Sign in to follow this  
OLOL

Mogadishu to smaller towns

OLOL   

http://www.eastandard.net/archives/cl/hm_news/news.php?articleid=36023&date=6/02/2006

Somalia’ problems will not end with Parliament running away from Mogadishu to smaller towns

To revive the Somali peace process, the first in-country session of Parliament is planned to take place on February 26th in Baidoa, 250km south west of Mogadishu, the capital.

This looks like good news until one considers the implications. The change of the temporary seat of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) from Jowhar to Baidoa could open the door for contest by other towns for the mobile seat of government.

This sets dangerous precedent that could undermine the legitimacy of leadership and more divisions. From the onset, the interim leadership was expected to adhere strictly to the reconciliation Charter during the transition period, climaxing in democratic parliamentary elections.

When President Abdullahi and Speaker Sharif Hassan were elected, donor countries said that they would only recognize if the TFG operated from Mogadishu. On December 29, 2004, a group of intellectuals concerned about the extended presence of Somali government in Kenya wrote to the Prime Minister, Mohammed Ghedi, pointing out that government relocation was not only a security issue, but also a political. They suggested means of speeding up the relocation from Nairobi to Mogadishu.

This raised debate, which encouraged the group to organise a five-day meeting from December 30, 2004 to January 4, 2005 in Nairobi. Following the discussion, the group wrote to the President, the Speaker and the Prime Minister, recommending gradual relocation of the government to Mogadishu. They suggested that the President, Speaker and Prime Minister launch an organised political and public relations campaign by engaging MPs, prominent political leaders, warlords, civil society, traditional leaders, business and religious communities to secure public support and international assistance.

Unfortunately, the government opted for another route to the provincial city of Jowhar.

What is surprising is that some leaders want security guarantee in Mogadishu when the masses have been living in insecurity for 15 years.

Before the collapse of the Somali State in 1991, the country was divided into 18 regions and 92 districts. Today, we have Somaliland and Puntland administrations and Southern regions.

The country is awash with arms in the hands of militias and criminals because of the anarchic situation that persisted for so long.

In addition to the physical destruction of infrastructures, the civil war and poverty, Somalia is literally in a shambles as a country.

To restore order requires national vision and well-developed political strategy that attracts both domestic and international support.

Some of the advantages of relocating the government to Mogadishu – apart from adhering to the Charter- include the consolidation of political reconciliation, speeding up diplomatic and financial support by the international community, higher potential revenue generation for the government, avoidance of duplication of costs for startup operations.

Others are availability of sufficient public utility premises, including access to seaports and airports, increase public trust in government commitment to share burden with the people and implementation of immediate tasks in the Charter.

Another encouraging fact is that Mogadishu is the only place in the country where, despite all security concerns, opposing groups and views coexist with relative peace and freedom of expression flourishes.

In other cities, the government will be a guest of one sub clan or one or group of warlords that would control it. This is unlike Mogadishu where MPs criticize warlords and do not pander to their whims.

About two million people are living in Mogadishu. Moreover, the majority of the estimated 350,000 internally displaced people and 50 percent of Militias are in Mogadishu. Therefore, Mogadishu is where the priorities of TFG are.

This is why I believe that avoiding Mogadishu will create new problems and undermine TFG’s legitimacy of having control over the country in the foreseeable future.

Mohamud Uluso is a former Cabinet Minister and Governor of Central Bank of Somalia

Email: mmuluso@yahoo.com

Mohamud Uluso is a former Cabinet Minister and Governor of Central Bank of Somalia

Culusoowgii biibitooyinka Istar iyo kuwii kale taagnaa shimee "cabinet" ku jiray? Hadana "governor of central bank?" Ar maxaa jago sharafta laga qaaday.

And for the topic, as the honourable Maki Xaaji Banaadir said, "Xamar waala xumeeye yaa ku xaal marinaayo."

Xamar urgently needs xal. I am a firm believer inay dowlada ka shaqeyso Xamar; I will always support Xamar, laakiin Xamar terribly waala xumeeye, and some twisted individuals are coming to terms that the present Xamar, after all, is good for them -- a twisted logic by unmerciful so-called "businessmen" and their heartless warlord counterparts who ka faa'ideysteen xaalada jirto.

There was no single street built or renovated in the capital in the last 15 years. Some major avenues, such as Jidka Sodonka, in the heart of capital waa kala go'een, and buses --which themselves are risky to public health being so qolfof and mirir -- use luuqyada xaafadaha.

It is same to all common public lands; some misguided individuals are building on public parks. It soothes me, though, Tarbuunka is still a common public land. However, another decade or so if saan lagu jiro, jidadka iyo other public lands dhan waa u dhamaan doontaa, and I don't know how those "businessmen" and their equally ruthless dagaal ooge meelahee ku mari doonaan their air-conditioned Laanguruusalo or meelahee ku qudbeen doonaan.

The reason I bring up this "common public interest" places is, capital cities need plenty of public lands. Otherwise, cities will no longer be attractive enough have a major support being a capital.

OLOL   

MMA This is CULUSO - who was the mnister of Agriculture back then in Siad Barre's cabinet.

He is a very experienced financial technocrat. Maybe you are confusing him with another Culuso ... He helds many degrees from many european and american universities and has worked with world bank and IMF....

I know this guy for he was my brother's neighbor in Circolo Officiale area.

Kun aa ka daba nageeneeysid asaa ka heer sareeya laakiin isku qolo maahidiin marka inaad xaqoiraad saas ah oo caadifad qabiil ku saleeysan meesha keentid waa nasiib xumo

OLOL   

As for Xamar Cadeey - it is the biggest and most important city in Somalia. Mogadishu is Somalia and Somalia is Mogadishu. If we need to have a lasting peace and reconcilliation...we have to fix the problems of the capital city and it is the government who has to take the lead here and not run away FROM its duties.

Some of us, here in the Diaspora who happen to hail from other regions maybe biased but as someone who was born and bred in Xamar...and who have visited there three times in the last 7 years, I know the majority of the Mogadishu people are very sincere in their search for peace and stability.

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum

Maskiin

"Culusoowgii biibitooyinka Istar iyo kuwii kale taagnaa shimee "cabinet" ku jiray? Hadana "governor of central bank?" Ar maxaa jago sharafta laga qaaday."

Xaad ka rabtaa igaarka maandhow? smile.gif Seriously speaking none of the cabinet ministers (including the dakhtar xoolaha), the president and even the qaadwade shariif have the merits to run a biibito let alone a dawlad.

If you go to Stockholm and I guess many cities the only people who talk about dawlad are losers. Someone from stockholm visited the little village I call home last month and according to romours this guy is going to be the new somali safir in Stockholm. He calls himself Dr without attaining any degrees; He has been living in sweden 14 years without holding a job; But when the talk about government this loser saw a window of opportunity and he is everywhere talking to the gaalos about helping the government- and starting consular activities.

Our Dr. Culusow above makes some valid points. Shalay waa Jowhar maanta waa Baydhabo saadambe waa ceelbuur, saakuma waa Kismayo. These so called government spends more time begging donors in the west and arab countries than bring peace. I see a pattern that is developing. This government is not different than Ina Salad Boys'.

Adisababa, Arte and Nairobi.. toloow 2008 xaggee lagu qaban doonaa shirka dib u heshiinta (dib u heshiisin is not actually the problem) . Somali waa heshiisay waxaay ku heshiisay in aaysan weligeeda heshiinin.

Aniga waxaay ila tahay in soomali dhibaatadeeda aay tahay mid ku lugaha ku sidata "DAwlad". "Dawlad" waxba ma keeno; dhib ,dil iyo dhac unbaay keenta.

Kun aa ka daba nageeneeysid asaa ka heer sareeya laakiin isku qolo maahidiin marka inaad xaqoiraad saas ah oo caadifad qabiil ku saleeysan meesha keentid waa nasiib xumo.

Yaa ka "dabanaageeyaa?" Intee igu aragtay anigoo qof ka dabadhirif u eh? Eebboow ha cadaabin qof aan waxba ogeyn.

About Culusoow, magacyadooda ayaa isku eg, koleey amee walaala yihiin, kan aa ka hadlaaye Cabdi Max'ed Culusoow aa la dhahaa, oo "Dr" title ah wata, degan Koronto. Hadaan arkaa kan qoraalkaan qoray asagana Max'uud Max'ed Culusoow in la yiraahdo, yaa ogaado asaga title "Dr" waa wataa. Close waaye.

Teeda kalena, aniga ha ii sheegin about Xamar. Anybody who frequently this forum knows that well, aniga iyo Xamar inaan kala harin, xudunteyda ayaa ku duugan. Laakiin runta mala qariyo. I TOO was there in Xamar in the past, more recently in mid 2003. Do not pressume those who may criticize the situaton in Xamar present times hail from other regions.

I never understood, though, who represent the real Xamar; ma ciyaal xamar mise the kooyto of later day?

Cara.   

Originally posted by OLOL:

As for Xamar Cadeey - it is the biggest and most important city in Somalia. Mogadishu is Somalia and Somalia is Mogadishu. If we need to have a lasting peace and reconcilliation...we have to fix the problems of the capital city and it is the government who has to take the lead here and not run away FROM its duties.

Some of us, here in the Diaspora who happen to hail from other regions maybe biased but as someone who was born and bred in Xamar...and who have visited there three times in the last 7 years, I know the majority of the Mogadishu people are very sincere in their search for peace and stability.

Very true walaal. I wasn't born in Xamar, but I spent my formative years there (I came as an economic immigrant with my family from Galkacyo agagaarkeeda). There's no doubt in my mind that a legitimate gov't must return to Xamar, but, like everything else associated with Somali politics, it's a knotty problem with an unobvious solution.