Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Breakaway region Somaliland and the views of Rakiya Omar

Taleexi   

Mr. Caamir, the sad think is that people with preset minds will only see what they would like to see in any point given. let me derive a point from Mr. Castro's remarks, the things that northerners have no control , and should not worry about are that we are people of a same origin, language, heritage, faith and zetra. It is quite bizzare that such an educated person like Marwo Omar would utter such short-sighted comments.

Castro   

The 'anthropological' differences do exist. I've just never come across any convincing evidence of it. It's mostly anecdotal evidence and stereotypes that may be (probably are) rooted in bigotry. I'm also disappointed that Ms. Omaar would say such a thing. I guess no one is perfect.

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

I have to admit that Raqiya Cumar works really hard on whatever she is doing but I think she oughta spend more time thinking about her life after death rather than spending all her energy and womanly life into crazy Somali politics. Allah didn't created her to be getting involved into politics, she was created for different purposes. She needs to respect herself and cover her self up and stay home and raise a family. No need for her to run day and night for useless cause and worldly manners.

In her other comments about Somali not having same background, culture, or colonial occupation . I mean it's obvious that Somalis were colonized by two different European powers, but how can she make such comments that Somalis aren't same people when she doesn't have any facts to back that up. I require more information and more facts to believe that. The fact that Somalis have same ethnic background, language, culture, color, and religion has existed for many years, so anyone who claims that Somalis aren't same people is just insane.

Moreover, for all of you who believe in her nonsense has to come up a reason why they believe what she said. A seccesion state is its own little topic but the idea that Somalis having different ethnic backgrounds has nothing to do with each other is just plain arrogance.

In addition, Somalis are suffering as a result of the political turmoil created by Siyad Barre, therefore it's not right to point the finger at a specific region, because each region of the former Somali republic has suffered and is still suffering as result of the turmoil left behind by the Barre regime. That yet doesn't give anybody the right to claim that Somalis arent' same people with same ethnic backgrounds simply because of the civil wars we had encountered that divieded us apart.

Assalamu Calaykum.

Gabbal   

^Sxb whatever the woman chose in her life is between her and the lord (swt). I do not believe it is in your position to judge people, and as a god-fearing person, you should be aware of the sovereignty of Allah (swt) and his right to judge. In this dunya, she chose a respectable field, because as a human rights activist she will surely get points for doing what she can to help the disadvantaged!

As for the recently highlighted piece; cultural differences do exist amongst Somali people in general whether or nor they were colonized by Britain or Italy. Sure it is within our right to say they are minuscule compared to other natons or not as divisive, but they do exist and rather we should embrace the differences instead of hushing them up.

Breakaway republic

A compound with several unassuming one-story, yellow-brick buildings is the seat of government, where
Foreign Minister Edna Adnan Isma'il explains that in the 1960s
the former British protectorate teamed up with the newly independent Italian colony of Somalia in a united republic.

"This particular union did not work, because there were two people with totally different backgrounds: colonial backgrounds, cultural differences, even language differences. Now the union that came about out of good will caused a lot of problems and hardships and created a situation that went into a civil war. The government of Somalia, under the dictatorship of Siad Barre, took actions that were totally against civil rights: they filled mass graves with innocent victims, bombed civilian towns, flattened Hargeisa. What you see today has been rebuilt by the people of Somaliland themselves."

Correct me if am off the mark here;but you should read the quote again,esp the part I bolded. Its either you can not read or I cant. As I understood it,the reporter quoted Mrs Edna and her views on SLs case for breaking away[Eh,No kidding ey?]

I would like someone else to read the quote & perhaps shed light on it.

NASSIR   

Mcpharax, thanks for the highlight. I apologize Rakiya Omar. I didn't heed to that statement as Edna's Own statement. Is she quadroon?

You can listen to her interview as of Dec 8, 2005

Rakiya-Omar.jpg

LINK

How can a concentration of one tribe think about having a portion of Somalia as their own country? If they do that, I will declare my tribe's land as another country.

:D

[ December 15, 2005, 06:05: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]

Sxb, Hargeysa ma go'i karto. We are talking about bring back the three portions under the black colonial adminstrations, i.e. Soomaali Galbeed, NFD iyo Djabouti. I believe in the unity of our people is much greater than the ambitions of few reckless warlords in various parts of Somalia. Ibrahim Cigal, alaha u naxariisto haduuba afkeyga naxariis ku helayo, and his likes had contributed 'I-people' nothing but the divisive politics that has dragged our people's desires for a long time now, Somaliweyn.

I understand the whole concept for further dividing somalia is deriving from Ethiopia, who wants to dominate and control somalia in mouthful portions and segments. We will never let that happen, and I mean 'we' all the Somalis who have a sense or droplets of Soomaalinimo in their blood. If you talk about dividing Somalia, you are no less than the enemy who threatens us everyday with the deployments of HIV-striken contingents to Somalia under the pretext of disarming militias. Well, am saying to you, you are out of your mind!

NASSIR   

AlleUbaahne, allow u naxariiso Cigaal. He was a statesman before he became the governor of Somaliland region. I have the same ideaology as you professed it with sobriety and clarity.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Yeniceri:

[Also, can you elaborate on the "cultural differences" that we should realize upon doing minimal anthropological work? [/QB]

I don't think Lander can elaborate this question? I hope to see him answer it in a meaningul way.