Sign in to follow this  
me

Secessionist claim Siad Barre was better then current admin.

me   

Tensions high in Somaliland capital following violent riots

28 Apr 28, 2008 - 1:27:24 PM

HARGEISA, Somalia Apr 28 (Garowe Online) - Police forces in the capital of Somalia’s separatist state of Somaliland clashed with hundreds of angry rioters on Sunday, prompting opposition parties to condemn the government for using “excessive force” against civilians.

In a joint press communiqué, Somaliland opposition parties Kulmiye and UCID condemned the breakaway region’s government for the “ugly and excessive use of force against civilians,” adding that the episode showed the residents of Hargeisa that the “current government is more merciless than that of [former Somali President] Siad Barre.”

The harsh criticism from the opposition parties was issued a day after Hargeisa police opened gunfire on rioters, who were reportedly burning tires and throwing stones at officers.

At least two civilians were confirmed dead and more than 10 police officers wounded, sources told Garowe Online.

Local newspapers reported that the protestors initially began their demonstration in opposition to the Hargeisa city council’s decision to add three new districts to the Somaliland capital and rename one district in the southern quarter of the city.

But as more protestors joined the demonstration, rioting began and protestors expressed their dissatisfaction with a range of issues, from President Dahir Riyale’s controversial one-year term extension to the sky-high prices for food and gas.

The rioters were eventually convinced to return to their homes after Air Transport Minister Ali Waranadde read aloud an official document signed by Interior Minister Abdullahi “Irro” Ismail.

According to the Interior Minister’s letter, the Hargeisa city council’s decision to create three new districts was “illegal,” citing that the Interior Ministry was not informed before the decision was taken.

But growing dissatisfaction with the Riyale administration is not limited to the public.

On Monday, Hargeisa-based independent newspaper Jamhuuriya reported that lawmakers in the Somaliland parliament’s upper chamber, the House of Guurti, had “threatened each other with pistols.”

A group of dissident House of Guurti legislators wanted to introduce a motion rescinding President Riyale’s one-year term extension, which was overwhelmingly approved by the House of Guurti earlier this month. [ READ: Somaliland Leader Gets Controversial Term Extension]

But the acting chairman of the Guurti, Sheikh Ahmed Sheikh Nuh, told the dissident lawmakers that the motion will first have to be studied and approved by the House’s legal counsel before being debated on the parliament floor.

His comment immediately sparked anger inside the parliament and eventually led to legislators throwing fists at each other.

Outside parliament, legislators continued to exchange heated words regarding President Riyale’s term extension, a development that has generated public anger and condemnation from the opposition parties.

One dissident legislator, MP Awil Hussein Ahmed, told Jamhuuriya that Second Deputy Speaker Said Jama Ali pulled a gun on him while at a hotel.

“The parliament leaders are acting in such a way today that they pull a gun out on anyone who speaks [his mind],” MP Awil told Jamhuuriya.

Somaliland, composed of Somalia's northwestern regions, unilaterally declared independence from the rest of the country in 1991 after a decade of armed struggle against the government of Somali dictator Siad Barre.

No country has recognized Somaliland as an independent state, although the separatist republic has its own government, currency, flag and security forces.

Source: Garowe Online

me   

banaanbaxxaafad1.JPG

SDWO (Hargeisa 27/04/08) Banaanbax balaadhan oo rabshado watay ayaa saaka ka dhacay magaalada Hargeysa, Banaanbaxan ayaa waxa wararku xaqiijinayaan inay ku dhinteen laba qof oo dhalinyaradii mudahaardaysay ka dib markii ciidanka boolisku toogteen. Wararku wax ay intaas ku darayaan inay jiraan dhawr qof oo kale oo iyagan dhaawac xabadeed soo gaadheen. iyadoo la sheegayo in askarta laga itaal roonaaday oo qaarkood inta qoryahii laga qaaday la karbaashay, arintan oo sababtay in ciidanka booliska iyo meletirga si xawli ah loo soo geliyo goobaha kala duwan ee magaalada Hargeysa. Waxa aad u adkayd sida ay weriyayaashu uga soo waramikaraan wax dhabta ah ee goobta ka socda iyadoo halkaas xabsiga loo taxaabay weriyahii ka socday TV ga madaxbanaan oo halkaas warbixin ka duubayey.

Banaanbaxxaafad2.JPG

banaanbaxxaafad3.JPG

Dadkan ayaa waxa ay ka mudaharaadayeen degmooyin cusub oo lagu soo kordhiyey 5ta degmo ee ay Hargeysi uga koobnayd, banaanbaxan oo ka dhacay degmada Axmed Dhagax ee dhinaca dunbuluq ee magaalada Hargeysa oo sida la sheegay degmo cusub laga sameeyay halkaas xaafad hore loo odhanjiray Cabdi Iidan oo hada degmo laga dhigay magac cusubna loo bixiyey degmada Sheekh Cumar Yusuf, arintan oo ka xanaajisay dadkii deegaankaas degaanaa ayaa saaka banaanbax ku waabariistey.

Rasaasta ay ciidanka boolisku ridayeen si ay u kala kaxeeyaan dadkii mudaharaadayey ayaa laga maqlayey magaalada inteed badan. Xubno ka tirsan golaha deegaanka Hargeysa ayaa canbaareeyay rasaasta lagala hortegay dadkii mudaharaadayey. Wasiirka Arimaha gudaha ayaa maanta shaaca ka qaaday in dhamaan la laalay go,aankii ay golaha deegaanka Hargeysi sedexda degmo ku magaacabeen isagoo sheegay inay markii horeba sharcidaro ahayd sidii loo magacaabay, waxaanu yidhi waxa degmooyinka magacaabikara golaha wasiirada ee golaha deegaanku awood uma laha inay degmooyin cusub magacaabaan.

source

me   

The point is they claim that their reason for secession is mistreatment by the Siad Barre regime and now they are saying, well Siad Barre wasn't that bad afterall.

no screaming an my part JB. But i hear that Kulmiye and UDUB are going on war because Reyaale extended his term, i can only hope reyaale and UDUB wins. whats the news in H-town?

Nothing much , it is called political tig-tags and words are thrown from here to there. Anyone wins it is for SL ,,,,,,,, same objective different ppl.

i hear saleban Gaal has something against Silaanyo and swears that Sillanyo will get the presidentcy over his dead body. that Saleban gaal and Reyaale have a comman enemy in Silaanyo but that Silaanyo has gathered all the Sland clans under his Umbrella and that guarantees a war?

Emperor   

The slight contrast here in which many couldn't spot is that Said Barre was a government and what we have now in any Somali peninsula is not a government but a form of governance, you many say semi-semi-and-semi government...

Emperor   

^I have always been more close to the truth than any of Secessionist have been...

Now in my statement above I said the truth and nothing but the truth, I know it hurts you when it comes to SL, you call yourself an Independent nation when no government ever recognized you, the democratic republic of SL :D ... it's Riyaale will and money making machine...