Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Identity Politics and the struggle for liberty and democracy in Ethiopia

There's no social, political, religious, racial, legal and economic basis for Somaliland's secession.On the other hand, the Somali region is recognized as distinct nation under the Ethiopia' Constitution. The Constitution guarantees self-determination up to and including secession granted two thirds of the Somali legislature votes on and approves such measure.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

^Soomaalidu isma gumaysato!

Not sure Atam's supporters or those that suffered under the rule of Indhacade or even the SSC crowd would agree with you there. But like I alreaady told A&T above, that's the beauty of politics. Any and every type of argument could be put forward and regardless of the opposing arguments, unless the original one fails and is shelved, it remains as valid as any.

If yours is done from a legal point of view, then one could easily wave it away by pointing you in the direction of Iraq and how the Bush hawks found a way to justify their (clearly) illegal invasion.

If it is a moral argument about seperating a people that share everything (from the name of a tooth brush to the direction of daily prayers) then one can also point you in the direction of that fighter Jet in the middle of H town and ask you about the morality of remaining in such a union.

If, however, it is about nationhood, we need not go too far. This thread gives enough examples.

I said to Xiin, Che and a few others and I'll say it to you too, saaxib. To reject SL's plans for nationhood without presenting a viable, tempting and seductive alternative will only strenghthen the resolve of those seeking seperation and increase their mistrust. And, even if such a plan exists, there is a possiblity that it may come too late. This, surely, should be as clear as day to any true unionist.

Liqaye   

"I said to Xiin, Che and a few others and I'll say it to you too, saaxib. To reject SL's plans for nationhood without presenting a viable, tempting and seductive alternative will only strenghthen the resolve of those seeking seperation and increase their mistrust. And, even if such a plan exists, there is a possiblity that it may come too late. This, surely, should be as clear as day to any true unionist."

"There's no social, political, religious, racial, legal and economic basis for Somaliland's secession." - Che Guevara

But there is a clan based one so let us leave it at that as long as the souths house is burning the North can do as it pleases.

But after that Clan real-politic comes into play and so many will be the first to ululate for the union and make made to measure Somali flag coats/dresses e.t.c smile.gif

NASSIR   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

quote:Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

Not sure Atam's supporters or those that suffered under the rule of Indhacade or even the SSC crowd would agree with you there. .
Ngonge, waa maxay aflagaadada aad wadey. Ma waxaa leedahey Attam ama SSC qolodooda waa la gumeystaa. Aduunyoo xaalkaa ba'

Disagreements and infighting shan't be construed as a colonial vs aspirations for freedom relationship like in Palestine, Kurdistan/Ethnic, and Somali-Galbeed.

Ps. I'm surprised people are deploying many weird assumptions over this conflict in order to score a political point.

The Zack   

LOL@Nassir, ninku muxuu leeyahay malaha anagaa gumeysano SSC buu is leeyahay. I guess NGONGE is saying that SSC folks claim that their regions have been invaded and now occupied by Somaliland thus gumeysi baa heysto.

The Zack   

:D:D Age comes with both good and bad side. It comes with wisdom but it also comes with antaatac.

P.s. In no way, shape or fame I am calling NGONGE old.

NASSIR   

I support the Tibetans in spite of it being obvious that the Americans are exploiting the struggle for their own purposes. Clearly, the CIA has planned and organized the riots, and the American media are leading the world-wide campaign. It is a part of the hidden struggle between the US, the reigning super-power, and China, the rising super-power - a new version of the "Great Game" that was played in central Asia in the 19th century by the British Empire and Russia. Tibet is a token in this game..........

No, what is really bugging me is the hypocrisy of the world media. They storm and thunder about Tibet. In thousands of editorials and talk-shows they heap curses and invective on the evil China.
It seems as if the Tibetans are the only people on earth whose right to independence is being denied by brutal force,
that if only Beijing would take its dirty hands off the saffron-robed monks, everything would be alright in this, the best of all possible worlds.

Tibet and Palestine

By URI AVNERY

April 7, 08

CounterPunch

^read that long article by an Israeli author..

Liqaye   

my dear oodweyne, my one man army, the one who hears the bells tolling for him, I seem to be drawing your especial brand of Bold interest today.

So much has changed since we first met, an election was held in somaliland and it was not recognized, a referendum was held and it was not recognized, you gazed in to your crystal ball and although I told you that donning a soothsayers costume you found in a disney lot would be unbecoming but you insisted that your crystal ball was right and recognition was around the

Corner and somaliland was not recognized, white people came and went, parliamentary hearings were held, and somaliland was not recognized.

Ngonge and other daqancelis all over the world donned the red white and green and somaliland was not recognized, al-shabaab in the south and somaliland could not even be considered comparable to the northern alliance and somaliland was not recognized, dissent in the mediocre tfg and somaliland was not recognized, pirates on the high seas and somaliland was not recognized, articles in the new york times and somaliland was not recognized, trips to addis and somaliland was not recognized.

Another election held bombings in sool, awdal restless western sanaag unintrested, western burco or ahem ahem tolka making money regardless of hargeisa and the whole Project just as illegal and silly as it always was.

But oodweyne marches on broadband is cheap and the bells keep on a Toiling, marching on regardless of reason, for he is a somali lender, regardless of reality on the ground, for he is a somalilander, He keeps on marching year after year, and we hear him being instructed to be a somalilander is not to march in a straight line, but in a circle.

Left, left, left, left.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Nassir:

quote:Originally posted by NGONGE:

quote:

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

Not sure Atam's supporters or those that suffered under the rule of Indhacade or even the SSC crowd would agree with you there. .
Ngonge, waa maxay aflagaadada aad wadey. Ma waxaa leedahey Attam ama SSC qolodooda waa la gumeystaa. Aduunyoo xaalkaa ba'

Disagreements and infighting shan't be construed as a colonial vs aspirations for freedom relationship like in Palestine, Kurdistan/Ethnic, and Somali-Galbeed.

Ps. I'm surprised people are deploying many weird assumptions over this conflict in order to score a political point.
Af lagaado ma jirto, saaxib. Adiga wax walba dhinca xun ka eega dee. :D

In saying that some Atam's supporters will not agree with Sayid's statement above, I am only repeating what I've read on many pages here in the past (maybe even by you yourself). What is the nature of Atam's disagreement with PL (other than PIS)? What is the nature of the SSC's disagreement with SL? Is it not (in both cases) a fear/worry that the 'other' is after taking over their lands, resources, etc? What else if not gumaysi would one call that?

Oodweyne

Don't waste time on arguing with Liqaye, saaxib. None of his words there show any signs of an understanding of politics. He lists all the achievements of SL in a negative light yet is still blind enough (and naive enough) to hang on to that old argument of "when the south sorts itself out...."! :D

Liqaye   

oodweyne 7 years later nothing has changed , no legitimacy on the ground, nor in the eyes of the world. I don't know crazy and I can't argue another seven years and will leave you still hearing the toiling bells [personally I just hope that you get york case of tinitus checked out].

Ngonge as always you mistake clan tactics as politics, as so many daqancelis you suffering from a 4.5 of the mind smile.gif , I have not said what has occured are not "achievements" only that their irrelavant as stephen covey says climbing the ladder is all well and good but it amounts to null when it has been laid against the wrong wall, even using all the good will in the world using your clan enclaves goal of recognition by Anyone You have failed, and are failing, so forgive me if any smugness on your and oodweyne part does not translate to me on the net, tell you the truth if this is your understanding of "politics" then congratulations somaliland is not in need of any enemies. smile.gif

NGONGE   

Ah, Liqaye is stacking up the excuses and labels to hide the weakness of his argument(mine is a dhaqancelis ailment, Oodweyne's is some sort of madness, etc). Worse still, he is now trying to give the idea of politics an entire new meaning. :D

Liqaye, no need to give you a long lecture about the meaning of politics. I'll just humour you and play along instead. You say it is clan tactics and I happily accept that label(along with dhaqancelis and whatever else you wish to throw my way). I do because I am in the confident (and yes, SMUG) position of knowing that my project is nearing completion. I mean, after all, my clan tactics has got me full control of Laas Canood (a town populated by another clan – just in case you didn't know). You call that clan tactics, clan oppression or clan domination (whatever mad and pointless new label you choose to use), I and most people in the world call it politics. Pure and simple politics.

Play politics, adeer. Change your approach. Shock and awe us or win our hearts and minds. As for the ladder analogy, if you had looked at the list of achievements, you would have noticed that we have been moving the ladder from wall to wall until we eventually get to the right one (all that and without a snake in sight, not even a Riyaale). Wax fahan.