Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Somalia Govt Reverses Press Ban!

I am sure they recieved a call from Melez to unban the order. Common for most any puppet regime. They do something silly first & since they are incompetent they get lessons[Actually orders]from the masters to reverse the order.

Castro   

Disarmament, no disarmement. Negotiations, no negotiations. Amnesty, no amnesty. Media ban, no media ban.

What else do these puppet flip-floppers have in store for us?

Originally posted by Castro:

Disarmament, no disarmement. Negotiations, no negotiations. Amnesty, no amnesty. Media ban, no media ban.

Well,When you are not independent & you owe your existence to an outside power,such flipfloping is bound to happen at some point.

These doorknobs owe their existence to 2 masters. Two for heavens sake.The US & Menace Zina(wi). Information travels from the District of Columbia to Nairobi to Addis to the Villa Somalia; It was a public holiday here in the USA so they just made that decision without the Main Master. When they got back to work…that order was reversed. They probably got a tongue lashing too.

Paragon   

:D A game called 'The Elimination Process'. Soon they'll take on each other. Now its Shariif Xassan, next could be Barre Hiiraale smile.gif (I know I am annoying you Horn, just bear with me).

Puntlanders are in the helm now, their (Ethiopian supported) words are final! They don't have a place for arguing back or media rebellion. All that can be eliminated would be eliminated ;) .

Pi   

^^ Abu Paragon's reasoning: the government belongs to the tribe of the president (the puntlanders). Dude, is this how cultivated a liberal arts or humanities education makes you? I always knew all those Somalis who studied Political Science and other arts programs were not so bright. Look no further than Paragon. LOL.

Anyhow, the government is run by a group of men who hail from different parts of Somalia. These group of men have powerful political advisers (Ethiopia, US). That's all.

I've seen some people who support the TFG because they think it belongs to their sub-sub clans. There are others who don't support it because they think it belongs to certain sub-clans. Both groups are, as NGNONGE would say, obtuse and duplicitous. The government "belongs" to all Somalis regardless of what some deluded proponents and opponents say.

Paragon   

^^ Kiddo, you are too young to understand the simplicity of Somali politics. I'll give you another 20 years to grow up.

Anyhow, the government is run by a group of men who hail from different parts of Somalia. These group of men have powerful political advisers (Ethiopia, US). That's all

Correction: The govt is run by Warlords[Who has no tribe,his tribe is power,greed & money] & was handpicked by Ethiopia. They came to power atop tanks and soldiers of a poor country called ethiopia led by a dictator with the Name of Menace Zina(wi) with the backing & financing of the imperlistic & anti islamic world superpower.

Thank you very much.

NGONGE   

Pi,

It's true that the Somali government should belong to ALL the people. However, can you truly, hand on heart, say that this government does?

You’re right, there are many people supporting it because they’re merely hoping for peace and then there are many opposing it because they too are hoping for peace.

But, in between, the vast majority are supporting or opposing pure clannish reasons.

I make this judgment from reading the exchanges here on SOL. It seems that the overwhelming majority of those that reject this government hail from the capital and, not surprisingly, the vast majority of those cheerleading and voicing their support hail from Puntland! Could this really be a simple coincidence?

The whole thing is rotten, saaxib. But it’s not as rotten as overtly involving Americans and Ethiopians in Somali affair without at least putting some spin about regret and necessity on it. One can’t support a government that does that and commits the even bigger sin of not being able to conduct a simple propaganda exercise.

^ actually i have more respect for their lack of front. I am not sure whether that is the result of incompetence or being brazen .. but we can gues ;)

Pi   

NGONGE, sometimes I wonder if SOL and other internet outlets are indicative of what's on the ground. If expatriate Somalis support things purely for clannish purposes, it would make sense that Somalis in Somalia are equally, if not more, clannish. Strangely enough, I still don't think this is the case.

I think most residents of Mogadishu support any government irrespective of who runs it. Hordes of people welcomed the Prime Minister and President. I think most people are more war weary than they are clannish. Obviously, there are some residents of Mogadishu who oppose anything and everything this government stands for, but they are a minority. If they weren't a minority, the government would suffer more than small skirmishes in the capital.

Lastly, Ali Mahdi, Abdi Qasim Salad and other giant politicians (former) have met with the President and supported the government, although I'm sure with some caveats. Even the former warlords agreed to disarm. This is a national effort. Puntlanders alone don't have the wherewithal to bring all of this together. It's a collective Somali effort. I hope for the best.

Originally posted by Abu Paragon:

^^ Kiddo, you are too young to understand the simplicity of Somali politics. I'll give you another 20 years to grow up.

In other words,u are too old to not look beyond ur shoe laces?Ur dismayed stance is heart-breaking.Dude,move on and embrace the new dawn.What other choice do u have,Old man?

NGONGE   

Pi

I’d like to agree with you there and hope that this indeed is a national effort. I’d like to make myself believe that all involved are pushing in the same direction and that all are doing it for the good of Somalia. But I can’t.

Experience, history and former fallouts tell me that this is not the case. I’d be blind and extremely foolish if I didn’t heed all of that and instead starting singing about Somalia being reborn again.

You see, the difference between us is that we view the steps and events taking place so far differently. You view the cooperation of Abdel Qaasim Salad and Ali Mahdi as positive steps, whilst I view them as merely the actions of cornered men once again, paying lip service to the victor. Abdel Qaasim in particular, being the treacherous politician that he is, has done this before and met Abdullahi Yusuf as president before. Did the first time he met his president bear any fruits? Was he not later alleged to be the hand that moved the ICU puppet? Could it really be that the man has finally seen the light and decided to help this government that is led by one of his worst foes to final success? Surely that is very unlikely. These politicians are playing the politics game and their words; protestations or announcements are (we know from experience now) not to be taking seriously.

Now, let me address the issue of Cyber Somalis as opposed to those back home. Many here talk of cyber warriors and keyboard commandos. I fully agree with that sentiment. However, the only reason that makes me agree is that for most of us (that’s me, you and anyone else that takes part in these exchanges) the conflict is far away and we are sat here, in front of our computers, typing away our opinions and occasionally promising hellfire to the enemy (whomever he may be). That is the only thing in which we differ from our people back home. In everything else, we are the same.

You’ve got to look at the feel and atmosphere to realise that most of the political views on SOL and other Somali sites did not come from nowhere. You’ve got to listen to the speeches, arguments and grievances of Somali politicians to know that whatever opinions we share here are a reflection of what takes place there. Whenever a new event occurs in Somali politics and the cyber Somalis are lost or confused, most hurry to phone home to confirm this event and get some opinions as to what is expected to happen next. There really are no us and them in this one. It’s all us, saaxib.

Now, if the above convinced you that MOST of the views expressed here on SOL are reflections of what is taking place in the ground in Somalia I think you’ll also readily agree with the argument that the vast majority of supporters of the TFG are from Puntland too.

As for the capital and how people react there! Reaction has never been an indication of opinion in Somali politics. People moan, complain and have tantrums but hardly ever react straight away. They need to be whipped into an almighty frenzy before they fully start to panic and then react. This is why they tolerated the warlords, why they accepted the Courts and why they came out cheering for the TFG. It seems like a completely irrational reaction but if you examine it closely, you’ll see the method in this madness. You are right; people are war weary and only want peace. But will they get it? Don’t easily dismiss the strong clannish current that runs through every Somali’s entire being. It can be suppressed for a while, it can be ignored but when push comes to shove it always comes to the fore.

The TFG has been in control of the capital for less than a month. If the Ethiopians and others advise them wisely, they might take some steps to remove the fears of the people and counter the rumours about Puntland taking over the capital (with all the accompanying tribal connotations of course). If the ignorant warlords (Aideed, etc) are kept in check maybe the government will be able to carry on presenting a united front and convince the rest of us that there is really hope. If the Ethiopians show signs of retreating, maybe some people will try to forget the TFG’s complicity in inviting the Ethiopians in the first place. I could go on with all the ‘ifs’ but I’m sure you get the picture and realise the enormity of the situation.

There are so many obstacles and pitfalls in and on the way that would make it very difficult for any government to prevail. In the case of this shameless collection of warlords and opportunists it’s almost impossible to succeed. Still, that’s only my opinion and you are free to hope for the best. However, there is a difference between hoping (wishing for stars, etc) and having total and complete faith in the TFG. That, my friend, is simply absurd. :(

Castro   

^ Being a founding member of the "secessionist mafia", how could we possibly take your arguments, however convincing, to be of any value?