Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Clear run for Djibouti's leader : opposition candidate withdraws.

Clear run for Djibouti's leader

_39670429_gelleh.jpg

President Guelleh has been in power since 1999

The only opposition candidate has withdrawn from Djibouti's presidential elections scheduled for next month.

Mohamed Daoud Chehem told the BBC he took the decision because he had not raised enough funds for his campaign.

Opposition parties have been calling for a boycott because, they say, they expect widespread vote-rigging.

Although President Ismail Omar Guelleh is now the only candidate, the elections would be held as scheduled on 8 April, the interior minister said.

The opposition denounced the 2003 parliamentary elections in which the government coalition won all 65 seats.

Last month, the US criticised Djibouti's human rights record as "poor".

"The government limited citizens' rights to change their government," it said.

Mr Guelleh has ruled Djibouti since winning elections in 1999.

LANDER   

That was expected, no suprises. Rather unfortunate for those who thought things were going to change in Djibouti.

Emperor   

Djibouti is doing well. Despite the political quagmire and lack of proper democracy they are not worse than most African countries, merely good example of Africa. But hey I don't see anything wrong with that, He should keep his postion so long there is peace and the standard life is OK.

As Somali looking at my situation, I have nothing to be dissappointed with my fellow Somalis in djibout but a lot to be proad of.

Hope they keep up the good work!

Ghelle is a character, though. He runs a country where you can ride a bike from one corner to the other corner, yet, he somehow imagines leading a powerful Horn of African nation. Just because he can tease the Ethiopians with his ever-important French-built seaport. Not bad, not bad at all!