Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Malaysian PM sends Christmas joy

By Jonathan Kent

BBC correspondent in Kuala Lumpur

The Malaysian Prime Minister, Abdullah Badawi, has become the first leader of his Muslim majority country to send an official Christmas card.

Some 1,500 leading members of Malaysia's large Christian community have received season's greetings from Mr Abdullah.

The prime minister's card shows Malaysians of different races and religions holding hands and dancing.

The card itself does not explicitly mention the Christmas holidays.

But it does extend festive wishes for peace, happiness, love and national unity to Christian preachers and their congregations around the country.

'Discrimination' claim

Abdullah Badawi, who became prime minister almost two months ago, is a respected Muslim scholar and has long made a point of promoting good relations among the country's various religious groups.

Malaysia is predominantly Muslim, but remains under secular rule

None of his four predecessors, who were all also Muslims, sent out official Christmas cards.

Last week Mr Abdullah reacted angrily to a US Government report which listed Malaysia among countries which discriminate on grounds of faith.

Ministers are considering lodging an official protest with Washington.

Although Malaysians enjoy freedom of worship, some opposition leaders say that the state discriminates economically in favour of Muslims and that non-Muslims are excluded from the highest political offices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought i would post this here as it has relevance for all of us, who work and study and are invited to join in the seasonal "Festivities"

My Q. is, is the price of promoting multi-faith relations to high? I ask this as am reminded by many brothers around this time of year to not join in what is effectly a pagan festival that tells a warped story of Issa Alay salam.