Sign in to follow this  
Fresh2Death

Shariifka For PRESIDENT.

If this man was the captain of the sinking TFG ship, we would have gone somewhere by now. Clearly a man with a vision I must say.

This is a throwback interview with Shariif Xasan.

06 October 2005

Exclusive: Interview with Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden, Speaker of Parliament, Transitional Federal Parliament of the Somali Republic

By Richard Evans, Editor of Jane’s Terrorism and Insurgency Centre

After 14 years without a functioning government, Somalia now has a Parliament, a cabinet, and a President. However many Parliamentarians are concerned that neighbouring Ethiopia is trying to stifle development of the new institutions. They further claim that Addis Ababa is arming various factions in a bid to maintain instability. What do you believe is really occurring here?

In my view, Ethiopia does not want a functioning government in Somalia and I want to see that the world knows this. Even if Ethiopia does want a government here, it wants a fiefdom government - multiple governments which are all weak.

Some people believe Ethiopia is supporting specific groups, but really it’s not supporting anyone [specifically]; you can supply weapons to one group, but you know that often they don’t even have, for example, fuel for themselves - so they sell some of their guns to other groups. Then everyone has them. They [Ethiopia] know the weapons are going to the other groups and producing instability. So all sides are arming themselves. This is my personal view regarding the behaviour of Ethiopia.

The Somali parliament is now installed in Mogadishu, yet the President and the Executive have yet to take their places there, citing security concerns. What is the security situation in the capital at present?

There are four main groups holding weapons in Mogadishu; warlords, businessmen, Islamic courts, and freelance individual clans.

If the business community and the warlords give up their arms then no-one who is left will be able to keep theirs. The warlords, businessman, half the Islamic courts and the freelancers will be willing to go wherever they might be paid. The other Islamic courts are saying that they want to see other parties give up their guns first.

I can’t say that Mogadishu is secure - it’s somewhere that for the last 14 years has had no functioning police or security service. But no-one seems to be reflecting the current reality there. In February I visited Mogadishu and met with all sections of the community there - they told me that the wanted peace and security. They also told me they were willing to have peace [keeping] troops - but not if they were from front-line states.

I visited again in May and we reached an agreement to remove many of the militias and military technicals [flat-bed trucks fitted with crew-served weapons]. By the end of May, they [warlords and businessmen in Mogadishu] said they had moved more than 2,500 militia and 140 technicals [outside the city]. They have removed a lot of the illegal roadblocks. This was done with no assistance from the international community.

So do you feel that conditions now exist for the President and the Executive to relocate to the capital?

The parliament is now seated in Mogadishu to face the challenges ahead and to try to implement some reform in the country. But unless they [the President and Executive] are present we cannot do anything. If they return, the people of Somalia can start to trust them.

If the current political crisis cannot be resolved, do you believe there is a risk of a return to civil war?

I think something can be done to avoid bloodshed. I see that the mandate of the UN Special Representative Francois Fall is something which we should support. If he is given support for his mission then something can be done to avoid it. Somalia is fed up of war; we need a peace plan, not a war plan.

What is the situation regarding the Somali economy?

The situation remains serious. All our financial institutions have collapsed. We have appealed to the international community for assistance, but they need to know where the money is going. We need Parliament to be independent of the Government and for it [Parliament] to provide oversight of the accounts.

We need a proper system of remittance for Members of Parliament. Every member of Parliament needs to be able to operate independently and be able to take [financial] decisions themselves. The Parliament has been established for more than a year now and they [Parliamentarians] have not received any pay.

How would you respond to the fears expressed by some in the international community that a country like Somalia is providing a haven for international Jihadist groups?

I do believe that a lot of this [discussion of the harbouring or terrorists] is propaganda put about by some elements with a political agenda. But it’s difficult for us to provide some clarity on this - we have been without security or intelligence services for a very long time. I think that they [international jihadist groups] are not in Somalia for the time being - but if they are there, then the only way we can trace them is when there is a functioning intelligence system, instead of us just thinking about whether or not such groups might be present. The international community must focus on helping us to establish a fully functioning government if we are to effectively deal with this sort of danger, especially in Mogadishu.

The International Maritime Bureau has again expressed concern about the rise in piracy off the coast of Somalia. What are your views on this problem and how it should be addressed?

This situation is unacceptable and I hope that something can be done about it. It is the Somali people who are suffering. There is also a problem with heavy shipping dumping toxic waste [off Somalia] and we are facing serious environmental damage. Our coastline is being used as a dumping ground ….and we don’t have the ability to control out own coastline. I would appeal to the international community - especially the UK and the US - to help us protect this coastline until we are able to do so ourselves.

p1124182.jpg

Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden

That was last year, since then he has declined in stature. While his ertswhile rival Geedi has grown..

Duke, you know you lying to yourself kiddo.. Tell me how that useless Geedi had grown?

By doing this,

DEC_1_2006%20copy.jpg

You a funny kid, you trying to convince us that the sky is green. Go tell that to Geedi, I know he will probably believe u. Geedi ain't nothing and he lost the respect of the Somalis long time ago.

You know you gotta love and respect this great man, read this.

shariif-hassan.jpg

Somali speaker says Ethiopian troops must leave

By Daniel Wallis

Sunday, December 03, 2006

NAIROBI, Dec 3 (Reuters) - Ethiopia has a massive military force of 15,000 men in Somalia and will be to blame for any war in the chaotic Horn of Africa state, the speaker of parliament in Somalia's interim government said on Sunday

Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan rejected a U.S. draft resolution before the United Nations that would relax an arms embargo in order to let regional peacekeeping forces enter Somalia, saying it could jeopardise talks between his government and rival Islamists.

Adan, one of the top leaders of the weak Western-backed Somali administration, has been making efforts to reconcile it with the newly powerful Somalia Islamic Courts Council (SICC).

He was scathing about Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, who he said was destabilising the country by sending in a "massive military force" of men and equipment.

"Estimates by experts say there are around 15,000 (Ethiopian) troops now in Somalia," Adan told Reuters in an interview.

"They are not just sending a fighting force but the families of these fighters as well ... If war takes place now, it will be the responsibility of Ethiopia and its prime minister."

Addis Ababa is the main backer of Adan's fragile government, which has been confined to the provincial town of Baidoa by the rapid territorial gains of the Mogadishu-based Islamic courts.

Ethiopia denies sending any troops over the border, and says it only has several hundred armed military trainers in Somalia.

On Thursday, parliament in Addis Ababa voted to let Meles' government take "all necessary" steps to any Islamist invasion.

"ETHIOPIA MUST WITHDRAW"

Adan said Ethiopia had a free hand in Somalia for years, selling weapons to warlords whose militias carved up the country following the fall of former dictator Siad Barre in 1991.

"To avert war, Ethiopia must withdraw its troops without conditions and support the ongoing negotiations between the Somali sides to create peace," Adan said through a translator.

He flew to Mogadishu last month to meet the Islamists to try to restart Arab League-sponsored talks between them and his government that collapsed on Nov. 1 in Sudan's capital Khartoum.

But the deal he agreed with the SICC -- to resume discussions on political and security issues and power-sharing -- was rejected the next day by his own cabinet, which said it saw his meetings with the Islamists as a "personal" affair.

Adan, whose good relations with the SICC and some of their businessmen backers has put him at odds with President Abdullahi Yusuf and Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi, said his position allowed him to negotiate in the "best interest" of all Somalis.

At the time, diplomats hailed the speaker's backchannel initiative as the best chance Somalia had of avoiding war, which experts fear could suck in the armies of neighbouring states.

Adan said he was hopeful negotiations between the two sides would resume in Sudan in mid-December.

But he echoed the concerns of European experts that a draft proposal by the United States at the U.N. Security Council to let east African peacekeepers enter Somalia put that at risk.

Talks about the arms embargo should come later, he said.

"The timing of this proposal is not right ... It is not possible to solve Somalia's crisis by military means," he said, adding that if the U.N. adopted the resolution, it would be seen as legitimising the Ethiopian military presence in Somalia.

"The next Khartoum talks are only 10 or 15 days away. Unless we make sure they resume, the worst consequences will happen."

Source: Reuters, Dec 03, 2006

Abwaan   

Ar u sug bal plz yaan la degdegine anigu runtii waxaan u arkaa sxbkeen nin is bedbedel badan (Xagaayo iga dheh).

To be honest waa ka wadanisan yahay kuwa Tikreega u adeega ee Baydhabo dhooban balse dhowr jeer buu isaguba gefey (in kastoo aadanuhu gefi karo), haddii caddayn la rabona waxaa ka mid ah safarkii uu markii hore C/llaahi Yuusuf Itoobiya ugu raacay markii labadoodaba la doortay isagoon ka talo qaadan xubnihiisa Baarlamaanka iyo isagoo shirkii Cadan ka dib Baydhabo hore uga guuray ansixiyeyna in Tikreega maanta jooga la keeno, marka anigu shakhsiyan madaxweyne iska daaye jagada uu haysto waan ka qaadi lahaa Mr Qaadwale....dembise uma raacdeen oo wax badan buu taray oo sida C/llaahi, Geedi iyo Xuseen caydiid oo saddexdooduba sidaan u arko waxba ku fiicnayn (aan ka ahayn in cadowga Soomaali loo shaqeeyo ka ahayn) ma ahan.