Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Security unraveling in Muqdisho and across the country

Castro   

Somali Government Compound Hit by Grenade

By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN

KISMAYO, Somalia, Jan. 4 — A hand grenade was tossed into a government compound today in Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital, in yet another sign of a growing insurgency as security seems to be unraveling across the country.

Just days after Ethiopian-led troops helped rout Somalia’s once powerful Islamist forces and install a new government in the capital, violence is surging in the form of anti-government attacks and increased banditry, both of which were mostly unheard of during the Islamists’ short-lived reign.

Witnesses said that shortly after nightfall, a man in a pickup truck flung a grenade over a wall and into a compound that housed Ethiopian and government soldiers. Apparently, no one was seriously hurt and the pickup truck escaped in a blaze of gunfire.

In northern Mogadishu, residents said that four people were killed Wednesday night after bandits fired a bazooka at a truck whose driver refused to pay an extortion tax. Unauthorized checkpoints have popped up all over the city, reminiscent of the years of anarchy when clan-based militias carved up Mogadishu and much of the rest of Somalia.

In Dhagtur, in central Somalia, Shabelle radio reported today that five people, including two children, were killed by a tribal militia during a gun battle. A dispute over a well was cited as the possible cause.

But despite the thickening bloodshed, Somalia’s newly-empowered transitional government is not slowing down. Today, Ali Mohammed Gedi, the veterinarian-turned-prime minister, appointed more than 30 new judges, including two women.

“Quite soon, the police stations in Mogadishu will be operational,” Mr. Gedi said. “If a criminal is arrested, the police will have the access to put the criminal on trial.”

It sounds simple, but since Somalia’s central government collapsed in 1991, the wheels of justice have rusted over, with few functioning police stations, jails or courts. Mr. Gedi also pushed ahead with his disarmament plan, extending today’s deadline by two more days and threatening house-to-house searches if people did not turn in their guns.

In Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni said today that his country was ready to volunteer about 800 soldiers to serve as peacekeepers in Somalia. The African Union is trying to cobble together a peacekeeping force to take the place of Ethiopian troops and lend much needed muscle to the transitional government.

The transitional government is still battling the last remnants of the Islamist forces, who have fled to a remote, heavily-forested area in southern Somalia along the Kenyan border. Somali officials said that several hundred Islamist fighters were cornered and it was only matter of days until the Islamist movement, which had ruled much of Somalia for the past six months until Ethiopian forces intervened, was finished for good.

NY Times

bambo   

i dont understand reasone why geedi is not mobilizing milites and train them to become police officers , Geedi atleast should recurit local milities and nationalize them just like PL milities are supposly are "qaran" troops .

what is he waiting for , dis arm to who sxb , the weapons are the only security people have in xaamar with limited tfg forces station only in in the airport and port .

Geedi should upgrade local milites in xaamar and make them national troops so that clans can easly feel secure just like clans in Puntland

If Geedi and abdulahi are honest about bringing peace and stable they would do the following .

^^^Bambo, you are right, the securty of Mogadishu must be done by the local clans, just like Puntland, take the boys into the armed forces and police. I think this is the main idea, but they need to be expressed.

bambo   

We as somalis have to stop holding each other back and fron , we need to move on with future we can not critizes every day ,

i my self was and still are supporter of the maxkmadah , they gain my support by bringing peace and stability .

somali has chance today with a legitimate government Thats Recognized by UN and U.S , and also controls 90 percent of the somali land for the first time since 1990 .

TFG must act quick and convice the people its not the enemy , TFG must deliver security people once enjoyed under the Union of the islamic court.

Peace is peace wether is deliverd by TFG or Union Court

^^^The utmost repsect for you brother, yu are right the TFG has all it needs, so any failure will be squarly on its leadership and no one else. It must tread carefully and let the people build their own admisntrations, every region and district must be empowered.

I agree that the armed forces and police must be made up of all clans, and not be dominated by any group.

It doesn’t necessarily matter if the UN or the world at large recognizes the leader or government we favor. If we start focusing on our own benefits we are more likely to have a sufficient, powerful and a stable government that could lead the people in one direction, protect its borders and provide for its people. It truly doesn’t matter if the TFG is recognized by UN or US, those two aren’t willing to provide for the Somali people and they sure in hell aren’t the leaders or guarding angles of the Somali people.

Lose this weak mentality that the UN or US is superior or their support or recognition for one party must be a moral righteous one, because it isn’t.

The TFG doesn’t go by my agenda or that of the people of Somali, I still concur that they are nothing but mere puppets and the worse kind if you ask me.

If they want to gain the trust of the people, then they should start opening up a school or rebuilding a hospital, open up a job center. Forcing the people or demanding that they give-up their best friend “Mr. Gun” will not in anyway make the TFG look more trustworthy.

This sort of violence is only likely to increase, do people not learn from the history that is enfolding right in front of their eyes? Hello Iraq and Afghanistan are a clear display.

Originally posted by mystic:

The TFG doesn’t go by my agenda or that of the people of Somali, I still concur that they are nothing but mere puppets and the worse kind if you ask me.

[/QB]

Think about it while going through the lyrics will u? smile.gif

Theres a natural mystic blowing through the air;

If you listen carefully now you will hear.

This could be the first trumpet, might as well be the last:

Many more will have to suffer,

Many more will have to die - dont ask me why.

Things are not the way they used to be,

I wont tell no lie;

One and all have to face reality now.

though Ive tried to find the answer to all the questions they ask.

though I know its impossible to go livin through the past -

Dont tell no lie.

Theres a natural mystic blowing through the air -

Cant keep them down -

If you listen carefully now you will hear.

Theres a natural mystic blowing through the air.

This could be the first trumpet, might as well be the last:

Many more will have to suffer,

Many more will have to die - dont ask me why.

Theres a natural mystic blowing through the air -

I wont tell no lie;

If you listen carefully now you will hear:

Theres a natural mystic blowing through the air.

Such a natural mystic blowing through the air;

Theres a natural mystic blowing through the air;

Such a natural mystic blowing through the air.

P.s.If the TFG doesn't work out,as the old Bob said,it might as well be the last trumpet.

Captain, nice, but fate is cruel and it takes time to reveal its true outcomes. We all have to suffer, be shocked, and be frustrated before we get things swinging our way. But it is patience that defeats fate. So I am more than willing to be patient and see what fate has to offer to my people and the TFG. :D