Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

BRAVO: The BBC Somali Service Team

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

We , the somalis have the tendency of using tribalism as a tag to condemn or condone things. We are so brianwashed by tribalism that somalis would even pose the question of "nabiga waa qolomaa" subxaanalah!!!!!

A few weeks ago I was at a graduation ceremony for a somali- and a few somalis attended. Walaahi I could overhear one of the somalis asking "Dhoktoorkaan waa qolomaa"!

Even if the BBC had a senior editor that is not called Yusuf Garaad, the questioning and criticism would never vanish. Complaints would be launched.

I must admit that the last time I listened to the BBC was 1995- but I have family and friends who listen to it -and it still remains the major source of news. Most of my friends are what one might call "neutral" and they report that Yusuf Garaad was appointed editor because of his competencies-

I have read what a Mr. Ogle wrote sometime and I am afraid he did not make a good case. You can't simply hate someone because he belongs to another tribe!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think that somalia is going to be a communist country with only one source of information (sanctioned by the government)that would never happen.

Should the BBC extend support to the government? Why should it? It is not a propaganda machine!

There are two issues to which there are very few critics but which need to be discussed:

1) Why the BBC somali service? Is this some kind of post colonial strategy of controlling information? The BBC uses her majesty's perspective.

2) The somali service- I have no data but I have this hypothesis that most somalis don't speak the somali spoken by the BBC somali service. Why shouldn't the BBC employ someone from Bay and Bakool? From Banadir? from Bosaso?

The last time I listened the reporter in London was speaking to someone ( a leader in Baidoa) and everytime the dude (he attempted to speak in mainstream somali) used a few words from his mother tongue, the reporter mocked him!!!

The BBC should employ an eebow, an abaa, a boowe, an ariro.

The last time I listened the reporter in London was speaking to someone ( a leader in Baidoa) and everytime the dude (he attempted to speak in mainstream somali) used a few words from his mother tongue, the reporter mocked him!!!

Recently, I was told, Yuusuf Garaad himself interviewed one of the malaaqs down there. What was surprising is Yuusuf Garaad af Maxaa Tiri ayuu ku wareesanaaye, malaaqana af Maay ayuu ku jawaabaaye. Faham la'aan ayee ku dhamaatay. Waaba markii koowaad full time featured interview af Maay laga maqlo BBC.

To those who are interested Yuusuf Garaad Cumar's impressive educational background, inta riix.

waryaa8wa.jpg

I visited Bush House in the spring of 2003. Sawirkaan aa kasoo qaaday. Qolka laga broadcast gareeyo waaye. In this particular picture, the evening broadcast, as the clock on the wall indicates, was already in process. The two newsreader gentlemen's names, if I recall, were Aadan Nuux on the left and C/risaaq.

Coloow   

Maskiin,

Bro, this is the problem with the BBC that many somalis fail to recognise. It is not uncommon for a BBC reporter to laugh at the names of some individuals or ask "maxaad tiri" or "ma waxaad leedahay". The malaaqs and others in the process attempt to use mainstream somali and his language instead of the issue becomes a subject.

Yusuf dadna shaqada kama uusan ceyrinin I know some of those people on the list and they were not sacked.

Xoogsade   

Miskiin, Nice article, all the more reason to support Mr.Garaad.

Kashanre.

Saxib, He should ignore all the brouhaha and focus on his job neither resign nor address people. Waxaa dad la qanciyaa markay dacwad sharciga waafaqsan wataan. Taageerayaal nin siyaasi ku sheeg soomaali ah warkooda qiimo ma leh because qofkii qilaafo ninkooda ama su'aala su'aal iyaga ay u arkaan inay kasoo horjeeddoo danahooda gaarka ah, waa la colloobaayaan qofkii. Ma dadkaasaa warkooda la xaalayn karaa saaxib?