Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Ijithad

Khalaf   

Ijithad? Exploring the History: past, present, future. Whatever happened to Ijithad in the Ummah? Its decline and how can it be revived?

ps: has this topic been discussed, haven't seen it since i joined the site.

Salaams and Happy New Year.

Khalaf   

lol@ Arab words. what up me? THis is a very important topic in Islam my brother and will prove to be very educational as it deals with our current state, deterition as an ummah, in particular the scholarship/fiqh of Islam. i have some ideas from my study but am afraid i can not convey the message as it should be and don't want to "misinform" or leave the viewers disatisfied. Since others are not par-taking in the discussion i will do my research further, double check with the imam and get back to this topic God-willing. If others have information/notes from classes, websites, comments, ect please add them Insha-Allah. Jazka-Allah Khair. salams

The door of Itjihad never closed but it is not an easy topic to discuss because some sect will never accept that especially exploring the History cause it will expose well known pesonalities in our religion. Please share with us your research. Maybe a background history of why they closed the door of Ijtihad would be usefull. Thank you

Nur   

Khalaf bro.

Ijtihad is a concept that never dies, as long as humans live on earth as Muslims, like everything else, it has classes:

1. Laymen, regular people

2. Students of knowledge

3. Scholars

In the first category, if you find yourself in a new city, country, you make Ijtihad on finding direction of Makkah for prayers. Foods that are Halaal etc.

In the second category, as student of knowledge ( Talib al cilm al sharci), when you exhaust the research resources available to you for a particular topic, you make Ijtihaad.

In the last category, scholars who attained maturity level known as MUJTAHID after mastering the key sciences of Islamic studies such as:

1. Arabic Language and related sciences ( Poetry, Naxw, Sarf, etc)

2. Quraan sciences ( naasikh, mansookh, etc)

3. Hadeeth Sciences ( Biographies, sanad,etc)

4. Usul al Fiqh ( also maqaasidul Sharia)

The scholar makes ijtihaad when a problem arises with no precedents in Quraan, Hadeeth, Qiyaas, Ijmaac, and so, he makes best judgment in issuing an edict based on Ijtihad.

The golden days of Ijtihad was in the first 5 centuries, afterwards, decadence in all walks of life shrank the pool of qualified scholars to make Islamic sciences stagnant unable to address new questions of the time.

Today, there is a new rennaisance sweeping the Muslim world, and thus, many PhD thesis have been written by able scholars addressing timely issues. One such topic is addressed by a PhD Book I am reading discussing payment of a loan on a different currency than the one borrowed with. I can tell you, its very interesting.

Nur