Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Analysis: U.S. return to Somalia limited

NASSIR   

By CHRIS TOMLINSON

NAIROBI, Kenya — More than a decade ago, Somalia was a low point in America's history of nation-building, when clan militiamen shot down two Black Hawk helicopters and killed 18 U.S. servicemen.

Now, the United States is engaged in Somalia again. This time, its goals and tactics are more limited _ chasing Islamic terrorists.

It's pursuing them with air power, but no large deployment on the ground. A U.S. Air Force Spectre gunship targeted a suspected base for al-Qaida members sought for the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania that left 225 people dead.

Counterterrorism experts long have feared anarchic Somalia could become a haven for al-Qaida, pushed out of Afghanistan and under pressure in Iraq, and this week's airstrikes demonstrate Washington is intent on preventing Islamic militants from threatening chances for restoring a working Somali government.

The Americans also are likely intent on keeping that effort limited, to avoid any repeat of U.S. venture into Somalia in the early 1990s.

The U.S. sent troops more than a decade ago as part of a huge U.N. relief operation for tens of thousands of civilians left starving because of fighting among Somalia's clans, and the Americans soon became entangled in a military effort to quell a dangerous warlord in Mogadishu.

In 1993, Somali clan militiamen shot down two Black Hawk helicopters and killed 18 American soldiers in a battle recounted in the book and movie "Black Hawk Down."

The images of gunmen dragging the bodies of U.S. soldiers through the streets became an icon for those opposed to U.S. involvement overseas. President Clinton ordered a U.S. withdrawal and promised to never again deploy troops unless there was a clear U.S. national interest.

Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden later called the U.S. withdrawal a victory for Islam that proved America was weak and vulnerable to further attacks.

The U.N. peacekeeping operation in Somalia also was scaled back, then abandoned in 1995.

Washington largely turned its back on Somalia as clan violence and anarchy prevented any government from taking power. The country became the prototypical failed state, with warlords dividing the country into fiefdoms and young gunmen killing, raping and stealing with impunity.

A lone U.S. diplomat was assigned to keep track of Somalia from neighboring Kenya, but little serious attention was paid until the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on New York and Washington. Suddenly the danger of lawless countries became evident and the Pentagon feared terrorists fleeing U.S. attack in Afghanistan would go to Somalia.

In 2002, U.S. Marines deployed to a former French Foreign Legion base in nearby Djibouti, a small country on the Bab el Mandab strait where the Red Sea opens into the Indian Ocean. Djibouti borders northern Somalia and is the traditional gateway between Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

The Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, with about 1,800 personnel, has seen its mission evolve from capturing or killing terrorists to training local military forces, providing aid to the needy and gathering intelligence.

In Yemen and Kenya, the task force trained new coast guards and recently gave Kenya three patrol boats. In Djibouti and Ethiopia, U.S. troops train soldiers to better guard their borders. The task force also has built medical clinics in rural parts of Tanzania and Uganda and provided training for physicians in Yemen and soldiers in Djibouti.

The CIA, meanwhile, continued to hunt al-Qaida suspects hiding in Somalia, using clan warlords as proxies. At least two Arab al-Qaida suspects were turned over to the CIA, The Associated Press learned from Kenyan officials and Somalis working with the warlords.

In 2004, the United Nations anointed a transitional government for Somalia, the 14th attempt since 1991 to establish the rule of law. But the Mogadishu warlords refused to cooperate and the government ended up in the central town of Baidoa, 150 miles from the capital.

Last January, Islamic militants with alleged ties to al-Qaida began to fight the warlords _ who were backed by the CIA _ and by August had extended their control over most of southern Somalia.

Despite peace efforts, the Islamic militia advanced on Baidoa, leading neighboring Ethiopia to intervene with its military on the side of Somalia's interim government Dec. 24, after months of consultations with top U.S. diplomats and military officials.

Defeated Islamic fighters fled the battle zone and are now pinned up in the southernmost corner of the country, under heavy attack from Somali government troops and their Ethiopian allies _ and now U.S. airpower.

Washington's goal is to destroy the militia as a fighting force and give the transitional government a chance to restore order, removing Somalia as a potential base for extremists. It's also pushing to put together a peacekeeping operation with African troops.

___

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/4458233.html

Now, the United States is engaged in Somalia again. This time, its goals and tactics are more limited _ chasing Islamic terrorists

So, Let me ask the chief[Doorknob] here, You seriously and honestly believe that there are ALQAEDA operatives in Southern Somalia,precisly in Afmadow,Dhoobley & the entire waamo region???

A simple Yes or No please..do not go on with usual verbal diarehea eh?

NASSIR   

I knew U.S was involved in this war and even initiated the defensive position of the TFG if you look at my earlier posts.

At last, Washignton is paying attention to the anarchic situation of Somalia. With huge financial support, I believe TFG will build a viable adminstration by being directly in touch with the general masses and attenuate their fears.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=008164

Originally posted by Caamir:

I knew U.S was involved in this war and even initiated the defensive position of the TFG if you look at my earlier posts.

At last, Washignton is paying attention to the anarchic situation of Somalia. With huge financial support, I believe TFG will build a viable adminstration by being directly in touch with the general masses and attenuate their fears.

Ok, they [Gaalo=Americans] will build and rebuild and you will believe it, and we [the muslim insurgency] will be proven wrong as you benefit their help only because you left Islam for Gaalnimo!

I hear you......

Originally posted by Caamir:

Yes or NO?

NASSIR   

Brown, I am as concerned as you are of the civilian casualties in these areas of target, so whether there are AlQaeda operatives in these areas is up to the U.S intelligence. I intuit their presence from the verbal testimony of Hassan Turki through which he justifies the implication and support of the foreign fighters. However, if you conclude Turki's proclamation slipped unwittingly, TFG is not to blame but the man who roused the world into fever pitch by his wild oratory in attempt to scare all other authoraties in Somalia.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Brown:

quote:Now, the United States is engaged in Somalia again. This time, its goals and tactics are more limited _ chasing Islamic terrorists

So, Let me ask the chief[Doorknob] here, You seriously and honestly believe that there are ALQAEDA operatives in Southern Somalia,precisly in Afmadow,Dhoobley & the entire waamo region???

A simple Yes or No please..do not go on with usual verbal diarehea eh?
I knew again this was going to happen. Brother I briefly analyzed the fate of the innocent people before this air strikes were to begun.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=008268;p=2#000017

RedSea   

Qabalists with fox news,far right kind of mentality,great,and being doorknob even makes it that much amusing to me.Goodness,when will these people ever see things from their OWN perspective instead of being misled to believe which that they dont' have much knowleadge of. :rolleyes:

Brown..sxb.signatureka doorknobka ayaaba idilay aniga.

NASSIR   

You should really write more of uniting Somalis than for disintegrating them. You are secessionists who is gravely burdened by the possibility of a viable government in the South. I don't want to parrot Duke's request, but it is time that you address Riyale and his cohorts that have kept deluding you guys into believing that you have a state of your own and that is completely detached from any connextion whatsoever with Somalia.