Sign in to follow this  
Raamsade

The Myth of the Anti-Muslim Backlash

Cara Dear,

What do you think of Gordon Brown's recent outburst?

He told the BBC: ‘We’ve got to expose the extremists and we’ve got to, like the Cold War in the 1950s, we’ve got to use every method of communication possible because there are at least 5,000 internet sites promoting Jihadist violence.’

Great minds think alike, eh@cara?

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Raamsade:

You dismiss FBI statistics on hate crime and then proceed to give a list taken right out of the talking-points of Islamic pressure groups. A "hieghtened atmosphere of suspicion against any and all members of x group" is not a hate crime as per US Common Law and if it is, there is no way to objectively measure it.

The FBI's hate crime statistics may not be perfect in fully capturing hate crime but it is the best and most objective way to gauge the trends in hate crimes as defined by the law.

It would greatly help if you read my post(s) clearly. I did not dismiss FBI crime statistics. I said defining a backlash as FBI hate crime statistics is incorrect as the author did in his article. Please see the above post for reasons why.

I get it now, closing down charities that are fronts for terrorists hellbent on killing Americans is rank Islamophobia.

I made no mention of Islamphobia in my post. I simply restricted myself to properly defining a backlash rather than latching on to the author's self-serving definition. A definition that serves bigots well.

You certainly have the right to close down charities hellbent on killing Americans. Indeed that is a basic function of any responsible state. But in the aftermath of 9/11 many charities were presumed guilty and closed down. Many are still unable to operate. This is neither correct nor effective in the longrun. Not to mention it turns fundamental Americanisms like presumed innocent until proven guilty on their head.

I'm curious - were you supportive of the closure of Al-Barakat?

I'm sure the victims on the planes that went down on 9/11 would've loved if Mohammed Atta and company were taken off those planes. Don't you agree with me?

Are Muslims fliers under greater scrutiny today than before 9/11, you bet. But I suggest you lay the blame on your coreligionists for not only flying planes into buildings but CONTINUING their war against your hosts.

I've never been a fan of collective punishment. Perhaps you are. As I've stated these sorts of blanket actions are not effective even if you endorse the underlying but misguided rationale.

Like I said above, blame it on your pious coreligionists. Without Jihadi terror not a single innocent Muslim would be subjected to extraordinary rendition.

I like your thinking ;) It is very convenient. It absolves you and your ilk from any responsibility for 'your' actions. I suppose your sort of thinking would also suffice for the blacks wrongly convicted in the US justice system and then freed later on DNA evidence. After all blacks do commit a lot crimes.

This complaint illustrates why people are skeptical of Muslims' claims of Islamophobia. How is celebrating and defending freedom of religion, freedom of speech and the right to life indicative of Islamophobia? The West celebrates Ayan Hirsi for her indefatigably, courage, acceptance and assimilation into Western lifestyle, mores and outlook, standing up to Islamic bullies and defending the right of the oppressed (Muslim and non-Muslim). That you consider the West's celebration of Ayan Hirsi as Islamophobic only indicates, once again, your contempt for their values.

Ayan Ali Hersi is a foul mouthed, lying, publicity seeking humanoid. Her inflammatory and fraudulent utterances on Islam and Muslims make the average reasonable person, Muslim or not, cringe much like Ann Coulter. It is not about the freedom of speech or the lack thereof. It's about a certain level of decency in public discourse. That such an individual is celebrated and feted speaks to a latent anti-Muslim bias.

I don't know where you arrived at the conclusion that my diagnosis of Islamphobia regarding the celebration of Ayan Ali Hersi as showing contempt for western values. Odd.

Again - please read my posts several times before responding. I believe I write with sufficient clarity to be easily understood.