Sign in to follow this  
Liibaan

The former NSS Officer is Truly Naked

Liibaan   

The Somaliland King Is Truly Naked

Nairobi (HAN) March 12th, 2007 - The arrests of Gabobe and Dini took place after armed Somaliland police and CID forces who originally came to arrest Haatuf editor Dini and reporter Farah, forced their way into HMN offices without legal warrant or court summons. The Somaliland Journalists, Yusuf Abdi Gabobe and editor of Haatuf Daily, Ali Abdi Dini, were arrested on 2 Jan 2007 over a series of articles written by Haatuf investigative reporter Farah and published in Haatuf Daily from November 2006 to January 2007. The articles exposed corruption and nepotism by President Dahir Rayale and his household

The Somaliland political analyst, Mohamud Tani: The President got afraid of a story. He wanted to take the journalist to prison. The Editor of the paper said NO WAY. The president got very frightened. He sent both the reporter and the editor to jail. Another reporter took pictures linked to the story. The president got out of his wits with fear. He sent two other reporters to the CID. The president could not trust the press law. He could not trust the CID detention centre. He could not trust the lieu of the court. He opted for a remote prison, out of the public site. There, in the middle of the jailers and prison guards the court had to listen to the case and sentence the journalists. The president was even so afraid of what he did that he timed the sentence on a date that he was away from the country on an important mission.

The irony of the matter is that he needed not to be afraid at all. If he made a mistake; if he became a little angry after someone has crossed a gentlemanly line and insulted his wife. If he became angry about that, I won’t blame him. If the anger caused that he loses his mind and puts the alleged culprit in prison. All he needed to do was just to calm down, rectify his mistake, release the journalist, and deal the matter in a civilized way. He need not be afraid and play hide and seek with the public. As far as this incident of HAATUF is concerned , every Somalilander sees that this time the KING IS TRUELY NAKED.

In life if you lose that sense of proportionality, you end up being a loser. Compare this: When the story was first published, there was a considerable anger, sadness and disappointment at the dinner table of the president's home. Everybody at the table did not see the story as fair. Well I also agree it was below the belt. Though from my own point of view someone at that level of power should expect something like this and worse from the Media. Anyway the story caused headaches, uneasiness and irritation at the President’s home. However, when the president reacted to make his own move in reply to what has been done to his family. He took the journalists to jail. That caused havoc at the dinner tables of the journalists’ families. If somebody makes your wife and your kids irritated and angry by insulting them, would you reply by making their wives and children weep? That is quite out of proportion.

I would not have blamed the President, had he walked into the Haatuf office and bunched somebody in the nose. That is a gentlemanly way to protect the dignity of your family. What is unacceptable, as far as I am concerned is to get even with somebody by using the power of your office. That is quite unmanly and despicable.

I am a member of the UDUB party, and I so far support the presidency of Mr. Rayale. However we should not be silent and be party to an action that is blatantly wrong and mismanaged. Prophet Mohamed said. "Support your brother both when he is a victim and when he is the oppressor". The companions were surprised and said 'Oh dear prophet Mohamed. We understand to support him when is the victim, how can we support him when he is the oppressor.". The prophet replied, "Oh my companions, if you stop him from making the oppression, that is like supporting him" I therefore beseech President Rayale to face his problems like a man. Not to react with the mood of his household. It is the whole nation that he is responsible for. There is nothing you should be afraid of if you act with fairness and common sense. Otherwise only you would be the one that reaps the whirlwind of your less than gallant actions. Opinion Contributed by: Mohamud Tani

Sources: IGAD2020 Regional Security Watch, HAN & Geeska Afrika Online (1985-2007

Liibaan   
BUUBAA "waxa jooga waa dadkii dawladdii Siyaad Barre ku jiray ee dhibaatadii umadda lagu hayay ka midka ahaa...kuwa joogaa waxay ahaayeen kuwii NSS-ta ahaa, ee dadka gumaadayay, ayaa maanta leh waxaanu u go’nay sababtoo ah waa nala gumaaday. Waxaasina wax caqliga gala maaha, waxaanay ila tahay in arrimo kale loo jeedo’e, aan loo jeedin wax danta umadda ah. Waayo, anigu waxaan u arkaa danta dadka Somaliland jooga, inay ku jirto inay ka mid noqdaan umadda Soomaaliyeed, oo ay doorkooda ka ciyaaraan kaalinta ay ku yeelanaya."

NASSIR   

Thanks Garad, no doubt Riyale's ruling elite has developed into totalitarian dictatorship. The characteristics that define all dictators are relative and varied but their actions truly speak for them. Have you read the excellent Editorial by Wardheernews: Developmental Dictatorship in the Making?

Jaylaani   

"Ninkii tiisaba dar yeelaa walaalkiina tiirsha"

Anigu ma odhan...Somaliaa ku maah maahday. waa hadal hore loo yidhi.