Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Visa ban for Somalis in UAE is likely to be lifted’

Visa ban for Somalis is likely to be lifted’

By Afkar Abdullah

13 November 2004

DUBAI — With the establishment of a new government in Somalia, the ban on the issuance of UAE visas to the Somalis as well as the export of Somali livestock to many countries, including the UAE, is expected to be lifted, said the Prime Minister of Somalia, Ali Mohammed Gaiddi, in an exclusive interview with Khaleej Times yesterday.

It is to be mentioned here that a couple of months ago, the UAE authorities had banned entry visas to the Somalis because the country was not functioning under a government.

Since the situations has now changed, the ban imposed on the Somali people as well as livestock will be lifted, said Gaiddi, who was appointed some 30 hours before the death of Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan as Somalia's first civilian prime minister since the overthrow of the central government nearly 14 years ago.

Gaiddi was recently on a visit to the UAE to offer condolences on behalf of the government and people of Somalia over the passing of Shaikh Zayed.

He said his government understood that the ban on the Somali people and the livestock had adversely affected the Somali community that had been expanding constantly over the last five years due to their growing business interest in the UAE and the region. However, he added that the governments of various countries, including the UAE, have a right to ban the import of Somali livestock into their country as there were no inspections and valid certifications. “After the structuring of the cabinet, we will work on solving such problems,†he stressed.

“The day I was appointed as prime minister, I decided to devise a political programme to structure the cabinet, which will work on maintaining the security and stability in the country to start reconstruction. However, the reconstruction process cannot be initiated without the peace on ground," he said, adding: "We are talking of a country which has completely self-destructed. The infrastructure has been destroyed almost entirely.. So it's going to be an enormous task.â€

To a question about the fighting in Magadeshu last month, he said the Somali government officials are not seeking recognition from the various factions in the country. The disputes among these factions will not affect structuring of the government as well as the unity of the country, he added.

The new prime minister stressed that his government will be prepared to negotiate with these faction leaders — especially those in Magadeshu who enjoy some support. The government will also work for disarming the militants in all the regions and persuade the faction leaders to give up their power in order to maintain security, he added.

“We are planning to accommodate militants into the national army and provide them with advanced military training so that they form a part of the country's defence force. To achieve these plans, the government will ask the peace-keeping troops of the African Union to assist it in collecting arms from the militants. Members of the militant factions have not taken up arms in defence of an issue, but as a tool of survival,†he added.

About the possibility of running the country while being on ground, he said: "We have no plans to be an exiled government, our first plan is to secure Magadeshu, which is still fully armed. It is being controlled by opposing factions. We are planning to send people belonging to various original clans to the country so that they start making the members of the clans aware of the importance of unity in country's peace and freedom. My plan is to appoint a committee consisting of various members of the clans to work on paving the way for the government to enter the country by assuring the militants that they will be working in the national army, police and other armed forces. Once all these plans are achieved, the government will definitely establish its base in Magadeshu."

About the recent approval by the federal parliament about the appointment government officials from the parliament, Gaiddi said that two contradictory Articles cannot be included in the constitution, with the first one saying that the president and the prime minister can appoint cabinet members both from inside and outside of the parliament and the other one saying that the cabinet can only comprise members belonging to the parliament.

“We are consulting international lawyers in this regard. The two articles are still part of the constitution and we many make use of both,†he added.

Gaiddi paid rich tributes to the late president, Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, and hailed his wisdom and excellent political stability "that would serve as an example for Somalia to emulate."

Salma   

I read that from Awdal News today. It's great news really. I don't see Somalis much in UAE & I miss the Heavy guests in our house too LOL JK

It's really good news. But U know guyz Dubai is not like Abu Dhabi at all. The Somali man with resident visa can bring his wife and parents by a visit visa while in Abu Dhabi its not possible. Even Somalis with UAE passports cant bring their relatives :mad:

So probably they will start lifting the banning in Dubai first then in the rest of the Emirates. Dubai is the city of trade & business and I believe they will do anything to run their own businesses. Besides in the government of Dubai they were trying their best to lift the ban ever since the ban was issued.

This is really good news in the Eid smile.gif

Thanx SNW

Salma   

Originally posted by Nationalist:

Classique, bear in mind that it's
likely
to be lifted. I don't trust the Arabs for a dime. Every Somali can attest to that.

Be optimistic brother, you never know. It's better than "Banned for ever, with or without governement"

You don't have to trust anybody, trust no one and follow where you good is.

Salam

OG_Girl   

Originally posted by Nationalist:

Classique, bear in mind that it's likely to be lifted. I don't trust the Arabs for a dime. Every Somali can attest to that.

Don't trust "Arabs"? Just wondering have you any clue that Arabs are 22 countries and generazing whole nation like this is not good?

Wondering what you would say if I say I don't trust " your clan" whom are few thousands or so? You would eat me alive and you say you don't trust whole nation redface.gifredface.gif

Salam

I will tell you a little story my dear.

One day my cousins and I were in Dubai for two weeks before our departure to Somalia. We went to Jumeyrah beach. We went with the bus. We stepped out of the bus too early, and before we knew it, we had to walk 1 mile under the scorching sun and blazing heat to the next busstop. Anyone who is familiar with Dubai during the summer can understand that we were almost dying when we finally reached the busstop. Of course we stopped to make some pictures of ourselves in front of a beautiful building but we had no water. We are talking life and death here, sister!

Anyway we finally reached the busstop and waited for another 20 minutes. Than the bus arrived, but it looked kind of full. Sure enough you could still easily squeeze 10 more people and we were with the 6 of us.

Yet the Arab busdriver looked at us and saw 6 big sweaty Somali lads. He immedeately said: "Bus full, bus full!" We said: "what!!" Before he answered us, he stepped on the gas. And gone was he. Why on earth would he have stopped if the bus was full? At least 30 minutes later the next bus was even fuller but we could step in with no problem. The busdriver was an Indian, maybe that was the helping factor.

This is how 'some' Arabs are like. Perhaps not all.

But we are getting a bit off topic here, aren't we?

OG_Girl   

lol and you took it as personal huh? who said couldn't happen to another Arabs?

Brother even egyptions, syrians and rest of Arab they treat them same. Arabs are just like somalis they don't like each other.

Being both Arab and Somali believe me I know how it is better than any one else.

Plus when you speak broken Arabic or classic ( Quraan language..lol) that even makes worse ask my uncle Moti icon_razz.gif

No we are not off topic. The topic just information given to "you". :D

Salam

Salma   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

lol and you took it as personal huh? who said couldn't happen to another Arabs?

I really don't know what to comment here except that Og-Girl don't bother urself dear. Our people hate the Arabs more than anybody else. So don't waste ur time explaining .

Nationalist is talking about one sitatuion in a Bus-Stop in Dubai as if he was tortured in the Arab's Jails for a decade or something.

This could happened to u anywhere and by anyone not only by Arab Drivers. Or.... lemme c.. maybe the Yankeez, the Brits,the Aussis and the Euros wouldn't do the same 2 u. Coz some ppl believe they are not biased, they know democracy,justice and Human Rights.. bla bla bla bla.

Again: I pray they lift the ban so that our brothers and sisters in Somalia can run their businesses, get medication and visit their relatives n UAE.

Salam

NGONGE   

Heh. You took a bus in Dubai? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why man? Why? Couldn't you afford a Taxi? NOBODY takes buses in Dubai, saaxib. Well, at least not tourists.

Heh. Frankly, you deserve all you got, man. You took the Bush. Heh. :D

Lol Ngonge. Well we were advised to take the bus by almost every Somali. Also the local busstation in Deira was right in front of our hotel: the Somali owned Golden Star hotel. It was the first and last time we would ever take the bus in Dubai.

We were sitting in the bus right, till a woman demanded us to stand up. We were about to get really angry, till we saw the sign: WOMEN SEATS!

We looked at the back of the bus and every seat was occupied and the Indians were giggling as if they see these kind of clueless Somalis all the time. Very frustrating city, I'm telling you mate.