Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

WARLORDS DON'T LOVE ETHIOPIA ANY LESS LESS BUT HATE YUSUF MORE

NASSIR   

Warlords Don't Love Ethiopia Any Less But Hate Yusuf More

By Faisal Roble

March 21, 2005

The story of Somali collective memory is told and retold as being short and selective. Here is another variation of such a story pertaining to the controversy about Ethiopian peacekeeping mission in Somalia.

In the 1980s, the Somali National Movement (SNM), the United Somali Congress (USC), and the Somali Salivation Democratic Front (SSDF) were all housed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. They all collaborated to overthrow Mohamed Siad Barre, the late dictator that ruled Somalia from 1969 to 1990. Most of the constituents that these movements claimed to have represented showed or seemed to have shown a high degree of affinity towards Ethiopia throughout the last 20 or so years, a period that has one of the lowest points and marked the speedy erosion of Somali nationalism.

One way that the above-mentioned groups and their followers showed gratitude towards Ethiopia was carried:

By helping the late Ethiopian dictator Megistu Haile Mariam to dismantle Somalia and create what has since then deteriorated to the current disarticulated stateless nation;

By killing and or throwing Somali Galbeed refugees out of their respective districts. In Mogadishu, for example, helpless civilians who hailed from the Somali Region of Ethiopia were killed mercilessly during the early years of Somalia's civil war. In Jalalaqsi refugee camps, hundreds of people were beheaded and thrown to the Shabelle river and were denied any proper Islamic burial ceremony. In Hargeisa, thousands of refugees were slaughtered in what was called the Dam, or “Biyo xidheen.†And not many refugees went to Garowe or Bossaso, although these cities were as hostile when one looks that the sternest verbal abuses came from these regions. And so far, neither Ethiopia nor its yesteryear's or today's allies in Somalia has raised this human tragedy.

Somalilanders are on the record to say that they loved Ethiopia more than their own Somali brethren inside and outside of the republic. This sentiment is represented by one of the leader of Somaliland, Faysal Cali Warabe's [in] famous saying: “a boy born in Hargeisa has more commonality with one born in Addis Ababa than one in Mogadishu.â€

In the case of USC supporters, love for Ethiopia was captured by a pamphlet that I read in the early years of the 1990s that said some thing akin to “Hobyo port for Ethiopia.†As a result, the late General Caydid used to be the only warlord who received in Ethiopia with a red carpet stretched out to his Pole Airport arrivals.

As to Garowe's loyalty to Ethiopia, retelling the story here would be an overkill. Suffice it to say Bosaaso port is almost to replace the role Berbera had hitherto played for Ethiopia.

Today, irrespective of past affinity, all these groups are using Ethiopia as their bogyman to get to the top price and that is derailing Abdulahi Yusuf's government. They all have somehow agreed to shame Ethiopia not because they love Ethiopia any less, but because they hate what Ethiopia is doing for Abdullahi Yusuf more. It is a reminiscent of Shake Spear's assessment of the Rome of Caesar's killing of Brutus when he wrote: “It is not that I Love you any less, but that I love Rome more.â€

One Somalilander Website (Awdelnews) ran an editorial (Ethiopia as an enemy is engraved in the collective memory of Somali people) and went as far as suggesting that Ethiopia's animosity with the Somali people goes back to the war of Imam Ahmed Gurey in the 15 th Century. That is precisely the case. But, can one talk about Ethiopia's animosity and its role to stunt Somali national aspirations, and then let have Ethiopia train its navy at the coast of Berbera at will?

Other websites prematurely wrote in droves op-ed pieces to condemn Ethiopia as Somalia's eternal enemy while Yalaxow was telling the press that Ethiopia had in the past supplied weapons to himself (Yalaxow), Aidid, Qanyare and of course Abdullahi Yusuf. In another instance, one Somalilander, who recently decried about Ethiopian troops as peacekeepers in Somalia, once equated the search for Somali unity to racial purity, hence equating greater Somali nationalism with racism. To make matters worse, this piece was posted on Ethiopian websites!

Where does really Ethiopia fit in each group's particular and narrow agenda? As the Somali clan politics shifts like the weather of London, we may never give a precise and short answer to this question. It is intriguingly puzzling, however, to know that Ethiopia, as an old and more complex country, correctly reads the uncontrollable and immature emotions of Somalis for the authorities in Addis Ababa refer to Somalis as a simplistic tribal groups, as in “ armane ya Somale Zalan gosawoch,†pagan Somali tribal groups. As such, Ethiopia perhaps reads where every one of these different interest groups stands and it claims to understand their agenda in the current fiasco.

The issue of Ethiopian peacekeeping mission in Somalia itself is as strange as Ahmed Silanyo of Kulmiye party carrying the banner for the reinstitution of the former Democratic Republic of Somalia. That does not mean all of the critics of Ethiopian peace mission in Somalia do not have merit. Some of them may have. However, painting Ethiopia as a cruel colonial force that is Somalia's eternal enemy is quite a laughable matter. Did we suddenly wake up as of January 2005 from the slumber that Dr. Ali Abdul Rahman Hersi, a genuine proponent of Somali nationalism and critic of Ethiopian intervention all along, identified as a plague in today's Somalia?

All of the groups beating the drum against Ethiopia have in the past used or are still using Ethiopia (as in the case of Puntlanders and Somalilander) as their friend to weaken Somali nationalism. As viciously as clannish Somali clans and groups are, the current controversy surrounding Ethiopian peacekeeping mission is a classical case where a Somali clan or a political group would use anything at its disposal to advance its narrow tribal interest, even if that is smoking up the nation.

And one may suspect that the rest of the world, with the exception of some gullible western liberal groups like the International Crisis Group (ICG), sees said controversy as one of the many manifestations of Somalia's clan politics. If so, the entire Ethiopian bashing is nothing more than a political gymnastics by one political group against another.

What is disheartening is that Somalis in Ethiopia have lost what is estimated to be a third of their land in a sham plebiscite this past October that the Ethiopian parliament hastily rubber-stamped. Not a single Somali group, party or news group ever mentioned this historical miscarriage of justice with the exception of Wardheernews. Ethiopia is carrying the most comprehensive land grabbing policy

Most of the groups shedding crocodile tears have their own hidden agenda about their bone of contention with Ethiopia, but are masquerading it as Somali nationalism

Having said this, I join those on the other side of the fence and argue that Ethiopia may not be the right force to enforce either disarmament or peacekeeping mission in Somalia. Ethiopia is already, though, in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiiraan region, Baydhabo. Worse, Ethiopian Airlines have been flying into Somali cities, violating its air space for a number of years.

But, the very forces that have destroyed anything that was good about being Somali must not opportunistically use the cause of Somali nationalism in their political gymnastics to reach their parochial agenda.

Using Ethiopia as the bogyman must not be read outside the web of clan politics. To maximize one's clanist agenda, no stone is usually left unturned and that is the story of the 1980s and 1990s that would be told and retold. The Ethiopian bogyman is nothing more than one such a stone to be turned by as many groups and individuals as we have seen within the last two weeks. This is the real story retold, unflattering as it may sound.

Faisal Roble

E-mail: Fabroble@aol.com

Source: WARDHEERNEWS.COM

Originally posted by CAAMIR:

In the 1980s, the Somali National Movement (SNM), the United Somali Congress (USC), and the Somali Salivation Democratic Front (SSDF) were all housed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. They all collaborated to overthrow Mohamed Siad Barre,

Very true. They've all used Ethiopia's resources at some point or other.

Somalilanders are on the record to say that they loved Ethiopia more than their own Somali brethren inside and outside of the republic. This sentiment is represented by one of the leader of Somaliland, Faysal Cali Warabe's [in] famous saying:
“a boy born in Hargeisa has more commonality with one born in Addis Ababa than one in Mogadishu.â€

I was really disheartened and offended when he said that. He's but one of the many men who've associated to destroy Somali unity and nationalism as we know it.

One Somalilander Website (Awdelnews) ran an editorial (Ethiopia as an enemy is engraved in the collective memory of Somali people) and went as far as suggesting that Ethiopia's animosity with the Somali people goes back to the war of Imam Ahmed Gurey in the 15 th Century. That is precisely the case. But, can one talk about Ethiopia's animosity and its role to stunt Somali national aspirations, and then let have Ethiopia train its navy at the coast of Berbera at will?

LOL Hypocrisy.

What is disheartening is that Somalis in Ethiopia have lost what is estimated to be a third of their land in a sham plebiscite this past October that the Ethiopian parliament hastily rubber-stamped. Not a single Somali group, party or news group ever mentioned this historical miscarriage of justice with the exception of Wardheernews. Ethiopia is carrying the most comprehensive land grabbing policy.

Very true and Wardheernews.com must be commended for that.

Having said this, I join those on the other side of the fence and argue that Ethiopia may not be the right force to enforce either disarmament or peacekeeping mission in Somalia. Ethiopia is already, though, in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiiraan region, Baydhabo.

True, true, true. The enemy is within.

Ethiopia ALREADY occupies some Somali territory. So why cry and cower now? Why not cry and cower for the poor ethnic Somalis who's lands are being annexed? Why, why oh why?

Oh, its because we're nationalists! I get it now. Its "nationalistic" to be an Ethiopian-supported warlord (i.e. Yalahow, who admitted it) and at the SAME TIME oppose Ethiopia? Being on BOTH sides of the same issue - isn't that a warlord requirement?

We'll see how it all plays out. I wonder how these warlords will survive without Ethiopia providing their armaments. :confused:

NASSIR   

Today, irrespective of past affinity, all these groups are using Ethiopia as their bogyman to get to the top price and that is derailing Abdulahi Yusuf's government. They all have somehow agreed to shame Ethiopia not because they love Ethiopia any less, but because they hate what Ethiopia is doing for Abdullahi Yusuf more. It is a reminiscent of Shake Spear's assessment of the Rome of Caesar's killing of Brutus when he wrote: “It is not that I Love you any less, but that I love Rome more.â€

Though this premise seems conclusive remarks of the status of the government today, it is not true at all. Somalis envison a positive development in their government's work to relocate to Somalia despite the contraversial peacekeepers from Ethiopia.

The author touches the political reality of Somalia since 1980s that has forsooth engendered the erosion of Somali nationalism(Killing innocent Somalis viewed as enemy combatant by Ethiopia) and growth for parochial, clannish motives .

I must agree with the author, on this however Ethiopia's gain has been due to the lack of vision and drive on the art of the Somali's.

We destroyed our nation and become subjects to all our former rivals, Ethiopia, kenya and even our own Djabouti has gained significane on the back of Somalia.

Yet let me add one point, there must be a new chapter in the relations between Somalia and its neighbours, for how long can the poor Horn Africa nations continue to be involved in bitter warfare, what good has this doen for their development. Take he case of the Tigray dominated Eritria and Ethiopia former allies now are in an arms race that is dooming them both.

History has shown us that nation states only prosper when they are at peace, Germany and france are the greatest example of this for they fought for centuries only to realise their interdependence.

Rahima   

This is the part which most irritates me about this whole ordeal. It seems that some are using this effort to execute their hate and hoped failure of the government which they see as belonging to the one man. Whilst it’s true that at one time or another almost all the warlords were in bed with Ethiopia, let’s not forget that also intertwined in the same “NO†vote with these traitors are decent good people who ae sincerely after the best interests of the people which they represent.

At the end of the day, the point still remains, why is there this insistence on having Ethiopian troops part of the FTs? I still cannot work it out. If the president and PM see that this is a touchy issue for many Somalis, then why not simply replace them with troops from another African country? I don’t know if it’s just me, but this seems to be basic.

Furthermore, whilst I agree that there should be peace between Somalia and it’s neighbours (including Ethiopia), I believe that the government should be sensitive to the feelings of the people that they lead. I’m sure we all agree that the average Xaliima and Faarax are not exactly delighted over the prospect of having the Amxaaro come on to the land of Somalia.

I don’t see how having cordial relations with ones neighbours is linked to accepting them as part of the FTs deployment.

^^^ Rahima, you made some good points.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer

The government’s priorities are simple, restoration of security law and order to the republic. This will be central to everything the TFG does and the basis of its domestic and foreign policies.

Ethiopia is the major power of the region and has played a significant role in the reconciliation conference that created this government. Its support is vital in deflecting any serious challenges to the government with regards to the security situation.

The dilemma the nation finds itself dictates that we find a new some what innovative and practical approach in dealing with Ethiopia.

Excluding them is not necessary as they will only be part of a multilateral force. Keeping our ego intact is not as important as the mission to bring order and unity to the nation.

Emperor   

Rahima

I don’t see how having cordial relations with ones neighbours is linked to accepting them as part of the FTs deployment.

Sis, I didn't see in the good article above anything that implies your comment. Infact the writer was in agreement with you, and clearly said I'm with the NO Vote of ethiop. But the message was more than only troops, infact never mentioned many times in his article.

While I like your inputs and respect your Ideas, I happen to say that your post above should have well fitted the other topics that were discussed about FT's.

As I think the topic at hand was about Yey, an allegedly "lover" of ethiopia and the Mogadishu Warlords a supposedly "haters" of ethiopia??? What he thought of them backing his argument with some recent and few years back history.

What have we gotta say on that...

Rahima   

Keeping your enemies closer does not necessarily translate to having them on top of you. Ethiopia could for the time being be kept close through diplomatic ties whilst not neglecting that which is most essential- for this government of ours to respect the views of those who they hope to lead and bring the peace and prosperity to. It’s not like you have to give up one for the other, we can still develop cordial ties with Ethiopia (after we gain strength, then comes bang, get back SG ;) -I can dream :D ) but still respect the people of Somalia by excluding them from the troops deployment. This government is digging it’s own grave, all Somalis see is that CY is bringing Amxaaro, Alla ba’ayeey :eek: they’re coming to invade. They should be uniting not dividing.

Bottom line, the opinions of the Somalis is more important and should be of greater importance to the government than that of Ethiopia and Ethiopians. Let’s be honest, I as a Somali (I consider myself to be an average Somali) do not want a government, which is willing to throw out my opinions like they are meaningless so as to please foreigners. No, I come first :mad: ! It’s all about me for it is my bloody country and my bloody government.

Qorshel,

I was responding to brother Duke, not the article as such smile.gif .

Emperor   

Ooh sowie lady? Just never saw Duke's name on your response, so I considered as a normal reply to the topic.

Aright I got your point, sorry again never mind.

Gabbal   

Keeping your enemies closer does not necessarily translate to having them on top of you.

Best come back I've seen so far around here :D:D:D

Rahima   

Ooh sowie lady? Just never saw Duke's name on your response, so I considered as a normal reply to the topic.

It's all good brother smile.gif , it was my mistake i should of have made it clearer.

Rahima, many thanks for your reply. I understand your point 100% as I consider my opinions important neverthe less we must think outside the box for a bit.

Ethiopia has a number of leverages which puts our embryonic government at a disadvantage. The fisrt is its undertsanding of Somali factions and leaders and the supply of wepons it can give to any one faction or leader. The second is its influance on Somaliland and Puntland though the latter poses a less of a problem to the present government.

Now side stepping our emotions we see clearly the dangers it poses to derail the peace process and keep a wedge between Somaliland and the rest of the nation.

Having her onbaord as part of an international peace force would help the Somali state while also assuring her that Somalia is not a tool of the Arabs. We must also undertsand that Ethiopia itself is paranoid of Somalia and does not want to see it as an enemy...

Rahima   

The fisrt is its undertsanding of Somali factions and leaders and the supply of wepons it can give to any one faction or leader.

Call me an idealist, but I believe that the people of Somalia are generally good people and many support warlords simply because they have no other alternative (as they see it). If this government were to work towards the unity of the people and actually make progress they would have an alternative. This government needs to keep this in mind and compete for the hearts of the people, provide them with jobs, education, healthcare and build the infrastructure (all of which the warlords cannot provide and hence the fight will be won). On the other hand, I believe diplomacy is the way to go with these warlords-Cabdiqaasim tried the hard-handed technique and we all know that that didn’t work hence we must take on a different approach (learn from the past).

Now side stepping our emotions we see clearly the dangers it poses to derail the peace process and keep a wedge between Somaliland and the rest of the nation.’

Somaliland is fine; we need to fix our own backyards. Since PL and the south have decided that they still wish to be one country, we should be working to make progress and once we have reached a certain level of success, mainly attained peace and gained the basic necessitates for a functioning government, then can we sit at the table and discuss unity (making threats beforehand such as was reported of our president is not doing the idea of unity any favours). I personally do not believe that the majority of Somalilanders are against the idea of a united Somalia as such, but rather they do not see what there is to be united for, for there is no real progress. When we fix ours, then we can talk.

We must also undertsand that Ethiopia itself is paranoid of Somalia and does not want to see it as an enemy...

Currently, that I doubt, we all know that Ethiopia could crush Somalia in a minute second ;) (honesty is the best medicine folks). What they do not want is a strong Somalia, for it is this, which they are afraid of, so for us to be enticed by the idea that they want the best for us is to be delusional.

I still say keep them close with diplomcatic ties but keep the enemy off the sacred land.