Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

Dhahar: At Least 3 Fell Victim to Clan Rivalry in Northeastern Somalia

Xudeedi   

Dhahar (October 6): At least 3 people were killed in an inter-clan revenge attack in North Eastern Somalia, adding on to an increase of violence since Puntland began launching offensives in Western Bari towns.

Two people were killed on the spot and a third died being taken to hospital after gunmen stormed a crowded cafe early Wednesday in Haylaan regional capital, Dhahar, and unleashed a barrage of gunfire.

"I was inside my shop when I heard gunfire and saw people sprawled on the ground," cafe owner Farhia Hirsi told Somali Public Radio reporters dispatched to the scene.

The real motive behind the attack was not immediately clear, but residents said it involved long-standing animosity between the rival **** ********* sub clans.

The two groups have staged frequent attacks on each other in and around Bosaso, about 260 km Northeast of Dhahar, since Somalia collapsed into anarchy nearly 20 years ago.

But the region had been calm prior to latest offensives in Galgala, staging deadly battles between Puntland forces and Western Bari militias loyal to Maxamed Saciid Atam.

The ****** subclan of the ***** tribe largely inhabit Dhahar city and share clan affiliations with indigenous residents of Western Bari.

The leadership of the Puntland government is dominated by members of the ***** sub-clan, according to a recently published VOA article (Clan Rivalry Complicates Terrorism Fight in Puntland).

Somali observers have warned of such an overt attack (Galgala offensives) could reinvigorate long-held political and economic grievances the ********** have had against the Puntland government.

Source: dhahar.com

[ October 07, 2010, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]