Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

The battleof the lobby groups

Liqaye   

Well amidst all the usall clan politiking, and the usual spectacle of confrences being setup...and confrences..well failing, there has emerged a very intreasting new phenomenon.

The lobby group.

Based usually in the west, claiming to represent the people of somalia or somaliland as the case may be, they have developed in sophistication persuasivness and media savy.

These are two examples.

Somaliland policy and reconstruction institute

Pan-somali council for peace and democracy (ISRAACA)

What do you think about them, and their effects on somali society?

Good

Bad

or just another player in a very crowded arena.

LANDER   

Interesting,

I didn't see the Isracaa lobby group before. I think these lobby groups in general are good when they focused on the betterment of somali lives back home. For example there is an article on the ISRACAA website that talks about the charcoal trade and its environmental consequences. When efforts are focus on positive endeavours, only good can come of it, however when they decide to focus on political issues such as Somaliland's independance they waste ressources that could be used elsewhere. the ISRACAA group doesn't seem nearly as obsessed as some other groups I have previously encountered, they seem to call for open dialogue on the issue and they put forth their own arguments on unity in a logical and straightforward manner and to my eyes that is respectable. Let's focus again on the utility of these groups and in particular SOPRI advocacy in the US for recognition. I feel these types of groups are needed simply to counter other groups the likes of the former TNG that go around spreading lies and propaganda claiming they represent the interest of all somalis when they barely control 2 city blocks in Mogadisho.