Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Puppet government scraps disarmament plans

Castro   

Somalia's transitional Government says it is indefinitely abandoning plans to disarm civilians and clan militias in the capital, Mogadishu, after an outbreak of violent protests there.

About 200 people took to the streets south of the capital, Mogadishu, chanting "We don't want disarmament, we don't need Ethiopians here".

They threw stones, blocked roads and lit up tyres.

Ethiopian forces fired shots into the air to disperse the youths.

A number of people were injured when a grocer opened fire on some of the demonstrators, who tried to loot his shop.

On Monday, Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Ghedi announced a three day-ultimatum for people to surrender their weapons or face forceful disarmament, but the order went largely unheeded.

Heavily-armed Ethiopian forces helped the Somalian Government drive out Islamists rebels from Mogadishu a week ago, ending six months of Islamist rule across much of southern Somalia.

ABC News

That is sad news to read. We need people to disarm so that we can move forward. A puppet government is better than a series of warring fiefdoms.

Jabhad   

The city of 2+ million moved forward volunterily during 6+ months of ICU rule after the defeat of the warring fiefdoms. Remember business community dissarmed volunterily when ICU requested and the public was next to be dissarmed before the Ethiopian invasion. Now are you saying they should hand their weapons to the same warlords[government of warlords] and their Ethiopian master which was their main supporters during those dark days..Sxb lets not blind ourselves from the reality in Somalia..

Somalia's transitional Government says it is indefinitely abandoning plans to disarm civilians and clan militias in the capital, Mogadishu, after an outbreak of violent protests there.

I dont trust this line. Maxay udan lehyihiin?

Better a puppet goverment than a puppet militia,as it was with the ICU.But what do the Qabiil infested lot care about than their own militia?No word can bring back the militia again,they are as good as a cremated sick body.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

A puppet government is better than a series of warring fiefdoms.

A government that is based on baadhil is better?

wallaalo,

1st, lordh there are so many points there i dont know where to begin .. so i'll randomly try.

n-syl

The Voluntry disarmament, was more complex than that and ivolved many issues, not least clan related. I dont discredit the achievement, on the contrary, the current lot need to learn a lot from diplomacy, and end their triumphalist, up their own back end talk.

But you must admit that process was far more complex than just, 'people were happy to comply'.

-

The next thing is the point of a state. By definition, a state has monopoly on violence , and in any reasonable state, these instituations are the police and military. Otherwise, individuals within the state are able to contest it for power, and we have somalia - the architpe *failed state* - a phrase that more than anything else is attributed with somalis and i hate more than you can imagine.

Anyhow, i think it is worth building a state, otherwise a nation only serves the intersts of individuals not the populous.. Now i dont claim that the Traitorous Feudal Gangsters are any such thing, but we need to start somewhere, and they are currently in a possition to do something...

The point of setting up a state is that you ave institutions. If the work, then a government is more than a set of figure heads, i am nieve/****** enough to believe/hope that institutions can replaced without loss of blood.

However, private armies are something else all together, they serve no one except their pay master and are the cancers of africa.

The sweet irony may be that the TFG's dowfall may even be its hope of wanting to get away from being Zenawi's private army to being a government. Because as soon as instutions are in place, they either follow the rules, or take back to uncivil war. -- hence as a population, we can be no more worse off.

(TFG for example) however but this

Also, lets not forget that we are talking about people here. Behind virtually every AK47 is some flee bitten, war ravagged, bitter somali, many no more teenage kids - the ethiopians have Migs and tanks. And, yes a government of Theiving Feudal Gangsters is far from ideal, but, *right now* as things stand on the ground what is the alternative - without some other war.

Guerilla warfare is not a viable alternative, if you want evidence, look at the number of Iraqi citizens that die as a direct result of "the strugle". Violent revolutions dont last, historically they are short and brutish. And, as I write this, i cant think of any state born out of such a fire that does not conform to that description.

So, as i write this, on my flashy flat screen monitor, I cannnot and will not advocate/suppport a violent struggle, that will only result in killing more somali people and further stregthening our hyena neighbours and their stoogs.

The only kind of struggle that makes sense and will have any hope of lasting is the intellectual kind. We can undermine this regime, we can hold it accountable for its actions, and we can use intergrity, honesty and the institutions it aims to set up to beat them off.

Remember, they only have power while the Ethiopian ragime is around, and most Ethiopians i know hate that regime. Once that is gone, they have to face us, and we've faced ugly cannibals like them before.

This may not be out usual *somali* course of action, but now is as good a time as any to start.

--

(sorry for the rant)

Warmoog   

Say it together now kids: "I loves my gun, loves my gun."

So the disbarment is proving unsuccessful. Is it any wonder, considering all that is going on in southern Somalia at the moment? Today, Muqdisho is more dangerous and chaotic than it has been in months; the disgraced, Mafioso-like warlords are moving back into their old turf; and Ethiopian soldiers, whom the average pedestrian views as foreign occupiers, are stomping all over the place with their owns weapons in plain sight. In the midst of all this, you have some nutcases in a puppet regime that is now more mistrusted than ever before telling 'the people', whose interests they clearly do not serve, to hand over their weapons? C'mon. It is easy to bemoan the presently unsuccessful disarmament from the comfort of one's home in the West, but most sane people would not give up their arms in that kind of a situation.

Some can not contain their clan hate no longer, Mr Castro is running around talking about a insulting the Somali national government, why?

A confused clanist, pretending to be a nationalist is quite amusing to say the least.

However nothing will change the reality on the ground, the TFG was never given hope and now it is the single strongest power in the country.

So secessionist, ex warlord, ex courts supporters join the bandwagon and keep your sanity.

Duke

Please dont throw the *clanist* line, as a counter argument to why a goverment based on a clan system should be put in power, it contradicts its self.

Warmoog

how many guns do you carry in Toronto and when will you be martyred in moqadishu. I tell you what, you can do a version of "sponsor a child".

Lets call it "sponsor a militia-man". This is how it works, you give your passport, appartment, pc and your monthly cheque to a militia man in muqdishi and in return, you get his AK47 and take his place in the front line.

There is no argument about the yeey in muqdisho. The point is (1). We need a state, they have a chance of setting one up. (2) A gun held by a shop keeper is nothig, the real weapons are held by militia men that represent clans -- they are ones that you need to disarm,

They will not and cannot fight the ethiopians (something called self perservation and being out gunned) - but they can fight teh somalis. The militias represent parallel power structure and nothing can be done when there are as many armies as clans fighting for power.

^^^CG, you are contradicting yourself, the man Confused Castro here has shown over time here to hold deep hate for a specefic clan.

I remmeber him crying about the size of Puntland and claiming that all from that clan "wanted to be president" and making some snide jokes.

Thus what drives him today, is not nationalisam but clan hate.

As for the system, its the best formula the Somali's could come up with, what suggestion do you have, hold elections without a census, in a land [2004] held by clan warlords? Thus this formula was one set in Djibuti, it was hailed then as suceess by those who supported Abdiqasin, now its wrong since he lost the election. The irony, brother.

"I loves my gun, loves my gun."

I would add that some here, would love an all out clan war, one they predicted for two years. Thus insha Allah there will be no war and this government will move forward. As it has done past two weeks.

Originally posted by mystic:

Now the Ethiopians are killing young Somalis hah?

They have done that some weeks ago.Actually they have done that 100s of years ago & we have in turn killed more of them. Its been like this for ages. Only this time,a few of our warlords invited this enemy

Dhubad.   

^^A bbc reporter (from the Somali branch) by the name Bashka Jug Kasoo dhacahy was reporting from the front line between the Kenya and Somali border two days ago, he was with the Kenyan army and he said "We made the Ethiopian army somewhere the border between Kenya and Somalia. To his surprise half of the men on both sides were ethnically Somali and the people being hunted are Somalis"

What a humiliation ?