Sign in to follow this  
Viking

The Contender

Viking   

Sergio wins Contender rematch in a controversial split decision

Contender champion Sergio Mora beat Peter Manfredo Jr. yet again, winning an eight-round rematch by a split decision.

As the LA Daily News reports, “Manfredo Jr. outlanded Mora 180-133, but Mora landed a higher percentage, 32 percent to 30 percent overall and 36 percent on power punches to Manfredo Jr.’s 34 percent.†ESPN runs down the fight round by round.

The Daily News notes that Manfredo “certainly looked better than he did the first time the two fought in May, but ultimately, Mora was able to draw Manfredo Jr. into confrontations on the inside, negating Manfredo’s strong jab and power punching ability.â€

Mora told the paper, “I’m not going to lie, the first three rounds were competitive, I might have even given them to him,†Mora said. “I couldn’t see so I had to change my game plan. …But I won this fight. I hurt him, and he never hurt me.â€

Manfredo disagrees, saying, “Yes I felt robbed. I knew I was taking a chance fighting him in his backyard but I was willing to do it but I talked to the Contender people as long as I knew I could get a fair decision. I felt I beat him in every single category.â€

One of the two undercard fights also had a controversial decision; Jessie Brinkley defeated Anthony Bonsante by unanimous decision after the fight was stopped for Bonsante.

For their efforts, “Manfredo Jr., Brinkley and Bonsante each received $100,000 purses,†the Daily News reports, “while welterweight Alfonso Gomez made $75,000.â€

Source

-------------------------------------------------

The rematch was very controversial and the judges did a poor job in two of the three fights. Looking forward to The Contender 2, hope it's as captivatingas the first.

Nephissa   

Oh the Contender used to be the highlight of my Sunday. There was no one more deserving to win then the Latin Snake. A helluva boxer.

Anyone remember the Arab punk?

Kashafa   

LOL ^^ "Arab-turned-Dannish-turned-I lube Amerika, baby."

Him and the the black dude were the highlight of the entire series. Always poppin' off at the mouth :D

Viking   

Ahmed and Ishe were decent boxers. Ahmed was so into himself that he forgot to box, he was busy selling his image as a 'pretty-boy'. Ishe could have beaten Sergio (the Latin Snake) easily but he got angry...a very negative thing in a boxing ring.

Najai's "Valentine's Day" suicide came as a shock to everyone...he was a promising boxer. But it had more to do with a custody battle than the boxing.

Sky   

The Contender is as fake as the WWF. When I saw the black dudes getting their asses kicked in the ring, I knew that this shit was fake. Sly is just trying to fatten his pockets, I mean does anyone remember his last movie? Nuff said.