Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

A great idea somalis in Minnesota unite.

Liqaye   

Somalis will choose leadership council

- Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 21:03

Lourdes Medrano Leslie, Star Tribune

April 1, 2004SOMALI0401

The creation of an interim Somali Community Leadership Council that will tackle issues important to Somalis across Minnesota will be announced at 3 p.m. today at the State Capitol.

Fifteen Somalis from the Twin Cities area, Rochester, Owatonna, Willmar and Mankato will serve on the interim council until permanent representatives are elected, chairman Dahir Jibreel said Wednesday.

The council was selected after two months of consultations among various Somali groups, Jibreel said. The interim body must establish guidelines within 100 days by which the community will elect a permanent leadership council.

The idea for a group that would serve as a bridge between Somalis and mainstream agencies surfaced about two months ago.

Somali leaders also have alluded to conflicts that stem from clan rivalries rooted in their homeland in East Africa, which was wracked by civil war in the early 1990s. Somalis who claim membership in four major clans and several minority clans started coming to Minnesota early that decade.

Jabreel said the interim council will be key to getting individuals involved in the democratic process as they vote to elect their leadership.

"We will energize the whole Somali community to become politically active," Jabreel said.

The council plans to seek help from local government officials to administer the election, he said. "We want this process to be transparent," he said. "We want this group to be recognized as being legitimate both in and outside the Somali community."

Although city and county workers oversaw an election for a similar Somali group in Columbus, Ohio, in 2001, officials in Minnesota said Wednesday that it would be unusual for local governments to assist in such an election.

"It's not something that we're legally authorized to do," said Joe Manksy, elections manager for Ramsey County.

Susanne Griffin, director of elections and assistant city clerk in Minneapolis, said she would have to research the matter further to see if it might be possible to oversee the Somali election.

Hawa K. Ali, an interim council member, said she thinks that the council can greatly help Somalis in the areas of housing, jobs and transportation, and that it can serve as a strong advocate within the greater community.

"Until now, there has not been a unified voice for the common good," she said.

Lourdes Medrano Leslie is at lleslie@startribune.com

raula   

I hope the fruits of this comprehensive union will be a fruitful one and not lead to destruction and 'political chaos.' :D;) I should start rehearsing my resume then(in hopes of getting a job w/the group)-thx Liqaye icon_razz.gif

Sounds Good,

I believe quite a few of the Uk Nomads are involved with a similar type committee.

Many if not all minority groupings within most Developed countries have some representation within The political sysetm, and i think its always better to have a voice than not.

Hopefully this will go somewhere to helping the somali community there move up a step on the social lader

Sophist   

This is a much needed venture in England particularly in London. I hope the forthcoming Somali meeting in June would provide sucha leadership within our community. The Somali co-ordinating Committe of which Barwaaqo and I belong to are doing everything to remdey this problem of kaladaadsanaan.

Waxaan Rabi karajeynayaa in Soomaalida oo idili meel kasta oo ey joogaan (wadankeeniina dhahoo) iney midoobaan! War Aamiin iidhaha

Aamiin.

Sophist

Nabad iyo Caano

Liqaye   

Yep, i hope that this is a step in the right direction.

All i need to know is if there is anything similar in Australia, because our bro and sis' down under seem to be really unrepresented.

Mr Ceel Buur,

many thanks its good news indeed.

The Somali's in the UK have shown signs that they are going to follow their brethren over the Atlantic and unifying their fragmented community in order to develop their capabilities.

All somali's wherever they maybe must work together and overcome their differences and develop and engender confidnece in our youths.

Peace