Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Somalia

Should the Puntland Authorities disarm the Puntland citizenry?

Thankful   

Originally posted by Sacad *Ducaale:

^^^ they do in a city like bosaso ama Galckayo since robbery and theifs is more common and knowing the police can't provide full protection everybody has a gun in their houses and shops.

What do you know about those places? Actually robbery and thefts are not that common. The problem with Puntland is the assassinations and revenge killings taking place. The government in my opinion seems to be sweeping all this news under the carpet.

This has nothing to with police and their ability to protect against theft or robbery.

Saalax   

^^^ sxb i know alot about those places i have seen it for myself and i have talked to the locals especially bosaso , and i have also seen many of the shop owners they have guns stored in their shops to defend themselfs from theifs , the same with Galckayo, actually Galckayo is alot worse in security terms.

Thankful   

Well, I been there numerous times and I was shocked how safe it was. For a place with so much poverty and other social problems. I never felt danger even at night.

The problem is with certain groups within Puntland taking out revenge killing on government officials and other groups (probably Al Shabaab attacking the government).

Stop trying to make Puntland seem lawless, criminals who commit theft are quickly apprehended.

Nice one thankful Brother. Puntland like any other viable state needs to disarm people. AK47 should not be in the hands of any citizen, nor do we need to make an excuse for such use or posession. Today it will be difficult but like the brother stated the goal of the future admins should be zero tolerance for such weapons in the hands of the ordinary people.

Gen.D,,, for sake of it shall we get reall for a moment here ,,,,we have alot of weapons and we want them simply bcoz the common man on the street doesn't trust PL security forces.. strange!! but many beleive including my self the so called PIS and Police forces are behind many killings and insecurity in Bosaso particularly...well i'm afraid then unlike you if Gen. A.S. Samatar will ever say hand over your Guns if he doesn't address the real issue beforehand!!

Thankful   

Do you truthfully believe in that conspiracy theory that the PIS and Police are behind the murders? Do you know how bad it is making them look? I believe they are a big reason that the state is still functioning, but that is my own opinion.

Remember the PIS and Police fall under and answer to the government. They can be switched! The former governments did it, this one can to.

Also, President Faroole changed up the ministers from the previous admin but kept Gen. Abdullahi Said Samatar (which should tell you something), he also work under Col. Abdullahi Yusuf and Gen. Cade Muse.

The judge that was murdered was a revenge for a killing that took place in Qardho, the minister information minister that was killed in Gaalkayo was revenge to for murders that took place in the city. One of the parliamentarians were killed by Puntlanders as well.

We need to stop blaming the wrong people, some of it maybe Al Shabaab, but some of it is definitely us. There is no respect for the government it seems.

Xaq   

Try telling a Somali that he cannot have an AK-47.

Two things may happen; they would either laugh or shoot you in the face.

Let's be realistic. Somalia is not a normal place.

Originally posted by General Duke:

Mr Somalia, no simple argument lad, armed clan militias and individuals armed with dangerous weapons have brought us no peace for the past 20 years. Thus it's illogical to suggest we should not give this a chance. I rather have a tough system than to have met armed with AK47 at every village, even an argument turns unto a blood bath. Nor can we ignore the type of things that take place when two sub clans fight in urban areas, for example Galkacyu. Thus the NRA argument don't wash lad. The right to bear arms is not in the Somali constitution, nor does Islam prescribe mobs with heavy weapons protecting clanish interest.

Come again Adeer.

Adeer Duke, (I can call you that, right? :D )

For the record: I disagree with the reasoning you've just posted. For starters, by taking AK47's from law abidding citizen, are you not infringing on their rights to protect themselves???

I understand you're thinking that, if all Puntlanders were disarmed then the criminals wouldn't be able to get them as well. However,in reality most criminally intent people will find a way to find weapons and cause the havoc you hope to avoid by banning all weapons. Thus, your arguement that, in order for the government to mitigate in some degree the many difficulties associated with these criminals in Puntland, then everyone, including innocent law-abiding citizens ought to give up their right to defend themselves is a nonstarter in my opinion. Don't you realize, that Governments that take guns away from their citizens turn them into defenseless bovines being led to slaughter? Basically, once the public is disarmed, then we all fall under the mercy of not only the criminals but also our own leaders. No one can guarantee that these leaders will not abuse their newly found power over such a disarmed citizenry. I hope you see where I'm coming from? It is good to have guns close-by in case we ever need to kick some sense into our government. They better hope that doesn't happen and we don't have to use 'em. :D

Please do not misunderstand me: I STRONGLY support that new gun laws are passed and vigorously enforced!! I am in favor of stricter regulations of weapons in Puntland. The government, in fact, ought to put in place, an agency like the ATF in the U.S, whose sole responsibility would include the regulation of the sale and possession of guns for legal purposes ONLY. This way we can ensure, we avoid heavy weapons falling into the hands of people with clannish interests, as you said. And at the same time, allow folks to keep a lil heat at home for personal protections of our lives, properties and families. Would YOU DENY us that right?