Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Shocking pictures of execution: Mogadishu courts

An eye for an eye, as Somali boy executes father's killer

By Simon Freeman and agencies

Hooded and bound, Omar Hussein awaits his execution (shabellenews.com)

A Somali teenager publicly hacked his father's killer to death in a punishment sanctioned under Islamic law, heightening Somalia's status as a failed country in the eyes of the West.

Hundreds of people gathered in Mogadishu to watch the court-ordered execution. Witnesses said that Mohamed Moalim, 16, approached the condemned man Omar Hussein, who was hooded and tied to a pole, and stabbed him repeatedly in the chest, neck and head.

Hussein had been found guilty of murdering the boy's father, a teacher, in a similar manner two months ago. The execution was the first to be held in the Somalian capital for a decade and was hailed by local Islamic spiritual leaders as a sign that order was being restored.

The execution was carried out as the British Home Office faced mounting pressure over its decision to spare Mustaf Jama, a Somalian convicted of robbery, from deportation three months before he allegedly shot dead a policewoman, Sharon Beshenivsky, 38, in November last year.

After carrying out the killing, Mohamed Moalim calmly told: "My father’s killer is now gone. I am happy now because I killed the man who killed my father."

Sheikh Ibrahim Mohamed Nur, an imam in the Bermuda district of the capital, said: "Islam is the only solace to the overcome the difficulties we are facing. The justice of Allah has been implemented and there is no better justice than what Allah reccommended."

"The public is aware from today on that killers won’t go unpunished as they did in the past," he said.

A young bystander who gave his name only as Mohamoud said: "You cannot stop violence by another sort of violence."

Graphic photographs of the spectacle were posted on Somali internet sites. It came amid rising fears of an escalation in the tensions between militia loyal to the courts and an alliance of warlords devoted to curbing their influence.

Western intelligence agencies are growing increasingly concerned about the creeping influence of al-Qaeda on lawless Somalia, where Islamic extremists are believed to be harbouring senior figures from the terrorist network.

John Reid, the Defence Secretary, said today that Jama, still wanted over the Beshenivsky murder, had not been deported to Somalia because an immigration panel had considered it it was simply too dangerous.

"When he came out he was considered for deportation but in Somalia the government had fallen apart, it was being controlled by warlords and there was a threat that if he took a plane into the capital, Mogadishu, not only would he have been blown out of the air but the pilot of the plane would have been," Mr Reid said.

"So it was decided on balance they should not deport him in this case."

Mogadishu’s Islamic courts came into existence law in 1994, three years after the mainly Muslim country of 10 million was plunged into anarchy when Mohamed Siad Barre's 22-year presidency was brought to an end after two years of civil war.

In 1995, they ordered the stoning to death of several people convicted of adultery and the amputation of limbs for thieves but Tuesday’s killing was believed to be the first public execution in a decade.

Source: Times Online, May 3, 2006

ElPunto   

hmmm - why did they make it a public spectacle - more like showmanship by the 'Islamic' judges than anything else. YAY Somalia!

nuune   

Actually this act was authorised by one court named COURT OF MAKKA AL MUKARRAMA, this court declared that they joined the Anti-Terrorism Group.

Shocking pictures, Also two people died of shock and trauma at the scene and many others were in complete hysteria and shock as they witnessed, also another woman who was pregnant gave birth very early as she was only 6 months pregnant, a very disturbing images indeed.

It seems this was a PR stunt by the warlords.

Maxkamada Makkah Al Mukarama oo ku biirtay Isbaheysiga Dayniile

Last Updated::2006-05-03 18:20:58 E. Africa Standard Time

Muqdisho:-Maxkamada Makkah Al Mukarama oo ah maxkamadii shalay fulisay Dilkii qisaasta ahaa ee uu gacantiisa ku sameeyey Wiil 16 jir ah.

Maxkamada Al Mukarama oo kamid ah maxkamadaha magaalada Muqdisho laga aasaasay ayaa shalay magaalada ka fulisay dil Qisaas ah oo si weyn looga hadal hayo magaalada Muqdisho.

Dilkaasi ayuu fuliyey wiil la yiraaho Maxamed Macalin oo qisaasay ninkii lagu eedeeyey inuu dilay Aabihii.

Dilkaasi Qisaasta ah ayuu wiilkaasi u adeegsaday Mindi asagoo madax, surka iyo caloosha uga dhuftay ninkii la qisaasayey oo la oron jiray Shiikha Cumar Macalin.

Maxkamadan oo ka jirta degmada Waaberi ee magaalada Muqdisho ayaa hada sheegtay in ay ku biireyso Isbaheysiga la dagaalanka argagaxisada ee lagu dhisay Deyniile.

Maxkamadan ayaa ah midii ugu horeysay oo ku biirta isbaheysiga la baxay argagaxiso la dirirka.

Waxay maxkamadan sidoo kale dhaliiceyn dusha uga tuurtay isbaheysiga Midowga Maxkamadaha.

Axmed Maxamed Maxamuud oo ah Taliyaha Ciidamada Makkah Al Mukarama ayaa sheegay in ay la shaqeyn doonaan isbaheysiga ay dhisteen hogaamiye kooxeedka Muqdisho.

Maxkamadan Makkah Al Mukarama ayaa magaceeda si weyn looga wada maqlay Magaalada Muqdisho kadib dilkii qisaasta ahaa ee shalay iyo ku dhawaaqidii in ay ku biirtay Isbaheysiga Deyniile.

Maxamed Cabdi

Castro   

Originally posted by ThePoint:

hmmm - why did they make it a public spectacle - more like showmanship by the 'Islamic' judges than anything else. YAY Somalia!

Retribution is the Islamic way to go. So is forgiveness. The public scene is definitely political shock and awe. Reminds me of the public shootings of "criminals" at the famous Tiirka in Muqdishu in the 1980's. I remember walking there to watch the public executions and then going all the way to the wooden poles to get close to the blood and bullet fragments. It was fascinating as it was scary. The intended effect never failed, however, as everyone cowered away to their homes in fear and awe of Afweyne.

Khalaf   

La ilaha ill Allah wa anna Muhammad-ur-Rasul-Allah.

and they gonna call this sanctioned by Islamic court....its fitnah

Allah save us from this destruction

subhanallah

Naden   

With all the guns in Muqdisho, they couldn't find a single bullet to shoot this poor man in the head and end his misery. Whatever happened to mercy! Shouldn't also be there an executioner who does this in a prison? An execution maybe just but what the hell happened to compassion and humanity.

Castro   

^ Compassion? In Muqdishu? Have you lost your mind woman? The crowds get turned on by this. Look at all the kids the adults brought with them. It's a family day out. Unforunately, that is one city with residents who are completely desensitized to violence. And that may be the saddest thing of all.

Naden   

^ Indeed. I don't know about the crowd being turned on, though. Despite their hideous lives, people are the same everywhere and violence takes away from their humanity. A killing for a killing is Islamic but like you said, so is forgiveness. What is not Islamic is sticking a man with 'toorey' repeatedly in full view of so many. Punishment, yes, torture, no, please! What do I know, though? Sunny Xamar and its brutality is a world away from where I am.

Castro   

Dhaqan toosinta iyo ka hortaga xumaanta? The promotion of virtue and prevention of vice? These courts will find little support among Muqdishu residents if this is how they'll conduct their business. This is grandstanding at its worst and plays right into the hands of the warlords and the so-called anti-terror coalition.

Ya Allah. If people are not suffering under a warlord, a rabid "sheikh" awaits.

CHE   

Killers should lose their lives for the lives they have taken.But what disturbs me is the fashion this was carried out.How do you deter people from killing if you desensitize them by exposing them to such spectacle of gruesome murder.Murder I say,coz old dude obviously was passionate to stab a bloody man lying on his back.Justice would have been served if the killer was beheaded,or shot him in the head etc.Listen folks,these are killers masked under religion.Like the Talibans that molested young boys and flogged women for wearing high heals.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by naden:

^ Indeed. I don't know about the crowd being turned on, though. Despite their hideous lives, people are the same everywhere and violence takes away from their humanity. A killing for a killing is Islamic but like you said, so is forgiveness. What is not Islamic is sticking a man with 'toorey' repeatedly in full view of so many. Punishment, yes, torture, no, please! What do I know, though? Sunny Xamar and its brutality is a world away from where I am.

Totally right - justice - repeated stabbings! :rolleyes:

Kashafa   

Listen folks,these are killers masked under religion.Like the Talibans that molested young boys and flogged women for wearing high heals

C'moon, man. Don't regurgitate Fox news spin all over the place. What ever the Taliban were, child molesters they were not. By the way, after they got kicked out till present day, violent crimes(rape, murder, kidnappings) have skyrocketed. Uncle Taliban ain't there to put the smackdown(hudood) on the criminals. Food for thought.

Like everybody else said, this was a headline grabbing publicity stunt. Why don't they capture and stab to death any Mooriyan militia member ? I wouldn't complain. Another reminder of why partial application of Sharia is not a wise idea. Religion in the hands of jaahil fools = disaster.