Sign in to follow this  
Nacaska

Siadists, Sool and Burco conference

Nacaska   

Siadists, Sool and Burco conference

I would like to thank Awdalnews for allowing a much-needed debate among Eastern Somalilanders of different political affiliations. It is a grim reminder of our dead-end political situation when this discussion cannot take place inside our local media since Sool regional websites, along with our Garaad, have simply become a mouth-piece for the Puntland leader of the day. In the case of our media, constant bullying and several arrests made them so servile that they are the only ones painstakingly reporting the most uneventful of Puntland cabinet gatherings.

Now coming back to the NSPU ramblings, Mohsin contends that "Abdalla Hirad and the director of NSPU are from SSC regions as are other members of the team. They also belong to Puntland since SSC is part of it. This link may have escaped Mohamed mind". Without spreading the beans on the among cited gentlemen tribal lineages, I can assure the author that I know firsthand (I spent almost two decades in small town Ottawa) that none of NSPU members sub clan falls within Somaliland borders. But therein, I believe, lies the disagreement between me and Mohsin: Puntland is a tribal entity and therefore believes that it encompasses each parcel inhabited by one of its sub clan. The majority of NSPU members hail from Bosaaso and the western part of Bari region, but having tribal lineage with some Somaliland sub clans does not give them the right to define their team as a grassroot Sool and Sanaag movement. By this process of pushing out boundaries as widely as possible, NSPU might as well pose as Ethiopian Somali advocacy group; but don't laugh this might happen since oil smell in ****** could well entice them irresistibly.

On the Burao conference matter, there has been a great deal written by Siadists and here is the basic charade going on in their mind: after ******ia fall, the most respected elders from each Somaliland clans were peacefully convening when a horde of trigger-happy SNM militiamen forced them at gun point to declare Somaliland separation.

Of course, this ludicrous historical account have been time and again rebuked by direct testimony from participants, but the entanglement began with a couple of high powered Siadist household asserting it on every media, of course without producing one single evidence, fieldwork or witness. Throw enough mud, they say, and part of it should probably stick.

As you could expect from a faithful Siadist, Mohsin borrows from the same manta when he calls the Burao conference "hijacked by extremist SNM hotbeds" but he adds with rare candor that "the participants from SSC were disowned and the secession declaration rejected out of hand". Here is something I fail to understand: how can you disown someone based on decisions he was forced to make when he was held at gunpoint? Shouldn't you feel compassion and empathy for him instead? And why SSC elders did not denounce this plot when they were safely back in their homeland? Why did not they flee to Puntland and took to the airwaves?

As a Somalilander, I feel amazed to hear this loosely accurate folk story but as a Lascanooder, I feel insulted at the suggestion that my nine Garaads and statesmen like Qaybe, Galaydh, Afqudhac could have been held at gunpoint during Burao conference and kept silent about it. How can some fellow Lascanooders sell themselves short by attributing?How could they attribute to our elders such unflattering and baseless behaviors? Why do they promote these lies?No one could bully the late Garaad Abdi Qani to sign, at gunpoint, unwarranted deal subsequently get away with.

Despite all the huffing, duffing and rumblings, Mohsin's self-serving window dressing diguised as political analysis can be tested out to naive foreigners but cannot convince a Lascanooder like me. Indeed, contrary to Mohsion's contention that "SSC never joined the secession", the historical facts point otherwise: my region was fully represented with all its nine Garaads, senior statesmen like early SNM member Afqudhacac (Puntland current VP), Xaabsade, Galaydh, Qaybe... I understand that when you are trying to gain visibility one way is to shock people with outrageous claim, and NSPU is exactly doing this, but the circus has to stop.

Mohamed Sougal

mohamedsougal@yahoo.com

http://www.soolsomaliland.blogspot.com/

The facts that NSPU want you to know and the secessionist abhor

By Mohsin Mahad

August 23, 2007

In an article in Awdalnews few days ago entitled “the facts that NSPU do not want you to know.” the writer Mohamed Sugal had tried to destroy the credibility and image of the Northern Somalis for Peace and Union (NSPU). All he did in the process was to shoot himself in the foot and discredit himself. Having closely looked at his article, I could not find any substantive arguments or facts that would support his contrived allegations.

In trying to tarnish the integrity and identity of NSPU as an organisation representing Northern Somalis for the pursuit of peace and unity, Mohamed Sugal says:

“…while ostensibly talking in the name of Sool, Sanaag and Cayn inhabitants, NSPU fails to disclose the fact that none (my emphasis) of its members hails from this region [and] that, along with Abdallah Hirad, the NSPU director and all its agit-prop team are Puntlanders without any relevant knowledge of Sool and Sanaag.”

How can anybody could utter such crap and still expect to be taken seriously? Needless to say, Abdalla Hirad and the director of NSPU are from SSC regions as are other members of the team. They also belong to Puntland since SSC is part of it. This link may have escaped Mohamed mind.

All the same, I am still puzzled as to why Mohamed should commit this bizarre blunder. If it is the case that he is ignorant of the clan and regions of the NSPU team, which is unlikely, why then go public on the Internet and make these ridiculous assertions challenging the true identity of the NSPU members? The least he should have done was to do his elementary homework before embarking on his article and assure himself of these gentlemen’s clan and region of origin. A second explanation - perhaps one lending itself to conspiracy theory - is that he has been totally misinformed and that he made these assertions in good faith. But why should anyone conspire to misinform him, and why should he willingly and unquestioningly swallow false information unless he is naïve and gullible?

There is no puzzle and the explanation is much simpler: Mohamed is aware of the facts regarding the true identity of the members of NSPU team and all they stand for, but he is possessed by a common, pathologically twisted secessionist mindset: that is denial of unfavourable facts and its replacement with baseless lies in defence of the secession of Somaliland.

It is the separatists who propagated the big lie throughout the world that the Burco conference of 1991 was a forum where the decision for the breakaway of the North West region from Somalia and the proclamation of the revival of former Somaliland as an independent state were freely endorsed by the participants on behalf of their respective regions and clans.

No one in his right mind will deny the fact that the Burco meeting was convened for no other purpose other than to foster reconciliation among the clans in the regions whose relations had dangerously soured during the bitter years of Siyad Barre’s rule. If there was any other goal, it was perhaps to evolve a common Northern strategy in the reconstitution of a Somali government after the collapse of the government of Siyad Barre.

Sadly, the Burco meeting was not allowed to pursue any of its declared objectives. Instead, it was hijacked by extremist SNM hotheads who forced secession on the participants at gun point. Any secession endorsement secured under such duress is not worth the paper it is written on; certainly not from the perspectives of the SSC regions, though the secessionist logic would argue otherwise.

But even if we grant, for the sake of argument, that the participants agreed to the secession, freely and without undue pressure, that in itself would not accord it any legitimacy and make it binding on the people of SSC. This is firstly because those who attended the meeting were self-appointed individuals who were there only in their personal capacities and had no prior mandate from their people. If it was to have validity, it should have been endorsed on their return by their people at the necessary levels. This never happened as the participants from SSC were disowned and the secession declaration rejected out of hand by the SSC people. Instead, their response was to join Puntland. Compare this with what happened in the secessionist heartland where a referendum was held in 2001 endorsing the Burco declaration.

In the face of the reality, the secessionists still maintain the same lies that all the clans and regions of what they call Somaliland support the secession when everyone else, in particular the rest of the Somali people and international community, are fully aware that the SSC regions have never joined the secession but in remain part and parcel of Somalia and are presently part of the Puntland regional administration.

These are the facts the NSPU want us to know in defence of Somali unity and the secessionists would like to deny or falsify them in support of their secessionist cause.

Mohsin Mahad

Email:

Nacaska   

I am kinda surprised that this bizarre story of people held at gundpoint could live even if there is no evidence or testimony supporting it

Malika   

Am sure his nick will prevail all assumptions,his reign of hate shall continue,this dude posts also in other sites and in a most distasteful way too..dont be fooled by his nick!

AYOUB   

As a Somalilander, I feel amazed to hear this loosely accurate folk story but as a Lascanooder,
I feel insulted at the suggestion that my nine Garaads and statesmen like Qaybe, Galaydh, Afqudhac could have been held at gunpoint during Burao conference and kept silent about it.
How can some fellow Lascanooders sell themselves short by attributing?How could they attribute to our elders such unflattering and baseless behaviors? Why do they promote these lies?No one could bully the late Garaad Abdi Qani to sign, at gunpoint, unwarranted deal subsequently get away with.

Deeply insulting.

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

But even if we grant, for the sake of argument, that
the participants agreed to the secession, freely and without undue pressure,
that in itself would not accord it any legitimacy and make it binding on the people of SSC.

Shocking admission !!!

The Facts That NSPU do not Want You to Know

Along with number of Somalilanders, I have been deeply troubled by the recent report of Awdalnews on all the fake argumentation used by NSPU during their high energy anti Somaliland campaign. Of course, every Somalilander is free to favor Somaliweyn and every Somali has a right to lament that Somaliland people had chosen to restore their independence. Having said that, civil discourse, transpartent debate and intelligent argumentation ought to prevail, what approach NSPU is unwilling to grasp.

First of all, while ostensibly talking in the name of Sool, Sanaag and Cayn inhabitants, NSPU fails to disclose the fact that none of its members hails from these regions. As a matter of fact, along with longtime Somaliland critic Abdallah Hirad, NSPU director and all its agit-prop team are Puntlandlers without any relevant knowledge of Sool and Sanaag. Therefore, NSPU extensive report on the political mood in Sool and Sanaag are like supermarkets tabloids titles: over promising but short on content.

As a matter of fact, none of the knee-jerk criticism of NSPU is supported by evidence or diligent interpretation. Instead, the authors chose to draw from the usual Siadist mythologies, often simply condensing the tired rhetoric coined by famous anti Somaliland propagandist. For example, what is the merit of claiming that elders were forced into voting for Somaliland independence when first hand witness overwhelmingly testify to the contrary. Prime minister Galaydh, a delegate during the conference, flatly rejected any coercision while doubting the merits of the separation.

If concern for an accurate analysis was not minimal, NSPU would have learn that Eastern Sanaag delegates were the most adamant to vote for separation for a variety of reasons, mainly pertaining to the mayhem in Mudug region. They would have also learned that SNM leadership was way cooler towards separation that the masses on the street, just remember the famous blue print coined by Ahmed Siraanyo. To young and gullible audience, you could purge and politicize historical facts and present Eastern Somalilanders as adamantely opposed to separation, but I personnaly witness a conference in Badhan in 1991 during which 11 out of 23 delegates (including Jibriil Ali Salaad, Makhtir new leader) voted for secession, days before Burao conference. So much for the SNM coercing elders.

Another popular urban legend promoted by NSPU argues that Somaliland has never been recognized as a State during its 4 days stint as an independent country (26 June/01 July 1960). Nothing could be farther from the truth since a quick search through the UN archives indicate that almost three dozens states welcomed the new nation.

More importantly, besides these historical discrepancies, there are relevant facts that NSPU extremist do not want you to know. They can claim day in and day out that Sool and Sanaag are administratively an integral part of Puntland, but invariably points invariably otherwise. All Eastern Sanaag NGO are based in Hargeisa and while Lascanood health, sport and school infrastructure are supposed to be funded through Garowe, Somaliland proudly undertakes the training and remuneration of all Sool teachers. And when Sool players brilliantly make their way through Somaliland games, I am confident that, despite the problems and frictions my Somaliland includes Lascanood.

Mohamed Sougal

me   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

Nacaska
:D
, your nick is so cute, but if I were you I'd get a macho one to survive in this joint.

Yea put fear into him :D GRRRR.

lol@ist/ism MMA.

me   

Jacaylbaro don't get me started sxb, me and the secessionists are having a cease-fire.

ps. The NSPU has destroyed the secessionist myths. It doesn't matter what clan some of its members belong to, the NSPU are a Somali umberella group and therefore doesn't need to limit itself to perticular clans. It is the duty of all Somali's to protect the unity and territorial integrity of our country.

Only someone with a clannist mind set would argue that because some members of the NSPU are from a clan that doesn't reside in SSC they don't have the right to voice their disagreementt with the issue of secession. So get back to the drawing board saaxiibayaal.

pss. These secessionists remind me of the Roadrunner..........miep miep :D

the NSPU are just a myth sxb .... qalfoof ma maqashay ,, they just like that. They represent no one and no one chose them to speak on behalf of them.

We elected one admin which is the ruling one ,, we will change them if we want during the coming elections IA ...... that is the only body that can officially speak on behalf of the Somaliland people.

No one listens to those NSPU ,, they are just some loosers with a computer and internet connection,,, hat is it.

me   

Ofcourse the SSC are no one and I am also a no one for listening to the NSPU.

Jacaylbaro we can achieve allot if you open your eyes to the reality on the ground.

Reality on the ground is the North is split on the issue of secession. People like you would love secession and people like me would resist secession by all means necessary. So sxb don't delude yourself, secession will not come and even if it comes it means war.