Sign in to follow this  
Kowneyn

War Crimes Tribunal Confirmed

Kowneyn   

Maxkamada Dambiyada Dagaalka ee Caruusha oo Ogolaatay Qaadista dacwadaha la xidhiidha dambiyadii dagaalka ee Somaliland laga Galay 80-maadkii!

Maxkamada Dambiyada Dagaalka ee Caruusha oo Ogolaatay Qaadista dacwadaha la xidhiidha dambiyadii dagaalka ee Somaliland laga Galay 80-maadkii Maxkamada caalamiga ah ee dambiyada dagaalka Caruusha ayaa ogolaatay qaadista dacwadaha la xidhiidha dambiyadii iyo xasuuqyadii laga geystay Somaliland xiliyadii 80-maadkii markii ay dalka ka talinaysay xukuumadii Maxamed Siyaad Barre.

Maxkamadan oo qaadaysay dambiyadii dagaalka ee ka dhacay dalka Rwanda ayaa dhawaan ogolaatay qaadista dacwado lagu soo oogayo dadkii geystay dambiyadii xasuuqa ee ka dhacay Somaliland 80-maadkii. Maxamed Barkhad Ismaaciil oo garyaqaan u dhashay Somaliland ayaa horgeeyey maxkamada Caruusha dacwadaha la xidhiidha xasuuqyadaasi.

Garyaqaankan oo ah nin si weyn looga yaqaan dalka Tanzania ayaa la filayaa n inuu dhagar qabayaal badan oo ka qayb qaatay xasuuqyadii loo geystay dadka reer Somaliland xiliyadii sideetamaadkii maxkamada horkeeno cadaymahooda.

Source: Jamhuuriya

Kowneyn

Liqaye   

There is a slight irregularity in the setting up of the "court", namely under what jurisdiction does it exist?

Also will the court prosecutors be appointed by Riyaale and the other afar-jebleeyal that like him have every thing to lose?

Somaliland has had "peace" for 10 years, a freely and fairly rigged election, and controls about only 65% of the landmass it insists on calling it's own.

Maybe now if you play act a court and trials of war criminals, every thing will fall into place?

On another note will the SNM fighters (that have been raised to the dizzying heights of mujahidin no less) who had taken part in retributive violence be expected to take the stand any time soon.

the raison d'etre of a nation goes beyond the setting up of comprimised and comedic institutions, if it were,14 years of declarations of independence, of ignored passports and currency, of kow-towing to the ethiopians and the west would have been more than enough.

It has not been, I only ask my self when rer-waqooyi will get it.

Qudhac   

Liqaye

its not under the jurisdiction of somaliland authority so i dont see where u going with this play acting court, somaliland has had free election according to international election moniters experts from 14 countries but ofcourse you know better, and on the SNM point SNM did not commit crimes agains people of somaliland, yes they did kill certain people who commited crimes agains the people and where dumb enough to stay behind and rightly given taste of their own medicine therefore.

SNM = MUJAHADIIN

diid oo dilaac.

Liqaye   

Qudhac

its not under the jurisdiction of somaliland authority so i dont see where u going with this play acting court,

I see this is under the auspices of the U.N mandated court in arusha?

First of all the mandate of the court was trying of criminals of the RWANDAN genocide, secondly

for it to extend it's mandate it would have to have been through the U.N general assembly, an action that i have not heard a word of.

But assuming that this was the case, there must be a system for it to bring criminals to the court, in yugoslavia there is an internationally recognized goverment that it deals with same as in rwanda, who do you propose it deals with in unrecognized separtist entity such as somaliland?

Or are you hoping for recognition through the back door, if you are international law would not allow it.

Qudhac said:

somaliland has had free election according to international election moniters experts from 14 countries but ofcourse you know better

Oh brother...... :rolleyes:

Qudhac said:

and on the SNM point SNM did not commit crimes agains people of somaliland, yes they did kill certain people who commited crimes agains the people and where dumb enough to stay behind and rightly given taste of their own medicine therefore.

SNM = MUJAHADIIN

Like i said with such attitudes i wonder what sort of war crime definition would be used to prosecute people?

Lest peoiple mistake me for an apologist because i am no such thing, i will make it as clear as i can THAT THERE WERE WAR CRIMES COMMITED IN WAQOOYI IS BEYOND DOUBT, THAT BOTH THE SNM AND THE SIYAD GOVERMENT ARE CULPABLE IS ALSO BEYOND DOUBT.

As for me bursting, because of somebody wishing that on me,,,, well after 480 posts on the politics section i am quite immune to any sort of habaar.

:cool:

Baashi   

Kowneyn,

What happen to the critical thinking or have you lately become so biased you lost your sense of judgment? This is rubbish and nonsensical piece. Here is the reason why:

1. The UN has established two ad hoc tribunals to punish crimes committed in relation to two specific contexts: Rwanda and Yugoslavia.

2. The conduct of individuals is a matter of national courts.

The last time I checked the individuals accused of these crimes were not Rwandan, how on earth would they be tried in Arusha Tribunal is beyond me since Arusha Tribunal’s jurisdiction is limited to actions committed in Rwanda or by Rwandan nationals.

SNM is "mujahid" for some and a "villian" for others. So is USC, Abdiqasim, and some former government officials. If and when we got a working government will have them (all folks in commanding position at the time of crimes were committed) answer few specific crimes against humanity. Let's try them all. Selective justice is no no proposition.

AYOUB   

Baashi

(all folks in commanding position at the time of crimes were committed)

This will exclude the people who did the the torturing and killings won't it? Maybe we should have a 'Truth Commission' like South Africa and spend the money on the orphans and crippled.

Baashi   

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

Maybe we should have a 'Truth Commission' like South Africa and spend the money on the orphans and crippled.

Not a bad idea at all. That way the gennie would stay in the bottle where it belongs. The bottle should be locked up tight for eternity.

Kowneyn   

Baashi:

The SNM was fighting a brutal regime and the target is the members of that regime, not even the southern malitia who were purported to have committed many crimes.

The ultimate responsibility of what happened in the Somali Republic falls on Barre's regime.

Kowneyn

AYOUB   

Baashi I suggested 'Truth Commission' because it might make it easier for some people to admit their crimes because they won't fear punishment if they did, and not to 'bottle' things as you put it. If the likes of you and Liqaye are already on the defensive what are chances of the 'real' culprits admitting their crimes. ;) Since tribunals don't give death setences even to most brutal of individuals and take years if not decades, the only way to get the facts recoreded might be following what the South Africans did. I thought Milosevic submitting a witness list 1,500+ was the best time-wasting tactic but you came up with: "If and when we got a working government will have them... answer few specific crimes against humanity". If you can't try these criminals now, how will you be able to do it when or if become your official 'working government' )? Time is marching on and some of the suspects are no longer with us.

Baashi   

Kowneyn,

Somali National Movement ;) was at war with Somali government headed by Barre. The tribunals weigh in how these wars were conducted. Hence there were two sides in this war therefore Riyale as well as Siilaanyo will take the hot seat to answer few questions. Boorame victims as well as Berbera, Hargeysa, Burco will come in record numbers to make their case. Is this what you really want to happen. Morgan and Ganni are the citizens of Somalia and Somaliland have no recourse in issuing Subpoenas for their arrest :D dang! see how difficult this is :D I think they are guilt so are many so-called "mujahadiin" in your neck of the wood. Or La jiifiyaana banaan is the motto here.

If you remember the elders adjudicated the quarrel on this issue by dismissing all the claims about that civil war. The reason being had they opened the Pandora box the political and militia elites would have found themselves on the hot seat. It goes both ways.

If you see tribunal a necessary tool to see justice addressed then go to the UN Security Council and get the mandate from them. That is how it is done my friend. Don’t feed us misinformation…this post is case in point…we know better.

Ayoub,

Common pal! You got it all wrong. Defensive? Nah! I’m keeping it real buddy :D

Liqaye   

Ayoub brother dont change the subject, neither me or baashi is against a tribunal commision or what ever you choose to call it per se, but the simple fact is this particular article is a piece of misinformation, as for the tribunal and what have you i would appreciate it if you gave a few examples on how the logisitical and legal issues will be surmounted.

Qudhac   

Weather people like it or not the people of somaliland supported and loved the SNM which toppled the despotic dictatorship of siyad barre, what other non-somalilanders make of the SNM is irrelivant really cos the SNM operated in its own backyard and fought for and were backed by its own people.

On the other hand there is no doubt as to who was responsble for the deaths of alot of innocent people and those people will sooner or later pay their dues, SNM is not the ones on the run in fact they are enjoying the fruits of their hard work in somaliland.

king_450   

This war tribunal court,in my view will only be successfull if it prosecute not only the few they had in mind set, but to all those who worked under the former dictator,who supported day in day out the killing of all somalis during what i hear about 30+yrs of rule.They must have known the killings that was going on, if it does that,then i think even the current Prez of somaliland is subject to be prosecuted and but to death!.If not then it is another porpoganda tool.

i don't see what the fuss is all about? If criminals,murderers etc. are to be tried so be it. nomads here should not scared about that. if you know your innocence then your safe. or IS THERE DAD, BROTHER, UNCLE ETC WHO DID SOME BAD DEEDS IN WAQOOYI! in that case your fear is understandable :D . Having said that, after more than 14 years of no justice, there are little prospect of that. there is culture of misinformation that is developing in somaliland lately. remember Reyaals trip to London, catching culprits of charity worker and so forth.

Gabbal   

Weather people like it or not the people of somaliland supported and loved the SNM which toppled the despotic dictatorship of siyad barre, what other non-somalilanders make of the SNM is irrelivant really cos the SNM operated in its own backyard and fought for and were backed by its own people.

Qudhac no offense but that extremity is what has destroyed Somalia and continues to be an obstacle to peace and prosperity for Somalis. Not everything is right and wrong bro, everything has it's twist, turns, secrets, and problems. Yes, the north was attacked under the banner of the regime of the late presidentand the SNM rose to fight against the army of the former regime, but is that to say the SNM was godly and saintly? If you think that simply because you're from the north, than that is biased, partisan, and an extreme view.

The real fireworks start when that point of view is faced with another extremist with an extreme view such as Siad Barre (ilahay ha u naxariisto) was the best president on earth, he had every right in attacking the north, and that the SNM were all thieves, criminals, and should be murdered because they commited treason against the state.

What most Somalis lack is a moderate viewpoint. A person that is able to look at every situation and use good and sound judgement, without a hint of bias or partisanship.

ALL AND EVERYONE WHO COMMITTED CRIMES AGAINST THE SOMALI PEOPLE SHOULD BE TRIED AND BE GIVEN A JUST PUNISHMENT, WHETHER THEY BE FORMER GOVERNMENT MEMBERS, SNM, USC, SSDF, SNF, SPM, etc. REGARDLESS OF SEX, CLAN, AGE, OR REGION OF ORIGIN.

See you can still be a moderate, and have a hardline or extreme viewpoint. smile.gif