Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Somali Federalism:

NASSIR   

Don't heed to the format text of this article. It is an opinion from Back Home.......

Somali Federalism: (by xaaji muuse muruq)

The new word on which the newly created government excessively utilizes and

abuses, is "federal". However, before we jump on the bandwagon, it is necessary that we examine its validity in regards to Somalia, the forces behind the idea,who will benefit from it and finally its application towards Somalia.

Federalism is feasible after two or more sovereign states or peoples decide to unite. Bearing in mind that there are, separate local governments, proportional parliamentary Representation, wealth sharing, fair economic distribution on one hand, national defense and foreign affairs departments, on the other to name a few.

Therefore, to federalize Somalia, we have to look back and see the post colonial era and establish to the reader, the fact that there was indeed a union between British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland. And to that end, I shall say, right there and then, federalism was pragmatic, however, promoting a federation

between two or more autonomous states based on the "temporary federal constitution" without openly and clearly stating, that the intentions are, a re-union between Somaliland and the rest of Somalia as a block, is rather absurd,

with other implications and hidden agendas.

Puntland and Ethiopian connection:

Puntland is a north east area of Somalia, that since 1998 had local government with a relative stability, booming economy and potential offshore and inshore energy reserves. Puntland also claims its domain stretches beyond the colonial borders and all the way to sanaag and sool, which Isaqi , Warsangeli and Dhulbihante inhabit respectively, claiming that those borders don't exist anymore. Athough there is a small percentage of the latter clans who claim that they are Puntlanders, nevertheless, it was unfortunate that the southern Somalis accepted

Puntland's claim without consulting the Warsangeli suldan,elders and Dhulbahnte Garads and elders. Furthermore, puntland leaders intentionally convinced other Somalis,

with the help of Ethiopia, to divide power on clan basis rather than regional one. Those leaders with their cohorts (Ethiopians) created

an ill intended party named SSRC led by Abdillahi Yusuf simply to marginalize

Hawiyya power and to make them ineffective as members of any government. It has been already reported in the Mogadishu political circles, that SSRC dealt a Hard blow to USC.

Abdulahi Yusuf's plan to minimize and marginalize potential powers in all

Somalia didn't stop there, but shed a light and paved a way for him to create a rift

between RRA and accordingly put Their leaders in two categories; the Ethiopian

group (Abdilahi Yusuf's SSRC) and the group that doesn't fit the Ethiopian

criteria, for facilitating its conquest.

Ethiopia's non-existent marine outlet, and the apparent Djabouti triumph as a regional economic and political power with the successful appeal of

President Gouleh towards the Americans is a real threat to the Ethiopians directly and to the Kenyans indirectly. Therefore, one should explore all venues on which we could find all possibilities pertaining to the Ethiopian

involvement and its payoff. Berbera is a potential port to serve Ethiopian imports, but the fact that Berbera is not as deep port as Djabouti and the

logistical problems it would encounter (ONLF) paved the way for an all out effort on the part of the Ethiopians to try to disintegrate Somalia and explore numerous Somali ports, whether old or newly built ones, like the joint plan of

Puntland and Ethiopia to create a deep-water port in Garacad, Mudug region, construct a roadway to Ethiopia and the permission to have its troops come in to protect Puntland as whole and their investment, with the full intent of

both parties to ignore the rights of Somalis as a sovereign nation. This is done,

my fellow country men, by misusing federalism to serve both groups on our

expense.

Assuming that my elaboration is correct, the inherent idea is that Ethiopia

succeeded in trying to make the re-emergence of powerful Somalia impossible

and the sad reality that there, is on the part of Puntland, those who would conspire with the enemy just to get their way on the expense of our beloved

Somalis and both Somalia and Somaliland.

There is a game,a very simple game in nature, yet too illusive for the Somali

leaders to comprehend. A game in which if you participate you loose, and if

you don't it is a guaranteed loss. A game that is so simple, the Ethiopian cab

drivers in Washington DC, would poignantly call Somalia the sixth district;

derived from the fifth district or "kiilka shanaad". I don't have a bias towards

Puntland, for they are my kinfolks, however it is my duty as a Somali to tell

whose plan was it and why. Some would immediately come to total

denial that Puntland is not responsible, but remember tokenism should not come into play, because those Hawiyya participants in this game are SSRC members.

Conclusion:

Somali federalism is an Ethiopian product, which is actually proper to apply it to Ethiopia rather than forcing it on us. It is intended to compromise our sovereignty and to take our pride to the bottom. Our neighbors always felt and openly implied how inferior we are, and sadly with the progression of these events, that would soon become a reality. Our morale hit rock bottom. The Somalis in Gashaamo said no to Ethiopian tax, but the crystal ball lady Next door, told me that I would soon pay it in Erigabo. The Somalia that the late Gemal abdulnasir thought would guarantee the flow of the Nile, can't even guarantee the sovereignty of Baraawe. SSRC, Puntland and the independent Freelancers are all enjoying the fruits of this conspiracy. And to this, I shall say that, the simultaneous Ethiopian meddling in Somali affairs and the emergence of SSRC, put a stamp on the long-term Ethiopian dominance in the region and the short-term SSRC leadership of the so called Transitional Federal Government respectively. The application of this idea of federalism on Somalia, in this way, has a different and ugly significance aimed and geared towards the gradual disappearance of the nation as a sovereign one. However, at the right circumstance and time, it would positively serve all Somalis to re-unite again under a good and patriotic federal government.

But hope is coming. Asha, zakariya, Muse sudi, Barre Hirale, Saransoor, Mohamed O Jees, Osman Ato, Ali Basha, Jiniboqor,Xaabsade and so many others, are still alive. And there will be a Somaliland that will disengage from its politics of indifference towards Somalia, a Somaliland whose people would exercise their sense of forgiveness and would value being a Somali, for I am Somali-somalilander.

By: Xaaji Muuse Muruq

Damala Xagare

Sanaag