Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Fraud and Irregularities in the Somali peace talks

Fraud and Irregularities in the Somali National Reconciliation Conference at Mbegthi, NAIROBI by Alessandro Natta

Before organizing the Somali National Reconciliation Conference at Eldoret and Mbagathi, Nairobi, the IGAD Technical committee for Somalia, latter on, the Facilitation Committee and IPF (IGAD Partners Forum) have visited all Somali regions and major cities in the country distributing the delegates according to the existing administrations and entities whether armed or organized as movements. But later on, the Kenyan administrators within IGAD and some interested parties in the IPF attempted, or are now attempting to include new delegates and handpicked leaders into the conference who are not representing existing organizations or political entities.

They have also invented 'stragemma' or engineered tricks to seclude on what was first termed as 'retreat' and later as consultation meetings, a process which is aimed to marginalize the existing or the legally recognized leadership in the conference. This is illegal per se; and is contrary to the internationally accepted norms and rules of procedure. It is also aimed to annul all agreements previously signed by the Somali leaders in Eldoret on 15 October 2002. This seclusion was aimed at getting interpretation ambiguous and extravagant interpretation FLUENT BOTH IN WRITING AND SPEAKING (interpretatio pre distinata). The article 30 of the approved charter and some other articles of the same charter endorsed by the leaders and the document approved by the leaders which we hereby attach was fraudulently altered, probably because of an incentive not known to us.

The article 30 which was before agreed upon by the cross section of the leaders including the civil society and women leaders.

It reads as follows:

Article 30 - Proposed amendment.

30 (i) The parliament envisaged under article 28 above shall be selected by the sub clan political leaders as recognized by the Transitional National Government, existing regional administration and faction leaders by the conference and must be endorsed by genuine sub-clan traditional leaders.

(ii) Any vacancy that arises after coming into force of this charter be filled through the same procedure as stated in 30 (i) above.

Such agreement was altered after the leaders signed and is as follows:-

30. (i) The parliament envisaged under article 20 above shall be selected by the sub sub sub clan Somali political leaders invited to the consultation meetings in Nairobi as from 9 January 2004 comprising:

Transitional National Government (TNG II of Abdikasim), National Salvation Council (NSC), Group 8 (G8) Political Alliance and Civil Society and must be endorsed by genuine traditional elders.

30 (ii) Any vacancy that arises after the coming into force of this charter shall be filled through the same procedure as stated above.

The Kenyan team of IGAD came ahead with 39 leaders which does not conform to the existing procedural rules in the conference and who have no respective political, military or civic organizations. Therefore unlawful and is an obstacle to the success of the reconciliation process. In the altered document, there is a clause that sanctions that the agreement should be taken to the plenary of the conference for approval and final endorsement and the Kenyan staff in IGAD administration are proposing the selection of the MPs without passing through the legal procedure of the plenary.

The rules of procedure signed in Eldoret cannot be erased or abolished by secret meetings and some foreign benefactors to overrun the rules. It is necessary to do away with them wholly or annul or repeal the laws and procedures. To abrogate or dispense with other rules or enacting new rules and procedures. The document says also, that Transitional National Assembly should pass this agreement; but anyone who has a minimum knowledge on matters of law and politics knows that the power of legislation or ratification resides in parliament since its term has not expired and everyone knows that from 12 August 2003 the term of office of TNG in Somalia has expired.

If this reconciliation conference fails, and it will if major discrepencies are not addressed, the responsibility will fall on Kenya and the host country's shoulders. Sadly, as a result of this fraudulent scheme, the foreign minister of Kenya, Hon. Kalonzo Musyoka, has on 4 February 2004 threatened the Somali leaders who are signatories to the peace process not to express their rightful views of his last minute scheme of January 29 2004.

Gabbal   

Buu Baah.Bood Bood. Buu quuq.

Oh Allah, the frustration one feels. Samurai you have more then made your position ina adeer. Whatever Abdulahi Yusuf supports you support, what ever Abdulahi Yusuf declines, you decline :rolleyes:

The peace process has been in more deeper shambles then it's current stage, yet you have been the foremost supporter, the number cheerleader. Now you are calling it a fraud.

Why? One would ask. Is it because Abdulahi Yusuf sat through all the trouble, expecting to be the only candidate there when the voting started; and now when most of the warlords/strongmen of Somalia came on board, he feels his odds og getting the "Kursi" are greater then before?

The truth of the matter is 14 years has gone by. Over a decade of lost oppurtunities, of having a generation without any education, and a total collapse of our system, our whole way of life.

How dare some dying old man (and not only you know who) block our peace and prosperity, and then expect to be rewarded for those crude actions. Abdulahi Yusuf and his warlord friends at the peace process better thank god I'm not a millionaire. Otherwise they would've all seen their graves a loooong time ago.

And you Samurai. First your little facade is past gone. There won't be another time when you use us true Somali nationalists at the expense of reer Waqoyi folks. I want to tell you're at liberty to post whatever you. Thats called freedom and having liberty. Something Beer-Laawe, whom you constantly support, is in dire need of being taught.

Horofafrique

I must agree with you that samuwarior is deeply rooted with the mentallity of C/lahi Yusuf, without considering any other alternative,C/lahi Yusuf is just another war lord, who has history of aggression,corruption,deception,selfishness and committing crime against humanity, the end of his rule in that part of the country should give a crucial rise to Free Somalia.

For the Vast majority of every somali citizen who wish to live free, his departure from our political system will further give assurance for peace. C/lahi Yusuf is a selfish man who is addicted for racing for a power, and dominating the lives of so many somali citizens.

The End of c/lahi Yusuf's political agenda will close the dark chapter we have in our history, and a dark and painful era will be over, A hopeful days will arive, and all somalis' will come together and reject violence and build new Somalia, because every somali citizen has goal of sovereignty for our country,dignity for our culture, and for every somali citizen, the opportunity for a better life.

Horn –I am as always supportive of peace talks warts and all, thus need not defend my position. Now, with the phobia and paranoia aside, do you wish to play another hand as I am in a generous mood to throw you a life line? Or is that all you had to offer dear boy?

Gabbal   

thus need not defend my position

It's good to see you have nothing to defend. It seems as though you're turning a new leaf in the page? I still have hope for you my boy. :D

BN   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Abdulahi Yusuf and his warlord friends at the peace process better thank god I'm not a millionaire. Otherwise they would've all seen their graves a loooong time ago.

What would you do exactly? A mouse and keyboard wont get you too far :D Or did you plan on hiring assasins with your 'millions' :D:D:D

There won't be another time when you use
us true Somali nationalists...

Ilaahey ka cabso. How arrogant and pompous somalis have become.

Thats called freedom and having liberty. Something Beer-Laawe, whom you constantly support, is in dire need of being taught.

As apposed to the TNG, Riyaalow, JVA, and all the warlords? Convient that you didnt mention them(although I'll try not to read too much into them) ;):D

BN

Liqaye   

Brother horn afrique i see that we have come full circle.

Now perhaps you can see why i consider this whole comedy of idiocy called puntland and the campaign to propogate a "kinder gentler image" of beer-hindi as irrelevant to scincere somali poltical discourse.

Anyhoo the confrence will fail, with or with out abdullahi yusuf or his comedic minions protestations other wise.

The peace process has been in more deeper shambles then it's current stage, yet you have been the foremost supporter, the number cheerleader. Now you are calling it a fraud

A question that i dare any of this jokers to answer

And you Samurai. First your little facade is past gone. There won't be another time when you use us true Somali nationalists at the expense of reer Waqoyi folks

I would call it pathetic, but then i fear it will be worn as a badge of honour.

Like i said a mutual conclusion has been drawn.