam and democratic nation of somali encompassing the lands of all somalis.

It is really that simple.

Delilah   

So, you're trying to tell be that since mankind can't co-operate under one nationalism, or whatever, it will work through religion. Now, don't u think you're beign a little naive here? Nationalism won't work because they " tend to isolate a certain group of people" and relgiion doens't? Uniting under one religion will not work, as much as we want to!!!! I mean people say, " yeah, it will work. Take for example in the Middle East, where Islam is the dominate relgion." Just cuz Islam is the dominate religion doesn't make it a royal cememt for social order. Within Islam alone, there are so many sects just like in Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. So, you see religion won't work because of the different sects within the relion. Why are the Iraqis and the Iranians so against one another? Why do we ( as sunni Muslims) look down upon the Sufis claiming they aren't really "Muslims." Lets just face it, mankind as we know it is doomed and so is peace and this bloody Earth!!!! :(

honest to God some of you have no sense of reflection. Anybody that knows history will tell you this basic rule " divide and conquer" Napolean did it, Emperial england did it, so did the french, so did the french, you go in you defeat and you create little states. create some enimosity between them, and play some favoritism and basically you sit back n kick back to watch the friuts of your work.

Islam is all inclusive, states can exist but they reoport to one supreme authority, which has executive powers. Example the christians of Spain loved to ruled by muslims so much that some of them to arms against their own christian people.

some of you might say that was then, n this is now. and you are right we will never have another islamic empire like that of the past, neverthless we should work on the unification of this ummah, because Allah help will only come when we are united. united ummah is a projection of the strenght of each one of its members, and thats why we are a strong as our weakest link.

wasalam