Sign in to follow this  
BOB

Who Do You Think Is Africa's Best Player Of All Time?

BOB   

I know some of you would say Roger Milla of Cameroon while some might say George Weah of Liberia as he is the first and the only African player thus far to have been chosen as Fifa World Player & European Player back in 95 but my vote goes to none other than the left footed magician, the ball wizard with a ponytail.

the first and the only player to have been African Player Of The Year in three consecutive years, the player that the Great Maradona called "A True Number 10" and Pele called him "He's the left footed Pele"!

Ladies & Gentlemen, I am talking about Abedi Ayew "Pele" of Ghana.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

NGONGE,

Sorry to disagree with you Sxb but in your eyes Jay Jay Okocha is better than Abedi Pele?

Did you ever ask yourself why he's never played for one of the big European clubs?

PSG paid Fenerbache a s!lly money to bring him over to Paris, however before the season was over they bought Ronaldinho from Gremio of Brazil and slowly but surely PSG fans even forgot about him as the team relied only the mercurial talents of the Goofy Genius and in the end he was asked to leave on a free transfer.

the point I am trying to stress here is that Jay Jay plays for himself and not for the team as he's more concerned with his own performance & tricks rather than the team's results which makes him a player only fit for a Circus Show.

Did you know that he's never even won the coveted African Player of The Year Award? What does that tell you about him Sxb?

Abedi Pele, let Marseille to Champs leagu victory over AC Milan in 93 when AC were at its best with Gullit,Van Basten and Rijkaard and Co and it was his assist that won the game for his team in a man of the match performance where he made fools out of the great Italian defenders of Baresi,Maldini and Costacurta.

Jean-Pierre Papin,the Marseille forward and former Golden Boot winner who later joined AC said "whenever Abedi Pele was playing I always expected to score because I knew he would create chances for me".

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE   

Aha! We’re talking better in terms of achievements here then?

I assumed you were talking about ability and skill, saaxib. In that case, I choose Kanu :D

N.O.R.F   

^^^ability skill and acheivements is whats defines a great player. Abede Pele had both whereas Jey Jey only had the skills.

Abede had an eye for an opening and threaded the ball through more often than not. Jay Jay is great to watch, but you only watch for a step over or a shimmy here and there.

Abede Pele was magnificent saxib, Ngonge you can deny that. I will always remeber a goal he scored in the 91 African Cup of nation, he was near the by-line and managed to bend it in using the outside of his foot fooling the defense and the goal keeper.

Roger Miller raised the profile of african football during his times at 90 and 94 world cups respectively. That goal he made for a team mate who then dinked the ball over peter shilton in Italia 90 quater final was nice.

But who is the best TODAY???

Kolo Toure

Drogba

Apiah

Jay Jay

El Haji Diouf

etc etc

NGONGE   

I’ve watched him in his prime, saaxib. I know that he was a great player (not denying that at all). However, for me, Jay Jay is the best African player I’ve seen with a ball at his feet. For raw, god given skill, nobody comes close to Jay Jay. However, if we’re talking achievements, what cups they won and the like I’ll have to concede that the two guys you mentioned are way ahead. Still, David Beckham and Steven Gerrard can be argued to be great players! I rate neither. :cool:

My vote goes to Roger Milla for most exciting African soccer player for he grabbed the imagination of the world. But I'd also like to extend my congrats to none other than the Haji himself - Haji Diouf of Senegal. Did wonders to bring attention to an erstwhile unknown soccer team.

Intel   

i'd say George Weah

BTW what was the name of that Ghanaian i think he was, played for Leeds in the mid 90s good player

had a deadly powerful right foot

Viking   

BOB,

Abedi Pele was a very good player. I remember how instrumental he was for Marseille, but don't forget that he had many talented players beside him. Players like Desailly, Voller, Angloma, Boli, Deschamps, Allen Boksic and even Barthez the clown! You know what all these players went on to achieve.

But I would rank Weah as the best and most talented African player. He did things with the ball that are usually done Brazilians. He was a wizard who terrified the best defenders in Italy every weekend.

If I were to rank the top five players in terms of talent and also to some degree their achievements, it'd be...

1. Weah (only African player to win World Player of the Year award; plus 2 time winner of African player of the year award).

2. Abedi Pele (3 time winner of the African Player of the year award).

3. Roger Miller ('90 African Player of the Year and also the man who introduced "dancing" goal celebrations to the world with his dancing at the corner post during world cup 1990).

4. Kalusha Bwalya ('88 African Player of the Year)

5. Thomas N'kono (2 time winner of African Player of the year award)

rokko,

I think it was Anthony Yeboah.

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^u mean the spitting african?

LOL Everyone spits man. The dude is a good player. I'm assuming you're referring to al-Haji.

BOB   

Ngonge,

Sxb, if Diego hadn't won the World Cup with Argentina do you think people would even remember him? Football is all about trophies Sxb that is what fans like us would remember for a player and not for a few predictable tricks that anybody can do...Jay Jay Okocha is a One Trick Wonder...The StepOver while Abedi Pele had bundles of tricks and oh yes Abedi Pele was far better freekick taker than Jay Jay will ever be..Shall I Go On? ;)

here is Abedi Pele's Story http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/people/person.php?ID=164

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

Originally posted by Viking:

BOB,

but don't forget that he had many talented players beside him. Players like Desailly, Voller, Angloma, Boli, Deschamps, Allen Boksic and even Barthez the clown! You know what all these players went on to achieve.

Viking Sxb, most of those players in that team were not even established players yet and I am referring to the likes of Didier Dechamps, Marcel Desailly and Allen Boksic, they all became super stars after they came to Italy, do you honestly want to say that Desailly or Dechamps were world class players before they came to AC and Juve respectively or Bocsic before he came to Juve?

Even if so, the talisman of that team was still Abedi Pele as he was the leader of the team on the pitch which says a lot about him as he was the one who used to dictate Marseille’s play and the one that forwards relied on.

Even George Weah had world class players all around him and when I say world class I am talking about established players all over the pitch from the goalie Rossi all the way to Dejan Savicevic, we are talking about the AC Milan that left the great Roberto Baggio on the bench.

Do you think Baggio would be out of place if he was playing the so-called "Galacticos" of Real Madrid today? That is how good AC Milan was back then so George Weah, in my opinion had more talented players around him than Abedi ever had.

by the way Viking,you chose George Weah before Abedi Pele and i was i wondering if it's because Weah played for your team Ac Milan? Just asking Sxb ;);) .

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

George Weah, in my opinion had more talented players around him than Abedi ever had.

Hmmm good point, with established world class players plying their trade in Seria A. Abede Pele was the king of kings man.