Sign in to follow this  
Nur

The Fracture of a Nation, Somalia's unseen deep fault lines.

Nur   

Nomads

Once again, we are back to square one, where we've started, back to clan politics, back to the mesozoic era, prehistoric creatures are re-appearing back again, as if they have not finished their decade old punishment of our people.

In this write up, my intention is first to explore and analyze the roots of the current problems facing the nation, our house is in ruin, our nation on the brink of dilution and division, and our people, a lost sheep wandering the globe without a purpose for existence.

So let us begin today this impromptu write up with an analogy of a mythical house of Somalis.

Architecture is the art of building, anarchy is the undoing of architecture, its the art of destruction, (an eNuri Satirical specialty).

Structural engineers take lots of time and pain to build structures, analyze different loading scenarios to make sure that the structure can endure unforeseen abuse by tenants, accidents, fire or even earth quake.

The more elaborate the engineer is in his design, the more enduring is the structure.

It all begins when the main stake owner of the project, the investor, submits his requirements to a consultant for a feasibility of such a project, once the project is deemed to be feasible, the architect interprets the parameters of the feasibility study of the owners requirement to a model that mimics reality, with a 3D animated walk-through rendering that gives the owner a vision of the complete picture of his vision, when all is done, the final picture he wants to see, the aesthetics, the interior and exterior design, the lighting, usability, access, amenities and so on.

Once the picture is clear to the owner, structural engineers begin to interpret the architectural drawing by designing structural design that can support such a building, here, quantity surveyors go to work with materials engineers and costing engineers to decide on the final cost/performance (quality) ratio of the materials that will go into the edifice.

At this point, and after acquiring a building permit and the legal issues are addressed, a Project Manager is mandated to conduct the orchestra and manage the three constraints of delivery time, quality and cost, a troop of workers are mobilized and the site preparations tasks begin.

At this stage, site selection is done using Geographical tools, risks mitigated, plausible outcomes weighed and controls set.

All the while, parallel tasks are commissioned, such as interior design, transportation access to the building, leisure usage, safety and security issues and evacuation plans for tenants in case of a natural unforeseen disaster.

The above chain of events are interdependent in a sequence at times, and are running parallel at other times, but at the end, all of them merge for a single purpose:

To Meet, the stake owner's vision, because if it does not collectively meet the owners vision, all of the above work, even if most of the requirements are done with the finest of touches, the limiting agent would be the collective synergy of the parts, and the work will be deemed to be in vain.

Allah SWS says in Holy Quraan : Are they the same, the one who built the foundation of his House on (a solid ground of) TAQWA, or the one who built his structure on the edge of a deep cliff , (just to fall off) down to hell.

Our national house was erected by colonialism, (Just like Christian believe that God created man in his image), The Colonialists carved and created the new nation in their image, known as Democracy designed to continue the remote rein of the colonialists. The Italians, British and the French, designed our current borders and the form of government was a compromise between colonial powers sharing the pie of Somalia, later Italy was awarded southern Somalia, France was awarded Djibouti and the British got the rest of the pie, so they declared the Northern part as Somaliland, the Hawd was given to Ethiopia as a reward and the Northern Frontier District was kept as part of Kenya which remained under Brithish Colonialism until the granting of phony Independence in 1964.

Why was Somalia divided as such:

1. Historical Intransigence of Somalis( The Mad Mullah Legacy, the First Liberation movement against the British Empire to be attacked by Royal Air force)

2. Strategic Location.

3. Dilution of Somalis to reduce their competitive attitude compared to neighboring Africans which threatens colonial plans in the region.

When Italy declared the granting of Independence to Somalia Italiana , The British fearful of an imminent merger between the British Somaliland and Somalia Italiana, tried to abort such union by granting Somaliland its independence on June 26, 1960, four days ahead of the July First, 1960 set for Somalia Italiana's independence.

Against all odds, the Northern Somaliland leadership understood the British plan and decided to wait out for four days to join their brethren in Somalia to form a unified Somalia in which the foundations for greater Somalia would be laid by two parts freely and the rest to be welcomed after they are granted their independence. However, The French made sure that Djibouti remains under their dominion for strategic purposes, and the Western Somalia, the largest region inhabited by Somalis which was annexed by Ethiopia, to remain as the poorest and least developed region in the Ethiopian Empire.

Once the two Somali nations united, and a Democracy was established the house began to show its cracks, internally in the form of Tribalism and externally in the form of enticing the nation to fight Ethiopia as a bait to disintegrate it and to recolonize it.

The Soviet Era Marxism played a role in the nationalist fervor which finally led to the 1977 War against Ethiopia and the final touch in the destruction of the Somali House!

From that point on, it was a matter of time before the country disintegrated, thanks to Abdullahi Yusuf's SSDF the SNM and the USC movements, all financed and equipped by Ethiopia.

Today, almost 20 years since the fall of the late Military Dictator Siad Barre Regime, Somalia remains a fractured nation, the only hope being their common faith as the only remaining bond which is unfortunately being fiercely targeted by the USA as its national Enemy, thus supporting and arming Ethiopia to kick every injured leg on which Somalis stand.

Today, after the great exodus of refugees and immigrants to the far corners of the globe, the fracture has even crystallized further like fractals, and no end is in sight for the patterns from repeating.

The main question that triggered this thread hence was:

Shouldn't we first agree on our identities first?

Shouldn't we then agree on the vision of the nation we want to build?

Shouldn't we then agree on a the process of building such a vision?

The first question defines the stakeholders.

The second question defines the common vision.

The third question defines the transition from current chaotic state to the realization of the common vision.

The platform is open for discussion and your opinion helps.

Nur

2007 eNuri Sowftwaano Series

We Attack Problems, Not People

is there a beta version of this to test it first!! i am good beta tester. wc, well, i hope everything is cool but i am at the end of day!! so i gotta crash. i do have a nasty week ahead of me! i am not to one to fret!! anything, a human brings to me can be resolved. i keep my door open.

nice analogy there! i am sure it will open many doors that have been locked away lately. peace.

Nur   

Nomads

I posted this thread three years ago, after the US Sponsored Ethiopian mercenary invasion of Somalia. I have yet to get your feedback on the issues I raised, unless of course, like many on these forum, you are keen on preserving your freedom of silence.

Nur

BiLaaL   

Sounds like it would be a fruitful discussion. I'm keen to respond but don't want to reply haphazardly on such important themes. I'll try to respond sometime soon. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind reading contributions from other SOLers.

Muriidi   

i believe one should not under-estimate the influence of the islamic cleric on world politics.

but first we have to agree on what the world looks like in 2010 .

it's like telling a child "of course mom and dad can buy you ice cream ,but first they have to see

if this icecream is healthy"

whatever this duniya-game is that everybody's playing,as long as it doesn't cross over into the islam-section (watch your language over there)

the rest is up to the individual and how much time he/she wants to spend with the game,or wheather he/she wants minimize time spent on duniya-gaming and steer his/her mind to the islam-section

The main question that triggered this thread hence was:

Shouldn't we first agree on our identities first?

Shouldn't we then agree on the vision of the nation we want to build?

Shouldn't we then agree on a the process of building such a vision?

The first question defines the stakeholders.

The second question defines the common vision.

The third question defines the transition from current chaotic state to the realization of the common vision.

not underestimating the influence of islamic ulama

let's take it slowly and step by step .. taking ito account the

-variability

-relativity

-interactivity

of human theories that explain the world

first question :

is it halal to call the earth a planet ?

what are the criteria so we can call the earth a planet ?

Muriidi   

tafsir Al-An'aam : 112

And thus We have made to every Prophet an enemy: Shayatin All-vicious (ones), i.e., devils) of humankind and jinn, revealing fanciful (Literally: decorated) speech to each other, (all) as delusion. And if your Lord had (so) decided, in no way would they have performed it. So leave them out to whatever they fabricate.

tafsir Al-an'aam :113

And (this is so) that the heart-sights of (the ones) who do not believe in the Hereafter may be readily attentive, and that they may be satisfied with it, and that they may score whatever they are scoring.

_________

* how can i avoid that ?

tafsir Al-Hujuraat : 2

O you who have believed, do not raise your voices above the Prophet's voice, and do not be loud in your speech to him, as you are loud to one another, (Literally: as some of you are loud to (some) others) (for fear) that your deeds would be frustrated, while you are not aware.

*what's a Prophet ?

tafsir Al-Ah'zaab : 6

The Prophet is more worthy of the believers than themselves , and his wives are [in the position of] their mothers. And those of [blood] relationship are more entitled [to inheritance] in the decree of Allah than the [other] believers and the emigrants, except that you may do to your close associates a kindness [through bequest]. That was in the Book inscribed.

tafsir Al-Naml : 12

And put your hand into your bosom, it will come forth white without hurt. (These are) among the nine signs (you will take) to Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his people, they are a people who are the Fasiqun (rebellious, disobedient to Allah)

* - a Prophet is closer to our souls than

ourselves

- there are places only a Prophet can go and

come out safely